Enchiladas & Enchilada Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enchiladas & Enchilada Sauce

I have a craving for enchiladas and want to buy the stuff to make them the next time that I go to the grocery store. Anyone have any good tried and true recipe for them? Would like to make steak, chicken. beef or hamburger enchiladas with refried beans in them too. Oh & does anyone have an enchilada sauce that is good and easy to make? Thx for any help

Re: Enchiladas & Enchilada Sauce

I make this all the time you can do extra and freeze if you want.

Bean's Enchilada Sauce

1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
    1/2 t. garlic, crushed
    1/4 t. basil
    1 t. paprika
    1/4 t. cumin
    1 t. cilantro
    1 t. cayenne pepper
    2 t. hot chili powder
    few dashes black pepper
    2 cups chicken broth

Heat to a boil, simmer 20 minutes. This is great on any Mexican food!

Pic - cheese enchiladas w/this sauce.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/ench.jpg

Comment

Thank you so much for posting this..much appreciated One down and more to go to find her recipes I want to make for enchiladas..will look more when I have more time. Bean is such a nice person and a fantastic cook I love her recipes.

Comment

I used my seasoned chicken (page 2 this thread). Freakin' YUM!
        POSTED BY BEAN
        Chili Chicken Enchiladas

Rich and saucy, this south-of-the-border entree from Alicia Johnson of Hillsboro, Oregon makes a hearty meal. "Whenever I take dinner to friends who are ill, these enchiladas seem to make them feel better," says Alicia. TOH

Chili Chicken Enchiladas

1/4 cup chopped onion
        2 garlic cloves, minced
        1 tablespoon butter
        2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
        1 cup chicken broth
        1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
        1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
        1/8 teaspoon pepper
        1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
        1/2 cup sour cream
        2 cups chopped cooked chicken
        4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
        Sliced ripe olives, chopped tomatoes and green onions, optional

In a small saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Combine flour and broth until smooth; gradually add to pan. Stir in the chilies, coriander and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Remove from the heat; stir in 1/2 cup cheese and sour cream until cheese is melted. Combine chicken and 3/4 cup sauce. Place about 1/2 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas.

Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Garnish with olives, tomatoes and green onions if desired. Yield: 2 servings.

My Pic -

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Chilicknenench.jpg
        Last edited by jewels; 06-21-2008, 09:47 AM. Reason: forgot to give credit to Bean!!!!

Comment

Los Barrios Mexican Enchiladas

Authentic enchilada recipe from the Los Barrios family restaurant in San Antonio. The Enchilada Gravy recipe will make 3 quarts so use as much as you like then refrigerate or freeze the rest. Cook time includes time to make Enchilada Gravy and Chili con Carne. Enchiladas can be frozen fully assembled then thawed and heated in the oven.

8 corn tortillas (homemade or store bought)
          4 cups grated American cheese
          pico de gallo, for topping
          cheese, for topping

Enchilada Gravy Sauce
          1 cup vegetable oil
          2 cups all-purpose flour
          1/4 cup chili powder
          1 tablespoon ground cumin
          1 tablespoon garlic powder
          1 1/2 tablespoons salt
          1/4 tablespoon pepper
          2 quarts water

Chili Con Carne
          1 lb ground beef
          1 teaspoon garlic powder
          1 teaspoon ground cumin
          1 bay leaf
          salt
          pepper
          2 tablespoons chili powder
          1 cup water
          2 cups cooked pinto beans (optional) or canned pinto beans (optional)

Make Enchilada Gravy Sauce.
          Heat oil in large stockpot (at least 3 qt). Add flour and cook until browned, stirring constantly, you are making a roux, do not let it burn NOTE: this will have almost a "dough" consistency, don't be scared once the water is added it will thin into a thick gravy. Stir in chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook roux, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes. Gradually add the water, stirring until smooth. Boil gently for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile make the Chili con Carne. Brown the ground beef in a large skillet. Add the garlic, cumin, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if the pan becomes dry. Add the chili powder and 1 cup of water and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, then remove the bay leaf and add the beans if using.

Meanwhile make the Enchiladas.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Soften tortillas, fill with American cheese and roll up. Place them seam side down in a baking dish and cover with Enchilada Gravy Sauce and Chili con Carne.

Top with Pico de Gallo and more cheese to taste. Heat in oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and enchiladas are heated through.

4 servings

Comment

Chicken Enchiladas Suiza
            Ingredients
            2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and chilled
            2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
            1 pint sour cream
            12 (6 inch) corn tortilla
            1 small onion, minced
            2 garlic cloves, minced
            1 tablespoon cooking oil
            2 cups chicken broth (divided)
            2 tablespoons chicken broth (divided)
            1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
            2 tablespoons cornstarch
            Directions
            1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish by spraying with non-stick coking spray.
            2Chop the cooked chicken into small bite-size pieces.
            3Combine chicken, cheese and sour cream until well blended.
            4Scoop about 1/4 cup chicken mixture into the center of each tortilla. Roll the tortillas into a cigar-shape, enclosing the chicken filling. Lay close together in the baking dish, seam side down.
            5Saute the minced onion and garlic in the oil over medium heat. When the garlic is fragrant and the onion has softened add 2 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil.
            6Add the can of rotel, with all of the juice. While the mixture returns to the boil combine the cornstarch with the remaining chicken broth, mix well then stir into rotel mixture. Simmer for a couple of minutes to cook out the raw cornstarch and thicken the mixture.
            7Spoon the hot sauce over the rolled tortillas making sure to cover all of the tortillas (don't leave any dry spots or they may burn).
            8Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the tortillas are hot throughout.
            9Feel free to adjust the seasoning in the chicken mixture and/or the sauce to your taste. I like to use the rotel tomatoes with cilantro and lime. Sometimes I saute sliced, fresh jalapenos or serranos with the onion when making the sauce, etc. Depends on my mood when I make it. The cheese and sour cream usually make the filling salty enough for me, but I often add cayenne or chili powder and black pepper if I want a bit of bite. Sometimes I use pepper-jack cheese for all or part of the cheese in the filling.

Comment

Thank you for the recipes yummo

Comment

This is from my Better Homes & Gardens Mexican cookbook. It's over 30 years old, but is amazing! I prepare it every chance I get & it's the first thing gone at all my pot lucks & carry-ins. My daughters fix this for all their "get-togethers" & swear by its popularity.

Enchiladas de Pollo y Queso (Chicken Enchilada Casserole)

1 cup chopped onion
                1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
                2 tablespoons butter or margarine
                2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
                1 4-ounce can green chili peppers, rinsed, seeded & chopped
                3 tablespoons butter or margarine
                1/4 cup all purpose flour
                1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
                3/4 teaspoon salt
                2 1/2 cups chicken broth
                1 cup dairy sour cream
                1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (6 ounces)
                12 6-inch (corn or flour) tortillas...I prefer corn

In large saucepan cook onion & green pepper in the 2 tablespoons butter or margarine till tender. Combine in a bowl with chopped chicken & green chili peppers; set aside.
                In same saucepan melt the 3 tablespoons butter or margarine. Blend in flour, coriander & salt. Stir in chicken broth all at once; cook & stir till thickened & bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream & 1/2 cup of cheese. Stir 1/2 cup of the sauce to soften; fill each with about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture. Roll up. Arrange rolls in a 13X9X2 inch baking dish; pour remaining sauce over. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, in 350 degree oven about 25 minutes or till bubbly. Serves 6.
                Last edited by Manzanita; 06-20-2008, 04:21 PM.
                "WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Comment

These recipes sound to die for ....I used to make my enchilada saucve with the crisco (oil) flour and chili powder growing up that is how I learned to make it from my mom's best friend who was mexican and cooked A LOT!!!

Thanks for the recipes

Comment

Thanks Wish & Jewels for posting! Those Chili Chicken Enchiladas are really good, a nice change not using a "cream of"! LOL

Those other recipes look great! TY

Comment

you know the whole reason why I came to this site many many years ago was for El Fenix enchilada sauce. and I still don't have it
                      "Copykat Chat Forums" on Facebook, look it up!

E-Foo

Comment

Remember to soften the tortilla before filling, either by dipping in the hot enchilada sauce, or into hot oil just long enough to soften. The tortilla will be easier to roll, less likely to break when filling, and more tender when fully cooked. A tip my daughter learned from her mother-in-law in Mexico City.

Comment

Jewels, the recipe you posted from Los Barrios looks like one my mother always made.... especially the gravy recipe. Thank you for sharing.... I'm anxious to try it. Beth

Comment

[QUOTE=BJinTexas;253749]Jewels, the recipe you posted from Los Barrios looks like one my mother always made.... especially the gravy recipe. Thank you for sharing.... I'm anxious to try it. Beth[/QUOTE]

I have the Los Barrios cookbook and that is the recipe in the book. I'd like to try it too!

Comment

bump for pam

Comment

Working...
                              X