Maseca recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maseca recipes

I have a whole bag of this stuff. I tried to make puffy tacos (saw on food network) bombed that dish. Any other recipes other than totillas?

TIA
    Amber
    I'm out of bed, and dressed what more do you want?

Re: Maseca recipes

Is that like a corn meal? If so, tamales and cornbread come to mind.

Comment

am i the only one who thought it said Mascara recipes >?????
      I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Chocolate Moose;254625]am i the only one who thought it said Mascara recipes >?????[/QUOTE]

Nope!!!! lol thats exactly what I thought

Comment

I Read It Correctly! It's Usually Me Reading It Wrong!

We Have A Hispanic Girl Who Brought Some "fried Pie" Type Things, She Had Made The Maseca With Just Enough Water To Make A Dough, Flattened It Out In A Circle, Put Some Leftover Beans And Cheese In There, Folded It Over And Sealed The Edges. And Fried In A Little Butter, And It Was Good. I Bought Some Maseca To Try To Do Something Like That, But Couldn't Get It Quite Right. Still Have A Bunch, So I'll Be Watching This Thread Also.

Comment

I thought this was different. I have not tried it.

Pineapple Tamale Muffin (Large Quantity)
            Source: Free Recipes

Ingredients
            6 cups Maseca for Tamales
            1 cup Maizete corn oil
            1 1/2 tsp. Baking powder
            5 cups Sugar
            2 cups Pineapple juice
            2 cans Pineapple tidbits w/juice (15 oz. ea.)

Instructions
            With an electric mixer, blend the Maseca, Maizete corn oil, sugar,baking powder and the pineapple juice to obtain a consistent mixture. Pour the mixture to half level in each 4-inch muffin mold. Add five pineapple tidbits into each mold and fill the rest with the mixture. Bake for 20 minutes at 350* F.

Deweydecimal
            Live Laugh Love

Comment

Maseca is a corn flour used to make several Mexican food items. The bag usually has recipes for making specific items. I use it to make Masa for my Tamales. You can also make tortillas, empanadas and other things with Maseca.

Comment

I found this recipe at Epicurious

fried quesadillas with two fillings

For mushroom filling
                1/4 cup minced white onion
                2 tablespoons unsalted butter
                1/2 lb mushrooms, trimmed
                2 tsp. chopped fresh epazote leaves, or 1/2 tsp. crumbled dried
                1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste

For tortilla masa
                2 cups masa harina ("masa mix") such as Maseca or Quaker
                1/2 teaspoon salt
                1 1/3 cups warm water

For cheese and squash blossom filling
                5 oz queso fresco (Mexican fresh cheese), ricotta salata, or feta, crumbled (1 cup)
                1/4 cup Mexican crema or crème fraîche (omit if using ricotta salata)
                5 squash blossoms, petals torn into 20 pieces and remainder discarded

For frying
                About 3 cups vegetable oil

Accompaniment: guacamole Special equipment: a tortilla press or a rolling pin; a deep-fat thermometer

Make mushroom filling: Cook onion in butter in a medium nonstick skillet over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened.
                Pulse mushrooms in a food processor until coarsely chopped and add to onion along with epazote and salt.

Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until mushrooms are softened and any liquid is evaporated, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and cool filling completely.

Make masa and form quesadillas: Stir together masa harina, salt, and warm water in a large bowl with a wooden spoon until it forms a dough. Knead dough in bowl with heel of your hand 1 to 2 minutes.

Pinch off small pieces of dough and roll into about 40 (scant 1-inch) balls. Transfer balls as formed to a plastic-wrap–lined tray and cover with more plastic wrap.

Cut 2 (5-inch) squares from a small plastic bag and use 1 to line lower half of tortilla press. Put a ball of dough in tortilla press and top with second square of plastic. Close tortilla press, pushing gently on lever to flatten dough to a 2 1/2- to 3-inch round. If press doesn’t flatten evenly, rotate tortilla 180 degrees and gently flatten again. (Alternatively, use rolling pin to flatten dough between squares of plastic.)

Remove top square of plastic and put 1 teaspoon mushroom filling, or about 1 teaspoon crumbled queso fresco with 1/2 teaspoon crema and a piece of squash blossom, in center of round.

Fold round, still in plastic, over filling to form a half-moon and pinch edges together to seal. Gently peel off plastic, then transfer quesadilla to another plastic-wrap–lined tray and cover with a second sheet of plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining dough, making about 20 quesadillas of each filling.

Fry quesadillas: Heat 1 inch of oil in a deep 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until deep-fat thermometer registers 375°F, then deep-fry quesadillas in batches of 6 to 8, turning once or twice, until golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and return oil to 375°F before adding next batch.

Serve quesadillas immediately.

Cooks' notes:

• Mushroom filling may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.

• Quesadillas may be formed, but not fried, 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature, and pat dry if necessary, before frying.

Comment

Working...
                X