too many garden tomatoes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too many garden tomatoes!

Could you all share what you do with all of your garden tomatoes? (with instructions as to how to do it - lol - I am not very good in the kitchen yet). I have sooo many and hate to have them go to waste but don't know what to do with them all. I thought about salsa but wasn't sure what the "shelf life" of that would be. I only cook for two so it's impossible to use them all before they go bad. Thank you in advance!!

Re: too many garden tomatoes!

I Googled your question and got this...

10 Uses for Fresh Tomatoes
    Guest Author - Teresa Shaw

Nothing tastes like summer more than vine ripened tomatoes. Once the warm summer months have ripened the green tomatoes into rotund red globes, you might be wondering what to do with your bounty. Following are some ideas to put those ruby-red beauties to good use.

1. Give them away. If you have more than you can use – if you have more than two tomato plants, that’s probably the case – then why not share your bounty? Neighbors, friends and family will most likely be willing to take a few off your hands, but if you still have too many, donate some to your local food bank. Visit the America’s Second Harvest website http://www.secondharvest.org/ to locate your local food bank.

2. Eat them raw. For a new twist, try eating slices with a dash of balsamic vinegar or a sprinkle of salt, sugar, or pepper. For a gourmet treat, put chopped fresh basil and mozzarella cheese on tomato slices, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with freshly grated salt and pepper.

3. Make BLTs. Lettuce, bacon and tomato on fresh bread makes a refreshing summer sandwich.

4. Add thin slices of tomatoes to a classic grilled cheese sandwich. A dash or two of Tabasco and some fresh basil leaves give an extra tang.

5. Freeze them. Either freeze tomatoes whole (be sure to trim off the tops), or chop them up and freeze in batches in freezer-safe bags.

6. Make salsa. Chop 4-5 Roma tomatoes, then toss in a medium bowl with ½ cup minced onion, ½ cup minced green bell pepper, and 1-2 tablespoons minced jalapeño pepper. Stir in a small bunch of cilantro, chopped, and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice. Refrigerate until cool, then serve or freeze.

7. Make tomato soup. In a blender, puree 4 lbs. ripe tomatoes, ½ cup fresh basil, 2 tablespoons vinegar, ¼ cup olive oil and 2 garlic cloves until smooth. Stir in 3 cups broth, then chill and serve. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.

8. Make tomato juice. Wash, dry and core 3 ½ lbs. ripe tomatoes. Place in a large saucepan and simmer until the tomatoes are soft, stirring often. Remove and strain tomatoes, and return juice to pan. Add 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and a dash of Tabasco if desired. Stir and chill.

9. Make omelets. Combine chopped tomatoes, feta cheese and spinach for a Greek-inspired omelet, or add tomatoes to chiles, green peppers and fresh cilantro for a spicy omelet.

10. Make tomato bites. Slice baguette bread and rub with a clove of garlic. Top with a tomato slice and chopped basil, and serve.

And I'll add, make spaghetti or marinara sauce...Or can them..

Comment

Lots of Bloody Marys of Bloody Beers it's almost 6:30am .... and I'm thinking about cocktails

Comment

Send me some!
        Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

ooh, ooh, oooh, fried green tomaotes!!!!! Laura

Comment

Stella's been talking about a green tomato cake, sounds interesting!!!

You can send me some, where do you live??

Comment

[QUOTE=lampladies;270614]ooh, ooh, oooh, fried green tomaotes!!!!! Laura[/QUOTE]

I could so go for this. There is a recipe in the Vegatarian section.

Huffle
              God grant me the serenity to accept the yarn I cannot return... courage to change the yarn I can... and the reciept to know the difference.

Comment

I found this recipe a few years ago right here at CK, it's absolutely delicious!

Tomato Basil Pie - Rubelishous

4-6 tomatoes, cut in chunks and set in a colander to drain
                6-8 big leaves of fresh basil, rolled tight and cut "chiffonade" (really thin stips) and mixed
                with the tomatoes. (I always use more basil!)
                2 cloves garlic, chopped fine and mixed with tomatoes
                a 9-inch pie crust, baked for 10 minutes in a 400º oven.
                2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
                1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
                3/4 cups mayo

When crust comes out of the oven, sprinkle 1/2 cup mozzarella on it and let melt.

Put tomatoes with basil and garlic in pie crust. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Mix together rest of cheeses and mayo and spread all over tomatoes working it out to the edges.

Bake for about 40 to 50 minutes at 375º.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's my favorite tomato soup recipe...

Old-fashion Cream of Tomato Soup

4TBSP. butter or margarine
                1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion

2 cups fresh tomatoes (scalded and skins removed)
                1/2 tsp. white sugar
                1 TBSP. ketchup
                1/4 tsp. salt
                1/8 tsp. fresh ground black pepper

2 TBSP. butter or margarine
                2 TBSP. flour
                2 cups milk (I use 2%)

Melt the first 4 TBSP. of butter in a saucepan; add onion, and cook slowly until tender. Add the next 5 ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Rub this mixture through a sieve and set aside. Now melt the remaining 2 TBSP. of butter in a saucepan; blend in the flour and salt. Let this bubble for 2 minutes. Then slowly add the milk. Cook and stir until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat, and add the tomato puree that was set aside. Beat with a rotary beater and reheat in a double boiler. About 4 servings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My MIL gave me this very old recipe...

Green Tomatoes "Rovia"

This is a recipe for an unusual and simply delicious French Canadian green catsup.
                The origin of its name, and the recipe itself, were secrets of the congregation of Notre Dame Sisters in Montreal. The name remains obscure…"Once you've tried these Green Tomatoes "Rovia" you'll be glad you did."

30 green tomatoes
                16 medium apples
                ½ cup coarse pickling salt
                6 large onions
                4 cups sugar
                ¼ cup mixed pickling spices
                4 cups vinegar

Slice tomatoes and onions, and place them in a large stock pot in rows. Salt liberally.
                Let stand overnight and drain off and discard liquid the following day. Loosely tie spices in a muslin bag.
                Add sliced, peeled and cored apples, sugar and spices to vegetables. Add vinegar to cover ¾ of the ingredients.

Cook for 1 – 1 ½ hours. Place in sterilized jars and seal firmly. Makes about 15 cups.
                Last edited by cheft; 08-26-2008, 02:05 PM.
                A friend is one who walks in when others walk out
                ~Walter Winchell

Comment

THIS ONE LOOKS AWESOME, BET IT WOULD WORK WITH REG. TOMATOS ALSO.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/07/roasted-ricotta-roma-tomatoes/

Comment

From Reiman Boards:
                    Broiled Tomatoes Glazed with Mustard Herb Mayonnaise ~ yield 6 servings

3 medium tomatoes
                    3 tablespoons mayonnaise
                    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
                    2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
                    1/4 teaspoon salt
                    Pinch black pepper
                    3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided use

Heat the oven to 400ºF. Lightly coat a medium oven proof baking dish with cooking spray or oil.

Cut the tomatoes in half or into 1 inch thick slices. Place cut side up in prepared baking dish; set aside. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl combine the mayonnaise, mustard, 1 tablespoon parsley, the chives, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.

Spoon a heaping teaspoon of the mayonnaise mixture on top of each tomato, spreading it cover the top. Sprinkle tomatoes with the remaining tablespoon of Parmesan cheese. Bake in preheated oven 10 to 12 minutes, depending on the size of the tomato slices, or until hot.

Turn the oven to broil and switch tomatoes to the broiler and brown until glazed and bubbling. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining parsley to garnish.

Serve immediately
                    Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

OMG, I wish I could have a fresh tomato. I'm in AZ and haven't found a good tomato.

Comment

Pick the firmist and reddest tomatoes and put into a ziplock bag to freeze. During the winter, thaw and use in soups.

Comment

I have made this and it is good. This year I have had bad luck with the garden.

Garden Tomato Soup-Canning Recipe
                          Zaar #137949

6-7 quarts
                          1½ hours 20 min prep

36-40 ripe tomatoes (skins removed and quartered)
                          4-5 stalks celery & leaves, chopped
                          1/2 green pepper, chopped
                          1/2 red pepper, chopped
                          5 medium onions, chopped (If you have a food processor, use it to chop the celery, pepper, onions)
                          1 tablespoon dried parsley
                          5 garlic cloves, minced
                          3 whole cloves
                          1 bay leaf
                          8-10 whole peppercorns
                          1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

BUTTER SAUCE
                          1/3 lb butter
                          1/4 cup salt, to taste

BROWN SUGAR PASTE
                          1/2 cup brown sugar
                          1 cup flour

Put all of the ingredients in a large kettle. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer and cook until the celery is soft, about 15 minutes; then add the butter sauce and brown sugar paste.

Mix the sugar and flour together in a bowl. Add enough of the hot soup to make a paste, then stir this into the hot soup and bring to a boil until soup thickens, about 10-15 minutes.

If the soup is thicker than you prefer, add a little water. Adding the red pepper flakes makes the soup zingier. If too sweet, add a little more salt.
                          Pour soup into quart jars and can in a pressure canner for 25 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.

Yield: 6-7 quarts, depending on size of tomatoes.

Comment

I've been freezing mine for winter chilis. One thing I like to do is slice the tomatoes and lay them on pizza dough, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle Italian seasoning over. Then add sliced onion, peppers, black olives and bake as usual. It's a nice twist on pizza (no sauce or cheese.)

Comment

You could freeze them! I just froze 5-1 gallon bags yesterday.

Heres what you do...
                              Boil a big pot of water. Put tomatoes in boiling water until the skin cracks open then remove. Let cool. Remove skin and fill plastic freezer bags with tomatoes. Zip almost all the way shut, insert a straw and suck out all the extra air then close and freeze. You'll have fresh tomatoes in the winter time!

Comment

Working...
                              X