dark pumpernickel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dark pumpernickel

Years ago there was alittle joint here in our one horse town, they served soups in the most wonderful dark dark pumpernickel bread bowls. I can not find a recipe for a really dark pumpernickel. I would like to make it in the machine if possible. Any would be appriciated.
    Thanks

Re: dark pumpernickel

OK....combined 2 recipes. One for the dark pumpernikle and then the process of how to make the bread bowls. Maybe it would work!!

Daddy's Dark Pumpernickel Bread
    Yields: 1 loaf

Ingredients
    1 1/4 cups bread flour
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    3/4 cup rye flour
    2/3 teaspoon instant coffee
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    2 teaspoons caraway seeds
    1 tablespoon milk, skim, (non fat) powder
    1 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoon molasses dark
    1 tablespoon butter
    7 1/2 ounces water
    3 tablespoon cornmeal
    1 teaspoon yeast, active dry

Directions
    Put ingredients into bread machine and press "Start".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Combine all of the dough ingredients and mix and knead them together -- by hand, mixer or bread machine -- till you've made a soft, smooth dough. Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Divide the dough into five pieces, and form them into round (not flattened) balls. Place them on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, cover lightly, and set them aside to rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours, or until they've almost doubled in size.

Uncover the balls and let them sit for 10 to 15 minutes, to develop a tough skin. Just before placing the bread bowls in the oven, mist them heavily with water. Bake the bread bowls in a pre-heated 425°F oven for 18 to 22 minutes, until they're a deep, golden brown. Turn off the oven, prop the door open a little, and leave the bread bowls inside for 15 minutes; this will keep the crust crisp.

Remove the bread bowls from the oven and cool them completely before cutting the tops off and removing the insides; (reserve the insides to make bread crumbs). Yield: 5 large bread bowls.

Comment

OMG Jewels that sounds wonderful. Thank You soooooo much. I have everything too. I wish it wasen't after midnight I'd be in there. WOOOOHOOOO I am so excited I can hardly wait!!!!! TY TY TY
      Now I just have to decide what kind of soup. hummmmm I always liked the chicken and dumplings best. Maybe I'll give that a shot.
      JUMPING FOR JOY YAY THANK YOU

Comment

Thank-you Jewels...I am into natural grain breads right now and I adore the Dark Pumpernickel.
        I worked at a store that would make a marbled style that was rounded in shape.
        After baking & cooling,they would hollow out most of the bread, cube it, then assemble the cubed bread around the hollowed bread.
        Then they would fill this hollowed out bread with Spinach Dip.
        It was so good...
        Thanks for the recipe!
        Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Working...
        X