Looking for Sausage and peppers.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Sausage and peppers.....

onions and spuds recipe. We had it years ago, and I don't know if it's baked, stir fried, or what! Help me now!!!! TIA, Laura

Re: Looking for Sausage and peppers.....

I need more info--I am kinda dense! BTW, how did you get your name---lampladies?
    Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

Nommie, it was a dish we had eons ago. It was a sausage, onion, pepper and potato mixture over pasta. No tomato sauce, but probably butter or olive oil. Talk about a brain freeze? Totaly locked up!! My Lampladies name is from a business I had in Texas. I sold shades, lamps, did restoration work on important items (Tiffany, Baccarat,ect) and created lamps! Thus, the Lampladies!!! Thanks for asking! Laura

Comment

Sausage Peppers and Potato Recipe

I seem to have the uncanny ability to take ingredients that need to be used up and create really tasty dishes! We had a cookout awhile back and my son demanded those all beef Kosher Hebrew National hot dogs. We had never purchased them before - but itís what he wanted, so we got them for the cookout. We had a lot of people so I had purchased a big 32 pack of the all beef Polish sausage variety. We had a half dozen left, and this is what I did with them.

To make this recipe you will need these ingredients:

6 small-med potatoes (red, white, or gold)
        1/2 lg Vidalia onion, sliced
        1/2 lg green pepper, chopped
        6 Hebrew National All Beef Polish Dogs sliced in 1″ pieces
        salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
        2 cloves chopped garlic
        I started by dicing the potatoes skin-on and placing them in a large skillet on high with about 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil. While they cooked, I sliced the onion and diced the green pepper. If you like, you could always chop and add a small hot pepper to mix as well! Add the onion and green pepper to the pan and mix well to coat with oil. Then slice the Polish dogs, add to the pan and mix well. Last add the garlic, and mix well.

Let me explain the order of things. I get the potatoes in the pan right away - they would take 20 minutes to cook alone, so I try to let them cook (by themselves) for 8-10 minutes before adding the pepper and onion. Turn the heat down to med-high and about 5 minutes later Iíve chopped the polish dogs, so I add them. I reserve the garlic until about 5 minutes more. Then it really only needs to cook a few more minutes and as long as the potatoes are soft.

Even though this dish looks really good in the pic above, the thing that really makes it incredible are those polish dogs. Iíve had LOTS of hot dogs and TONS of different sausages in my life, but Iíd never had Hebrew National. Their all beef texture is distinctive, but the thing that sets them apart is that they appear to be packaged in vinegar - which gives them this bit of ďpickledĒ flavor I just canít describe, but couldnít get enough of. It permeates the onion and pepper, and once it matches up with the garlic - it just made this very simple dish come alive! There were in fact more than one in the house making fun of it - but the finished taste was unmistakable! Once you try this, you may never buy regular polish dogs again!

Comment

Here is how I do mine:

Cut your sausage into about 3" to 4" pieces

Chunk up green pepper and onion.....I usually do 2 peppers and 1 onion, or 2 if onions are small.....dont make chunks too small

Mix up the following: 1 1/2 c catsup
          1/2 c brown sugar
          1/4 c soy sauce

Pour over the top and bake 325 for about an hour. Great on nice crusty rolls!!!

Comment

You could also just add potato to the following:

Bow Tie Pasta with Sausage and Sweet Peppers

1 pound Italian sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
            2 green bell peppers, chopped
            8 ounces farfalle pasta
            1/2 cup beef broth
            1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
            While pasta is cooking, cook sausage and peppers in large skillet over medium heat until sausage is brown and juices run clear. Drain sausage mixture and return it to the pan. Pour in the broth, season with black pepper and bring to a boil.
            Toss pasta with sausage sauce and serve.

Comment

Smoked Sausage Dish

1 (1 lb) smoked sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
              4 medium potatoes (peeled and cubed)
              1 small onion (chopped)
              1 bell pepper (chopped)
              1/4 cup water

Combine all ingredients in large pot.

Cover and simmer over medium heat 15- 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are soft.

4 servings

Comment

Sausage Peppers and Onions

4 lbs. Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
                1/4 cup olive oil
                2 red bell peppers, chopped
                2 green bell peppers, chopped
                2 medium onions, chopped
                1 tsp. oregano
                1/2 tsp. black pepper
                Potatoes; optional

In a large skillet over medium heat, fry sausage in oil until brown (about 10 minutes). Remove sausage from skillet. Next, place peppers and onions in skillet and sautť until tender (about 10 minutes). Return sausage to skillet, add oregano and pepper, and mix well. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes and serve.

Note: If desired, quarter potatoes and boil on the side and then add to skillet before serving.

Comment

Here's one I've been meaning to try. Looks like what you want. It had a lot of good reviews.

http://www.recipezaar.com/81311

oops...I need to wake up. This recipe doesn't have potatoes in it and I see you wanted potatoes.
                  Last edited by chickyp; 10-03-2008, 05:10 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Potatoes or not....
                    All of these dishes sound delicious....
                    Thanks!
                    Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Working...
                    X