Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking For Some Type of Sweetned Spiraled pastry...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For Some Type of Sweetned Spiraled pastry...

Does anyone have a recipe for, well, I'm not sure how to describe it. My sister got it up North in Michigan at a bakery in Mackinaw. The bakery has now closed. It was some type of pastry, big, round, flat, spiraled, had a shiny glaze on it. Maybe some type of danish pastry. It had no filling, kind of plain, just sweetned with a light dried glaze. I would love to know what it was called and how to make them. Hope somebody can help me.
    Thanks a bunch.......

Jefpen

Re: Looking For Some Type of Sweetned Spiraled pastry...

Jef.....my husband is from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and I know exactly what you are talking about. Sometimes they have cinnamon sprinkled in and rolled up. They are so yummy. We live now in the lower peninsula but every time we go up there we get those! No one makes them like those Yoopers!! Going up there next month for almost two weeks I'll see what I can find out.

Comment

sounds sort of like that recipe for that yeasted peachy thing that was posted here last week. the name yooper is adorable !!!!
      I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

is it what they call an elephant ear?
        "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

Maybe it was a palmier? My dad makes these; so easy and so good! He unrolls a sheet of frozen puff pastry dough, sprinkles it with sugar and rolls it up. You roll each long side to the middle, not all the way across like a jellyroll. Then slice and bake, probably around 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, but I'm not positive on the temp. Hope this is what you're looking for!

From the Epicurious dictionary:
          palmier [pahlm-YAY]
          Also called palm leaves , this crispy delicacy is PUFF PASTRY dough that is sprinkled with granulated sugar, folded and rolled several times, then cut into thin strips. After baking, these golden brown, caramelized pastries are served with coffee or tea or as a dessert accompaniment.

Comment

Thanks, I would appreciate that, hope to hear from you soon. Have fun....................

Jefpen

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help, I greatly appreciate it. No it's not an elelphant ear, it's more like the one person said, puff pastry dough. Thanks again..................

Jefpen

Comment

Re: Looking For Some Type of Sweetened Spiraled pastry...

This is from Taste of Home Classic Cookbook I picked up from Sams the other day. Looks really good. And, if you don't want the cinnamon filling, dough looks like it'd be sweet enough to leave it out. But I'd say leave it in!! lol

Cinnamon Twists

1 pkg (1/4oz) active dry yeast
                3/4 cup warm water (110-115), divided
                4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
                1/4 cup sugar
                1-1/2 tsp salt
                1/2 cup warm milk (110-115)
                1/4 cup butter, softened
                1 egg
                Filling
                1/4 cup butter, melted
                1/2 cup packed brown sugar
                4 tsp ground cinnamon

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, milk, butter, egg and remaining water; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6=8 minutes. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hr.
                Punch down. Ross into a 16inX12in rectangle. brush with butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter. Let dough rest for 6 minutes. Cut each strip into sixteen 4in x 1in pieces. Twist and place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until golden.

Yield: 4 dozen.

Comment

This is a glaze/icing from another recipe.

1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
                  2-3 tsp milk
                  1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Combing ingredients; drizzle over bread.

or:

2 cups confectioners' sugar
                  1 tsp vanilla extract
                  1-3 tbsp water

Combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough water to make a dipping consistency. Dip bread into icing; dry on wire racks.

or:

1 cup confectioners' sugar
                  2-3 tbsp water
                  1/2 tsp almond extract

Combine ingredients; drizzle over bread.

or:

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
                  1/3 cup half and half cream
                  1/4 cup butter
                  dash salt
                  1 cup confectioners' sugar

In the top of a double boiler over simmering water, heat brown sugar, cream, butter and salt until the sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature. Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth; drizzle over bread.

Comment

Nu, that looks yuuuuum !

Comment

Have you tried the palmiers to see if that's what you're looking for?

Comment

Go here for a recipe...it has a picture, too.
                        http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/007208palmiers_elephant_ears.php

Comment

Nu, the dough is rising now. Do you recommend glazing it after baking, or ...

Comment

[QUOTE=Chocolate Moose;259846]Nu, the dough is rising now. Do you recommend glazing it after baking, or ...[/QUOTE]

I responded to your PM, but after re-reading the recipe, I'd be tempted to wait and taste it first. The dough may be sweet enough you don't want a glaze, or put a small bowl of glaze on the side with a spoon and who ever wants glaze can drizzle their own.

Comment

Working...
                            X