Bonnie Tweed cake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnie Tweed cake?

A resident's wife at work was telling me about this cake. I've never heard of it and was hoping that someone out there has and has a recipe.

Thanks

Re: Bonnie Tweed cake?

I have James Beard's recipe for a "tweed" cake but there's no Bonnie in the name of it.

Beard's Chocolate Tweed Cake
    Grease and flour 10" angel food pan or a 9x13 pan.
    Preheat oven to 350

Instant mashed potato flakes or granules for 2 servings
    1 3/4 c flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp sale
    1/2 tsp cream of tartar
    1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    3/4 c butter
    2 1/4 c sugar
    3 large eggs
    1/2 c milk
    2 squares (1 oz each) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely grated

Prepare mashed potato with the amount of liquid called for on the package but OMIT butter and salt; cool. Whisk together all all dry ingredients except the sugar.

In large bowl beat the butter until creamy and gradually add sugar. Beat until well blended. Mix in mashed potatoes followed by the eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in flour alternately with the milk until well mixed. Lastly stir in the grated chocolate.

Spread in prepared pan and smooth top. Bake 1 1/4 hours in angel food pan or 50 minutes in 9x13 until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes before turning the cake out.

Comment

Now that sounds really different! Gonna HAVE to try that one! Has anyone make it before?

Comment

I made it years ago when I first came across the recipe in a newspaper probably 20-25 years ago. As I recall, I used a conventional tube pan with no problem.

It was a nice cake, but didn't become a favorite. In fact, I'm sure I only made it the one time.

Comment

I loved that cake! I think it was in a book of bake off recipe winners 30 or 40 years ago, but I couldn't find any reference to it when I looked recently. It had flecks of chocolate, orange rind and walnuts, with a kind of egg white/divinity frosting.

Comment

Working...
          X