Need a recipe for fish batter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a recipe for fish batter

Does anyone have a batter recipe used for frying fish?
    Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Re: Need a recipe for fish batter

I have heard to take beer & add to pancake mix, but have never tried it. I usually just use corn meal, not a batter. Good Luck! Would like to try a batter sometime....
    Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Thanks, Ann
      Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

I use cornmeal with a little flour added. Just season your fish, then dredge in cornmeal/flour mixture.
        I've found with batter, it is so easy to have greasy fish

Comment

I used to use the pancake mix and beer. Then I got hooked on using Zatarains seasoned fish-fry batter with lemon. Its so good I never went back to making my own batter again.

Comment

ive always done the same as Allie,but i only fry freshwater fish,and to me all fish taste better grilled with lemon and butter,even catfish.

Comment

If ya like spicy, this one is different.

Cajun Fried Catfish

3-4 lbs catfish filets
              1 cup yellow mustard
              1 cup Louisiana hot sauce (or substitute 1/2 cup Tabasco sauce)
              3 cups yellow cornmeal
              1 cup flour
              Tony Chachere's seasoning
              1 gallon vegetable oil (any kind will do)
              1 large black iron pot for frying

In a bowl mix the mustard and hot sauce. In a larger bowl or pan mix the flour and meal. Add about 3-4 table spoons of Tony's seasoning to the flour. Take the catfish and dip into the mustard mix. Make sure it is completely covered with the mix. Shake off the excess mix, you can run your fingers across to take it off. Next take the catfish and put it into the flour mixture, make sure you coat it very well, then lay it out on wax paper. After you've done this with all of the fish, sprinkle the fish with Tony's (optional).

Heat the oil in your black iron pot, to 350 degrees, (do not get any hotter) slowly add fish and fry until golden brown. The fish will float when done. Do not put more than 4-5 pieces in at one time. Take out and place on pan lined with brown paper bag or paper towels. You may want to sprinkle with Tony's again.

Comment

Spicy Catfish Balls

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
                3/4 teaspoon baking powder
                1/4 teaspoon salt
                1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
                2 eggs
                1/4 cup milk
                1 tablespoon vegetable oil
                1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
                1/2 cup shredded jalapeno cheese
                1 cup cooked flaked Louisiana catfish
                1 1/2 cups cooked rice
                1/4 cup minced green pepper
                1/4 cup minced celery
                1/4 cup minced onion
                vegetable oil for deep fat frying

Serves: 6

Sift together dry ingredients. Beat together egg yolks, milk, oil, and hot pepper sauce. Add to dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Fold in cheese, catfish, rice, green pepper, celery and onion. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter. Drop batter by tablespoons into deep, hot fat (350 F). Fry until golden brown. Serve immediately. May be served with cocktail sauce.

Comment

Yummmm! Will have to try these! Thanks Damar! We love fish and Cajun is soooo good!
                  Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

There are two common batters I use:

Fish & Chips Beer Batter
                    1 Cup beer
                    1 Cup flour
                    1 tsp. salt
                    1 tsp Baking powder
                    1 tsp Baking soda

Mix the beer, flour and salt and let rest for at least 15 minutes. Add the baking powder and baking soda. Dip the fish in the batter and deep fry.

Fish Tacos
                    Dredge the fish in seasoned flour and let proof for 15 minutes. Dip the fish in an egg wash and then Panko crumbs. Shallow fry the fish in oil and serve in tortillas with slaw.

Comment

I usually just use seasoned flour. Once in awhile we like tempura. When we do this we also do onions and some veggies. It's our tempura kinda night
                      There is a recipe in T&T (I think) for a batter for onion rings that is really good. Never tried it on fish but I think that would work. I'll see if I can find it and bump it up for ya.

Comment

My favorite is the light tempura batter like that made in some oriental restaurants. This was given to my by a Japanese lady in Washington state.

Tempura fish

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
                        1/2 cup rice flour or corn starch
                        1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
                        1 egg yolk
                        3/4 cup (1/2 can) cold lemon-lime soda or club soda or ice water

4 large fish fillets or 6 smaller pieces or 2 fillets + sliced onion to make onion rings.

oil for deep frying

In a wide bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. In another bowl, use fork to mix egg yolk with liquid. Push dry ingredients toward sides of bowl making a well in center. Put wet ingredients in the space. Using a fork, mix the dry ingredients into the liquid a little at a time. Refrigerate.

Dry fish fillets and cut into "fingers' about 3/4 inch wide. (shape is optionsl). Place paper towels and fish in refrigerator while oil is heating.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Put paper towel in bottom of baking pan. Put a rack in the pan and put in oven.

Heat oil in deep pan--do not fill near the top of the pan. Heat oil to 360 degrees F. Remove batter and fish from refrigerator when oil reaches tempurature. Dip fish in the batter; drain off excess batter. Carefully place fish in the hot oil. Fry a few pieces at a time. When first side is golden, turn and brown second side. Remove with strainer or slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Put cooked fish in the oven while cooking rest of btch. Serve with lemon slices.

Comment

Working...
                        X