Bread recipes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bread recipes...

Besides Beer Bread, do you have any bread recipes that don't require yeast or a bread machine? In my life, I have never had luck with yeast, nor do I own a bread machine...
    Thanks..

Re: Bread recipes...

This is one I use a lot. It is close to the one from Tastefully Simple

3 cups self-rising flour
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    12 ounces beer
    2 tablespoons melted butter
    Preheat oven to 350F.

Mix all ingredients together-stirring just until blended.
    Pour into greased bread loaf pan.
    Bake at 350F for 1 hour.

You can also wait till the last 10 mionutes of baking to pour the melted butter over the top and finish baking.

I have used this recipe with diet coke, diet sprite, and you might want to try diet mountain dew.

I have also made this into gift bags as well with the flour and sugar, and give the instructions on adding the butter and beer and how to bake on an index card.
    www.freewebs.com/auntanniescakes

I am one of 57 million (who did not vote for BO)

Comment

Tris Has Yeast, But!!! It Is Really Really Easy!!!!! I Copied And Pasted Before I Realized You Said Without Yeast, Sorry.

Herbed Peasant Bread

1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
      3 Tbsp Butter
      1 Cup Plus 2 Tbsp Warm Milk (120-130 Degrees)
      1 Tbsp Sugar
      1-1/2 Tsp Salt
      1/2 Tsp Dill Week
      1/2 Tsp Dried Basil
      1/2 Tsp Dried Rosemary, Crushed
      1 Pkg (1/4oz) Active Dry Yeast
      3 To 3-1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour

1. In A Skillet Cook Onion In Butter Over Low Heat Until Tender, About 8 Minutes. Cool For 10 Minutes.
      2. Place In A Mixing Bowl. Add Milk, Sugar, Salt, Herbs, Yeast And 3 Cups Flour; Beat Until Smooth. Stir In Enough Remaining Flour To Form A Soft Dough.
      3. Turn Onto A Floured Board; Knead Until Smooth And Elastic, About 6-8 Minutes. Place In A Greased Bowl, Turning Once To Grease Top. Cover And Let Rise In A Warm Place Until Doubled, About 45 Minutes.
      4. Punch The Dough Down. Shape Into A Ball And Place On A Greased Baking Sheet. Cover And Let Rise Until Doubled, About 45 Minutes.
      5. Bake 375 Degrees For 25-30 Minutes. Remove To A Wire Rack; Brush With Melted Butter. Cool.

Comment

Nu, Yeast hates me! I swear, it never turns out..

Ritter, that's just like my beer breard recipe.. THe only bread I can make. HA!

Comment

[QUOTE=janabanana;270743]Nu, Yeast hates me! I swear, it never turns out..

Ritter, that's just like my beer breard recipe.. THe only bread I can make. HA![/QUOTE]

Have you ever made variations to the beer bread?? I have a couple of recipes that you add different things to it....really good!!
          The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

Please share !!!

Comment

[QUOTE=janabanana;270763]Please share !!![/QUOTE

Here's my favorite:

Beer Bread

3 cups self rising flour
              2 TBSP sugar
              12 oz beer, room temp.

In a mixing bowl combine flour and sugar. Add beer. Mix well. Place in a greased loaf pan and bake 50-60 minutes at 375. Brush with melted butter.

Variation: Cheddar Scallion Beer Bread

Add 1/4 cup chopped green scallions
              1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
              1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
              The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

Here's some more:

Flavor Variations:
                Onion Rye or Un-Rye: Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet. Add 1 cup finely chopped onion and 1 Tablespoon caraway seeds. Cook at medium heat, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and beginning to brown, about 5 to 8 minutes. (This step may be done ahead of time; let onion mixture sit at room temperature up to two hours or refrigerate.)

If desired, replace the 3 cups of all-purpose flour with 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup rye flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour. Stir onion mixture into batter along with 2 more Tablespoons of beer or water.

Cheddar & Dill: Add 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill and finely grated sharp cheddar cheese to the basic mix.

Garlic & Herb: Add 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, and 2 minced garlic cloves (or 1 teaspoon garlic flakes) to the basic mix. For fresh herbs, use 1 chopped Tablespoon of each.

Dill & Chive: Add 2 Tablespoons fresh dill (or 2 teaspoons dried dill) and 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives to the basic mix.

Italian: Add 1 teaspoon each dried basil and oregano (or 1 Tablespoon each chopped fresh basil and oregano), 2 minced cloves of garlic, and 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan or romano cheese to the basic mix.

Other Additions: Any dried or fresh herbs; 1/2 cup freshly grated asiago (or other hard cheese); 1/2 cup chopped scallions; 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, 1/2 cup oats in place of 1/2 cup of the all-purpose flour; or practically anything else you can think of use your imagination.

Comment

And more....

Jalepeno Cheddar Variation: After stirring in beer, add 1-2 chopped jalepenos (remove seeds) and 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese to dough. Continue with original recipe.

Ground Beef and Monterey Jack Variation: Brown 1/2 pound ground beef with 1/2 cup chopped onion. Transfer to paper towels to soak up any extra grease. After stirring beer into dough, add ground beef and 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese to dough. Continue with original recipe.

The flavor of cheddar cheese and dill go well together. To make a cheddar and dill beer bread combine two tablespoons of chopped fresh dill with two tablespoons of finely grated sharp cheddar cheese and add it to the beer bread mix.

Another variant is to add garlic and complimentary herbs. For this variation using dried herbs, combine two minced garlic cloves with one teaspoon of dried rosemary, one teaspoon of dried oregano, and one teaspoon of dried thyme in the basic beer bread mix. If fresh herbs are available, use one chopped tablespoon of each. You will achieve the best effect if you add the herbs to the dry ingredients before stirring in the beer.

Dill and chives also go well together in this bread. For this variation, combine two tablespoons of fresh dill (or 2 teaspoons dried dill) with about 1/4 cup of chopped fresh chives in the basic beer bread mix.

Italian type bread combine one teaspoon of dried basil with one teaspoon of dried oregano, two minced garlic cloves, and 1/2 cup of finely grated parmesan or Romano cheese and add stir this into the basic beer bread mix. If fresh herbs are available, use one chopped tablespoon of each.
                  Last edited by floridagirly68; 08-26-2008, 05:18 PM.

Comment

There...that'll keep you busy for a while...LOL.

Comment

No kidding !! Yeah ! I saved them and will definately be trying these !! Thanks !

Comment

Bump......................

Comment

Thanks for the bump. I missed this somehow the first time around.

Comment

Working...
                          X