French Toast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Toast

When my mom was alive..she made the best French Toast...I forgot how she did it. She used Texas Toast..dipped it in eggs and not sure what all else...and fried it in butter on both sides. I think she sprinkled cinnamon and sugar over it when it was done or used syrup....not sure..been a long time since I have had it. Anyone make a recipe similar to that and could you please post it when you have time please?

Re: French Toast

I use the thick-cut bread that we call Texas Toast or stale french bread cut in 1 inch slices. The basic recipe that I use is I beaten egg & 1 cup milk. Whisk together. Saturate bread & fry in real butter untl golden on each side. I like syrup, but you can certainly top it how you please.
    Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

[QUOTE=Roxy;264614]When my mom was alive..she made the best French Toast...I forgot how she did it. She used Texas Toast..dipped it in eggs and not sure what all else...and fried it in butter on both sides. I think she sprinkled cinnamon and sugar over it when it was done or used syrup....not sure..been a long time since I have had it. Anyone make a recipe similar to that and could you please post it when you have time please?[/QUOTE]

I LOVE french toast!!!! I have never had it with cinnamon & sugar sprinkled over it - only cinnamon mixed in with the egg & milk mixture. Everytime we go out for breakfast I always get french toast. Would rather make it at home but can not find the texas toast anymore at the grocery store.

Comment

Here's my recipe
        For a real treat I will use raisin bread or cinnamon raisin bread in place of white bread.

Simple French Toast

SERVES 3

4 large eggs
        1/2 cup milk
        1 teaspoon vanilla extract
        1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
        1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
        6 slices bread
        Butter for frying

1. Beat eggs in a bowl large enough to fit a piece of bread in the bottom. Add milk, vanilla, cinnamon and sugar, and beat until frothy.

2. Soak each slice of bread in the egg mixture, first on one side, then the other.

3. Cook both sides in butter in a non-stick skillet until golden.

Serve with your favorite syrup.
        A friend is one who walks in when others walk out
        ~Walter Winchell

Comment

I make mine like Cheft.
          The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

Instead of topping with syrup, try topping with confectioners sugar with a bit of cinnamon

Comment

Thank you everyone

Comment

[QUOTE=floridagirly68;264646]I make mine like Cheft.[/QUOTE]

Me too... And I have to have a dollop of sour cream on top...

Comment

Roxy......isnt it amazing how certain recipes remind you of your mother???? My Mother passed away 2 yrs ago and she did not like to cook. But.........she made the best French Toast!!! It was so moist and toasted and served w/ King Syrup!!!! Mmmmmmmmmmm. Whenever I had friends stay overnight, she would make it. I never actually watched her make it...........DUH........I was a little kid.......and I never asked her. I did for other recipes, but not that one.

Comment

Yes doreen...I agree with you My mom taught me how to cook..she was a great cook.
                    Last edited by Roxy; 01-16-2010, 06:06 PM. Reason: Because

Comment

Working...
                    X