Salsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salsa

I live near Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, I have discovered Sam´s and Costco since moving here. They both carry a product called "Salsa Itto con Chile". It is a creamy crab dip or spread made with crab, mayo and spices. I really like having this on hand for those unexpected late afternoon happy hours when you have nothing made to use as a light appetizer. But, I can´t get to PV every time I need the stuff, although a tub keeps well, it is still difficult to keep fresh on hand. I am looking for a recipe for this. I have taken the ingredients off the tub, and tried to dupliate it, but it is just not quite the same. I tried contacting the makers, Sushi Palmas, in Mexico DF, but got nowhere. Does any one have any ideas as to how to make this from scratch, or perhps what measurements might be used just going by the package ingredients listing. Any ideas or suggestions, or website links (i have done google searches) would be appreciated. Thanks to anyone who answers, A.

Re: Salsa

I've not made this but it sure sounds good.

Lump Crab Salsa

HEALTHY
    MAKE-AHEAD
    ACTIVE TIME: 20 MIN
    TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 40 MIN
    SERVES: 10
    Most crab dips are full of mayonnaise, but Michael Symon's lighter version is more like a salsa since it's prepared without mayo and laced with flecks of shallot, cilantro, jalapeño and red bell pepper. "Although I love mayo," he says, "I'm not a fan of it with crab, since it tends to muddle the flavor. If I'm spending big bucks on crab, I want it to be the star."

ingredients
    3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
    2 medium shallots, very finely chopped
    1 red bell pepper, finely diced
    1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
    Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
    1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    2 pounds lump crabmeat, picked over
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    1/2 cup salted roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
    Thick-cut potato chips, for serving

directions
    In a large bowl, combine the cilantro, shallots, bell pepper, jalapeño, lime zest, lime juice, garlic and olive oil. Fold in the crab and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Let the salsa come to room temperature, then fold in the almonds.
    "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

Maybe this is more of what your looking for. I have not tried this one either but I think I will!

CRAB SALSA

Measure Ingredient
      1 can Crabmeat, shredded
      ½ cup Chili sauce
      ½ cup Mayonaise
      ½ teaspoon Dry mustard
      1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
      ½ teaspoon Salt and pinch of garlic salt.
      2 Finely chopped hard boiled eggs

Comment

thanks so much Ro-Ro. these both sound good, although the 1st is a bit more complicated, i like the idea of chopped nuts - just an exra perk. I will try both and see how they compare. ttys, A.

Comment

[QUOTE=Anai;251924]thanks so much Ro-Ro. these both sound good, although the 1st is a bit more complicated, i like the idea of chopped nuts - just an exra perk. I will try both and see how they compare. ttys, A.[/QUOTE]
          Hi Ro-Ro, just an update: I took a bit from each recipe and whirled it in a blender - white onion, shallots, dry mustard, chile flakes, jalapeno, crab, white wine, worcestershire sauce, garlic, and some parmesan cheese. It came out quite nice, a bit spicy, but I ill try it tomorrow with guests and see how it flies. Thanks, ttys. A

Comment

Great, let us know how your guests like it.

Comment

Anai? Did your guests enjoy the Salsa. What exactly did you put in yours. The kids are coming over tomorrow and I want to make something different for an appetizer.

Comment

Hi...
                We too love Salsa Itto when we go to PVR. It's our official 4:00pm Scrabble Happy Hour treat with crisp white wine. I too would like to be able to make it back home...I even brought an empty container home. Did you get any solution with your recipe request?

The only thing I can add for you is that the 4 ingredients are (in order by volume) Mayonaise, Surimi (that's the artificial "crab" -there is no crab in Salsa Itto), Onion, Serrano Chilli. The other 2 ingredients are preservatives that we don't need to add when we make it fresh at home. Since it's made in Mexico I do wonder if the mayonaise has lime in it instead of the lemon in ours here in the states.

They apparently have a U.S. office in California but I've not tried to contact them.
                Sushi Pacific Suppliers Inc
                4930 Zambrano St
                Commerce, CA 90040-3034
                (323) 278-9202‎

If I get close to duplicating the flavor and texture I'll be sure to let you know. If you get a recipe or create one I'd like to know about it too.

Unfortunately just a... Rankamatuer

Comment

Hi Rank....
                  Welcome to the board.. But just a heads up, you may not get a reply from the original poster, since her post was from a last June..

Comment

Working...
                  X