Iso pickled veggies recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iso pickled veggies recipe

My husband said they used to sell a combination of pickled cauliflower, pickles (cucumbers) & onions in the grocery store where he grew up. It's no longer made. Does anyone have a recipe that I could make my own? I'd like to can it. Thanks

Re: Iso pickled veggies recipe

I don't have a recipe but WalMart sells them in the pickle aisle. They have regular and hot as well as just cauliflower. I buy them all the time.

Suziee

Comment

I can get the sweet pickle mix in the deli. It is good.

Comment

I remember posting this earlier this summer, searched it for you. I haven't made it, but it looks good. The ones in the store here don't have the broccoli in there, but heck why not! lol

Title: Strange Pickles
        Date: 07/09/2008 07:30:48
        Posted by: oh_mother_may_I
        Ingredients

2 Cauliflower bunches
        2 Broccoli bunches
        1 Bag Small to Med Carrots
        5-10 Small to Med Onions
        5-10 Small to med Cucumbers
        3-4 Jalepeno Peppers
        2 Different vinegars (Apple cider and White)
        Spices

Take your broccoli and cauliflower bunches and cut into nice bunches (a little bigger than bite size). For the carrots peel and if too large cut in half. If using small onions leave whole, if using larger ones cut in half. For the cucumbers it is up to you. You can peel them or not. I use small ones for the easiness. Peppers leave as they are. If you havent washed your veggies now is a good time. I boil each of the vegetables on the stove for 5-10 minutes each depending on the vegetable(seperately of course). I then layer them on a cookie sheet to cool slightly( again seperately). After each are done, now boil the vinegars again seperately and we are ready for putting together.

I use several large jars about 1/2 gallon each and of course cleaned. I layer the vegetables until to just below the top. I then layer the vinegars over the top( while they are still hot) I add dill and pickling spices to the mix , wait a minute and seal. I then put them up in a dark cupboard and leave for about a month. When I open them I take them outside because they have a strong smell. These are not for the soft-hearted who dont like em hot. You can change it here and there and add three kinds of vinegars or ciders. Change the vegetables also.

Comment

my mom has a great recipe for pickled veggies.. i will get it from her monday and email it to you .. it is very yummy..

Comment

hey linjean.. i got the recipe already if you want to PM me your email and i can email it too you .. my mom scanned it and emailed it to me..

Comment

zozzobra, can you just post it in case any of us might be interested as well? Thanks!
              Last edited by kiop; 09-13-2008, 10:14 PM.

Comment

here is the recipes.. we have made it several times.. let me know how you like it ..

Pickles Vegetables ( From the TOO HOT TAMALES on foodtv)

1 pound carrots, peeled and cut in 1/4 inch slices
                1 head of cauliflower , trimmed into small florets
                1 pound cucumbers, unpeeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
                3/4 Cup chopped fresh oregano
                1 quart white vinegar
                1/2 cup sugar
                1/4 Cup course salt (kosher salt)
                2 Tablespoons cracked black pepper
                6 Red Jalapenos
                6 Green Jalapenos ( Use as much or as little as you like of boths jalapenos)
                2 Heads of garlic, cloves separated, peeled, and cut in half
                1 Medium Yellow onion

Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil, and blanch the carrots for 3 minutes. Remove from boiling water with slotted spoon, and refresh in bowl of iced water. Drain and reserve . Then blanch the cauliflower for about 6 minutes, drain, refresh, and drain again. PLace the carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers, and Oregano in a large nonreactive bowl.

Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper, in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add jalapenos, garlic and onion and return to boil. Cook a minute longer, and pour over vegetables.

Set aside to cool room tempeture pour into three 1 quart jars and refrigerate as long as 1 month.

Yield: 3 quarts

Comment

YUM these sound wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Escabeche

This is something that is often served at the restaurants in Mexico where I lived. It was so good.

Cut the following vegetables into long strips or bite sized pieces. How much you make depends on you.

carrots (1 lb. bag)
                    cauliflower (1 head)
                    onion (2 or 3)
                    mushrooms (1 lb.)
                    zucchini (4 or 5)

jalapenos (leave whole) - about 2, poke for more flavor
                    garlic cloves (leave whole) - about 3-5

Take chopped vegetables and saute in pan until just tender crisp with a little oil. I cook them individually and then mix together into large bowl.

Make marinade:

1 1/2 cup water
                    1 chicken bouillon cube
                    1 cup vinegar
                    dash sugar
                    salt and pepper

Heat up and pour over vegetables. Make sure all the vegetables are covered with the marinade.( you may need to double or triple) Put in large container with lid. Refrigerate for 2-3 days and then enjoy! In Mexico they serve with saltine crackers. This can be canned.
                    A man of words and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds.

Comment

They still sell it. I always have a jar of Mezzetta Italian Mix Giardiniera in the frig. It's in the pickle aisle.

http://www.mezzetta.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=mezzetta&Category_Code=pickledveg

Comment

Working...
                      X