ISO: your favorite quick bread recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO: your favorite quick bread recipes

Since my ds is allergic to yeast and other additives present in store-bought breads and sweets, I need to find some healthy recipes that he can take to work with him. What are some of your favorite quick bread recipes.
    PS, he is also allergic to ingredients in all chocolates except cocoa. I can substitute soy margarine for butter, goats milk for cows milk, and oils he cannot eat to oils that he can.

Sorry, all mine has yeast. I'll be on the lookout for you.

Comment

quick breads, as in banana bread, pumpkin bread, coconut bread, carrot bread, corn bread, muffins, biscuits...those kinds of things. I'm looking for healthy breads. Can have vegetables in them too.

Comment

Bean posted the following - it is amazing. Another I found follows this one. Also, here's a link to some other quick breads

http://southernfood.about.com/od/quickbreadrecipes/Quick_Bread_Recipes.htm

Harvest Pumpkin-Pineapple Loaf

Baking pumpkin bread is practically an autumn requirement. Or knowing someone who does.
        This is one quick bread with an actual vegetable baked into it, and that vegetable is a great source of vitamin A (carotenoids, that is, including beta carotene).
        Crushed pineapple adds moistness to the loaf, and all the natural juices are included as liquid in the recipe.
        Most pumpkin loaves are made with vegetable oil - sometimes so much you feel like wringing out each oily slice - but this particular pineapple version calls for a stick of real butter.
        Enjoy a slice or two for breakfast, as a snack with a cup of hot tea or as a Sunday morning coffee cake. This pumpkin bread is much more nutritious than most bakery buys.

Harvest Pumpkin-Pineapple Loaf

Non-stick cooking spray
        2-1/2 cups sugar
        1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
        1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin
        1 (8-1/4-oz.) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
        4 eggs
        3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
        2 teaspoons baking soda
        2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
        1 teaspoon salt
        Powdered sugar

Yield: 2 loaves

Baking time: 1 hour

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray two 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pans with cooking spray. In a mixer bowl, beat together sugar and butter until blended. Add pumpkin, undrained pineapple and eggs. Beat well. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt; add to pumpkin mixture, mixing until dry ingredients are just moistened. Divide batter into prepared pans; spread evenly. Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.

Loaves can more easily be sliced if served the next day. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top of each loaf just before slicing, if desired.

Recipe from the Canned Food Alliance.

Apple Orange Nut Bread

4 cups all-purpose flour
        2 teaspoons baking powder
        2 teaspoons baking soda
        1 1/2 teaspoons salt
        2/3 cup vegetable shortening
        2 cups sugar
        3 eggs
        1 teaspoon shredded orange peel
        2/3 cup orange juice
        2 1/2 cups coarsely grated peeled apples
        1 1/2 cups raisins
        1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar together until creamy. Beat in eggs until light and fluffy. Combine orange peel and orange juice, apple, raisins and nuts; add to sugar and egg mixture. Add flour mixture and stir until dry ingredients are just moistened.

Bake apple nut bread in 2 greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pans at 350 for 40 to 50 minutes or until bread tests done.

Makes 2 loaves of apple orange nut bread.

Comment

Prune Bread

This is moist and absolutely delicious. I can no longer find "prune" baby food, but I think they have renamed it "plum". I really doesn't matter what it is called, it is so good.

Prune Bread

2 cups sugar
          1 cup oil
          3 eggs
          2 small jars prunes baby food
          2 1/2 cups flour
          1 tsp. cinnamon
          1 tsp baking soda dissolved in:
          1 cup buttermilk
          1 tsp. vanilla
          1/2 tsp. salt

Mix together. Grease 2 loaf pans and bake at 325F for 1 hour or until done.

This is the moistest bread I make and is beautiful dark color. Everyone loves this bread, I just never tell anyone what is in it until after they try it.
          A man of words and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds.

Comment

Working...
          X