Best fried chicken recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best fried chicken recipes

I'm craving fried chicken and would like to know what your recipe is.
    "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Re: Best fried chicken recipes

I quite often season my dredging flour with Old Bay - it's a Mid-Atlantic thing. Once upon a time Old Bay was available only in this area.

Comment

Not sure which site I found this on, but I've been using this one for years...

Leila's Crispy Buttermilk Fried Chicken
      Makes approximately 8 servings

This wonderful fried chicken was prepared for my family by Leila - an amazing woman who worked for us and practically raised my brother and I up from pups. It is full of delicious flavor and has the kind of crispy coating that you'll never forget. It is also fried chicken, so nowadays it's something that is served for special occasions only!

3-4 pounds cut-up frying chicken
      2 cups buttermilk
      2 cups self-rising flour
      Ground black pepper, to taste
      Paprika, to taste
      Garlic powder, to taste
      Vegetable oil for frying

Step 1 - Cut your chicken into parts and wash well. Place in a large bowl and pour buttermilk over. Allow to sit for at least an hour.

Step 2 - Mix and sift together flour, black pepper, paprika and garlic powder.

Step 3 - Pour enough oil in a large, cast iron skillet to fill it about an inch deep. Heat to 375 degrees. Use a thermometer to carefully regulate the temperature and prevent the oil from burning.

Step 4 - Remove each piece of chicken from the buttermilk and shake to remove the excess. Dredge in the seasoned flour.

Step 5 - Drop pieces in the hot oil, four at a time. Do not crowd, as this will reduce the temperature of the oil and cause the chicken to absorb more grease. I like starting with dark meat pieces first and saving the white meat for the last. Cook each piece six minutes per side. Turn when the underside is nice and brown. To ensure doneness, cut a small hole in the thickest part - the juices should run clear.

Step 6 - Serve and enjoy - either hot from the pan or room temperature! Despite some of the nutritional counts of this recipe, it is practically unbeatable for bringing back the taste (and smell) of home.

Comment

I cannot use buttermilk because my ds is allergic to cows milk, but those spices sound good and I know that self-rising flour makes the crust crunchier.

Comment

I've never had a recipe, but other then using paprika and garlic powder, thats the way I make mine. I will try those spices next time I fry chicken, Thanx!
          I organize chores into catagories.
          Things I won't do now; things I won't do later; things I'll never do.

Comment

Here's the link to a previous thread about fried chicken

http://copykatchat.com/showthread.php?t=32312&highlight=fried+chicken
            The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

I was looking online for a fried chicken recipe the other day and found a few on foodnetwork.com. I am always interested in finding recipes I love and making them healthy. I found fried chicken that you make in the oven. Has anyone ever tried this? Is it in any way close to being as good as old fashion fried chicken? The recipe also called for skinning the chicken.

Comment

I haven't fried a chicken in years. I skin my pieces (or use breasts or boneless, skinless thighs) and do one of two things:

I will marinate the chicken in a mixture of no-fat yoghurt and spices for a few hours, shake off the excess marinade and roll the chicken in Italian bread crumbs, then bake at 325 degrees till done--about an hour. Remember to spray your baking sheet so the pieces don't stick.

I will dip the skinless chicken in Ceasar or Ranch dressing, then roll in crumbs and bake as above.

In my opinion, just as tasty with waaaaaaaay less fat and cholesterol. You can vary the crumb mixture for different tastes too.
                Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Hey, Ginger.. I actually had a couple of chicken breasts thawing while I was reading your suggestion. Was going to make lemon pepper chicken. But, decided to go with your idea of dipping in Ceasar Dressing, then Italian Bread crumbs and baking. Got them in the oven now!

325 for two boneless, skinless breasts? I am thinking turn them after 15 minutes, then maybe another 15? I am cooking them uncovered..
                  Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I haven't fried chicken in a long time, but this simple recipe has intrigued me all week.

Get a can of Durkee's Onion Rings & chop 'em up real good. Dredge the chicken parts in a beaten egg then roll 'em around in the onion rings & fry 'em up. I'm just sayin'.....

Sounds good to me!
                    "WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Comment

darn, I just fixed me a chicken breast the old fashioned way....salt, pepper & garlic under the broiler. Wish I would have read this first!
                      "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

Add a good pinch of POULTRY SEASONING to you flourr/seasoning. Adjust to the amount of chicken you will be frying.

Comment

Working...
                        X