Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Janabanana

From Reiman Bulletin Boards

R&R: No Knead Harvest Bread. OMG! A Must Try Recipe!
    Reply Contact
    OMG, This is the perfect recipe for all the yeast challenged people on the BB. It is marvelous and so darn easy!!! No mixer required and no kneading! I mixed this up last night and baked it this morning. We've already eaten half the loaf! I've already mixed up two more batches of this too. I'm going to split the dough in half and bake each half in a covered pyrex casserole to give to my step-daughter and one for her mom, so she can take it back home tomorrow. My SDD is an adult and lives in a different city from her mom, that is why the two smaller loaves.

I did bake this at a lower temperature, about 395F. because the covered bowl I was using could only take temperatures of up to 400F. and that worked out fine. I baked it as the recipe described for the same amount of time. I can't imagine what it would have been like at 55F. higher for the same baking time.

I used 3/4 cup chopped apricots and 1/2 cup dried cranberries instead of the white raisins and higher amount of cranberries. I also omitted the nuts from the inside and sprinkled sliced almonds on top of half the loaf because my children don't like nuts. I loved the flavor the almonds gave. The bread isn't super sweet as it has no added sugar, just the sweetness from the dried fruit and that is plenty.

If you are yeast challenged you have to try this! If you are a professional bread baker you also have to try this.

I just can't stop raving about this bread! Tria, thank you for this exceptional recipe!

chefly

No-Knead Harvest Bread
    Plan ahead for this easy breadan overnight or all-day rise gives it terrific flavor. For the best crust, bake in a ceramic bread crock, or a long stoneware baker.

o 3 1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    o 1 cup King Arthur Traditional Whole Wheat Flour or King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
    o 2 teaspoons salt(1-1/2 tsp.)
    o 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
    o 1 3/4 cups cool water
    o 3/4 cup dried cranberries (1/2 cup)
    o 1/2 cup golden raisins (3/4 cup chopped apricots)
    o 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (omitted, but sprinkled top of dough with sliced almonds)
    Directions
    1) Mix the flours, salt, yeast, and water in a large bowl. Stir, then use your hands to mix and form a sticky dough.
    2) Work the dough just enough to incorporate all the flour, then work in the fruit and nuts.
    3) Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let it rest at room temperature overnight, or for at least 8 hours; it'll become bubbly and rise quite a bit, so use a large bowl.
    4) Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and form it into a log or round loaf to fit your 14" to 15" long lidded stoneware baker, or 9" to 10" round lidded baking crock.
    5) Place the dough in the lightly greased pan, smooth side up.
    6) Cover and let rise at room temperature for about 2 hours, until a slight indentation remains when you poke it with a finger. Just before baking, make several slashes to allow for expansion.
    7) Place the bread in the cold oven. Set the oven temperature to 450F.(actual temp of my oven was 395. F.)
    8) Bake the bread for 45 minutes (yes), then remove the lid and continue to bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, until it's deep brown in color, and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers about 205F. Remove the bread from the oven, turn out onto a rack, and cool before slicing
    Last edited by nommie; 09-03-2008, 01:12 PM.
    Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Re: For Janabanana

I Miss Jana!!! Come Back Come Back Where Ever You Are!!! Mwah!!

Comment

Bumping for Deb!!!!!!!
      Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

Mmmmm....that sounds good too.

Comment

I also posted recipes for 7 quick breads in the recipes to try-check em out!
          Nommie

Comment

This sounds like a wonderful bread recipe. I don't have a stoneware baker, though.
            Do you think I could bake it in a Le Creuset dutch oven?

Comment

I was going to bake mine cast iron dutch oven. Make sure you check temperature limits on whatever you bake it in.
              Nommie

Comment

Working...
              X