Buttermilk Substitute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buttermilk Substitute

I want to make fried chicken and I want to use buttermilk to soak it in but I don't want to go out and buy buttermilk because it just sits in the fridge. Is there a substitute recipe for buttermilk........HELP!!!!!!
    "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Re: Buttermilk Substitute

For each cup of buttermilk put 1 Tbsp. vinegar or fresh lemon juice in a measuring cup and then add milk.

Comment

I buy SACO Dry Cultured Buttermilk in the can that is found in the baking foods isle at the store. The stuff is wonderful. Click on the attachment to see the can I buy.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks mew and Fatkat.

Fatkat ... I have tried that but for some reason after I soaked my chicken in that and then fried it the chicken did not crisp up.
        "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

here are a few links for substitutions for buttermilk...
          hope this helps..

http://www.cdkitchen.com/features/tip/250/Buttermilk-Substitute

http://frugalliving.about.com/od/condimentsandspices/r/Buttermilk_Sub.htm

http://forums.womansday.com/tips/board/message?board.id=12&thread.id=7885

Comment

can you freeze buttermilk?

Comment

[QUOTE=AllieK;270413]can you freeze buttermilk?[/QUOTE]

Yep...I do it all the time. My mom drinks it...yak!!!!
              The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

Then there's the answer. Just buy real buttermilk, divide into recipe-size portions and freeze it. You won't be wasting it that way.

Comment

You can always fry with beer-that is how my mom and I do it-crisps up great and smells so good frying.
                  Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

[QUOTE=fatkat;270177]I buy SACO Dry Cultured Buttermilk in the can that is found in the baking foods isle at the store. The stuff is wonderful. Click on the attachment to see the can I buy.[/QUOTE]

I have never that in any of our markets.. Must be an East coast thing ??

Comment

[QUOTE=janabanana;270453]I have never that in any of our markets.. Must be an East coast thing ??[/QUOTE]

http://www.sacofoods.com/index.htm

The website says the company is in Wisconsin. You can email them and they'll let you know where you can buy it.
                      The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

Thanks Flo, I'll do that..

Comment

Hope you can find it jana........I love to add it to white gravies for that added tang.

Comment

FK, I just emailed them... I'll let you know what they say. My bet it's not near me at all..

Comment

Working...
                            X