Brussel Sprouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brussel Sprouts

My daughter loves brussel sprouts - however sometimes they taste bitter - even the 'baby ones' - does anyone have a way to take the bitterness away? lol --- if there is one...! Thanks!

Re: Brussel Sprouts

Yes, I do...
    Add just a little bit of sugar
    I do it to almost all my veggies...really makes them good
    Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

I also add sugar, & butter, to brussel sprouts, carrots, English peas, broccoli, & cauliflower. Makes them so good!

Comment

bacon................

They Will Eat Them...bacon Parmesan Brussels Sprouts

By: ~Leslie~
        Oct 26, 2004

25-30 fresh Brussels sprouts

8 slices of crisp cooked crumbled bacon

5 tablespoons sour cream

5 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese

1 tablespoon butter

1/2 clove freshed minced garlic

fresh ground black pepper

2 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese (extra)

Directions
        1 Cut ends off Brussels Sprouts and remove yellow or spotted leaves.
        2 Score an"X" on the bottom of each sprout to allow the bitterness to escape.
        3 Steam Cook or boil sprouts until tender crisp.
        4 Heat the next 5 ingredients over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is hot.
        5 Combine all in casserole dish and toss to coat.
        6 Grate fresh ground black pepper over top, and sprinkle with extra cheese and serve.
        Last edited by jewels; 09-04-2008, 10:34 PM.

Comment

We love them roasted.............with olive oil and kosher salt, cut an "X" in the bottom and s°read over a cookie sheet. Roast 350° for 30minutes..........YUM!!!

Comment

The only way I make them is simmering them in chicken broth or putting chicken broth(or chicken bouillon) with it when I microwave them. It takes away that awful bitterness. I also make sure they are all the same size. I cut the larger ones in half so they are more the size of the smaller ones.
            I always hate having my brussel sprouts still kind of hard so I always make sure they are soft and I have to have cheese on ours.

Comment

We cut them in half, slow sautee in olive oil, then add balsamic vineger after 15 min, then hand full garlic cloves and simmer for 15 more min. This was my GF's recipe and it made me a sworn B.S. eater. (Mom was a lousy cook growin gup, euch!)

Comment

I Have A Very Simple Way To Make Brussel Sprouts. Cut Them In Half. Put In Pan Flat Side Down. Cover About 1/2 Way With Chicken Broth. Let Simmer Until Done. Easy And Tastey.
                SHEL

Comment

I roast them and my whole family loves them. I also use olive oil and kosher salt. I roast them until crispy.

Comment

[QUOTE=MissKise;273958]We love them roasted.............with olive oil and kosher salt, cut an "X" in the bottom and s°read over a cookie sheet. Roast 350° for 30minutes..........YUM!!![/QUOTE]

Thats the way I like them too. They are crunch on the outside and moist on the inside. I do set my oven for 400.
                    "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

Add a pinch of baking soda to neutralize the bitterness.

Comment

Usually I roast mine as well. If there are leftovers, I slice them in half and saute them in a little butter to warm them and brown them up.

If I don't roast them, I do add sugar, and then I have to add a splash of cider vinegar on them.

Suziee

Comment

Working...
                        X