Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ISO: A Tried and True Apple Dumpling Recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO: A Tried and True Apple Dumpling Recipe?

My husband has NEVER had apple dumplings...when he told me this last night I about died....we've been together 3-1/2 years and I had no idea....they are one of my favorite things! However, I've never attempted to make them. Our anniversary is this weekend I was wondering if anyone had a good recipe they could share with me so I could surprise him? Thanks!!

Re: ISO: A Tried and True Apple Dumpling Recipe?

I got this recipe from Bean and it is a keeper! I added more spices and will use more apples next time since I was short on flour and only made half the recipe ...it used all the apples making half LOL

Adding my pics as attatchments ....

Apple Dumpling Dessert

PASTRY:

4 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons salt
    1-1/3 cups shortening
    8 to 9 tablespoons cold water

FILLING:

8 cups chopped peeled tart apples
    1/4 cup sugar
    3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

SYRUP:

2 cups water
    1 cup packed brown sugar

Whipped topping or vanilla ice cream, optional
    Mint leaves, optional

In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and toss with a fork until dough can be formed into a ball. Divide dough into four parts.

On a lightly floured surface, roll one apart to fit the bottom of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Place in dish; top with a third of the apples. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle a third over apples.

Repeat layers of pastry, apples and cinnamon-sugar twice. Roll out remaining dough to fit top of dish and place on top. Using a sharp knife, cut 2-in. slits through all layers at once.
    For syrup, bring water and sugar to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over top crust. Bake at 400 for 35-40 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Serve warm with whipped topping or ice cream if desired. Garnish with mint if desired.

Yield: 12 servings.
    Source is Taste Of Home

Pic -
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Apple-Dumpling-Dessert
    Attached Files

Comment

Posted By Rubelishous:

Sorry never made them. However, check out the website attached - they have an easy to follow recipe complete with videos. Following that is a clone recipe for Crackerbarrel Restaurant Apple Dumpling. I love anything Crackerbarrel

http://www.apple-pie-crisp-dumplings-recipes.com/

Cracker Barrel Baked Apple Dumplin'

1 (17 1/2 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
      1 cup white sugar
      3/8 cup dry breadcrumbs
      3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
      1 pinch ground nutmeg
      1 egg, beaten
      4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and halved
      1 cup confectioners' sugar
      1 teaspoon vanilla extract
      3 tablespoons milk

pecan streusel
      2/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
      2/3 cup packed brown sugar
      2/3 cup all-purpose flour
      5 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 425F (220C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.

Roll out each sheet of pastry to measure 12x12 inches. Cut into quarters, to make 8 - 6 inch squares.

In a small bowl, combine sugar, bread crumbs, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Brush a pastry square with beaten egg.

Place 1 tablespoon bread crumb mixture in center.

Place one apple half, core side down, over bread crumbs.

Top with another tablespoon of mixture.

Pull up four corners of pastry and pinch sides together to seal seams completely. Repeat with remaining apples.

Brush each dumpling with beaten egg.

Top with Pecan Streusel.

Place in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350F (175C) and continue baking 25 minutes more, until lightly browned.

Drizzle with icing.

Let cool completely at room temperature.

PECAN STREUSEL: In a small bowl, combine 2/3 cup chopped toasted pecans, 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, 2/3 cup all-purpose flour and 5 tablespoons melted butter. Mix with a fork until mixture resembles moist crumbs. Use as directed in recipe. Make more or less as desired.

To make icing, combine confectioners' sugar and vanilla and enough milk to make a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cooled dumplings. Serve the same day.

Comment

My favorite. I used to have an older neighbor who each fall would bring me some apples and ask if I'd make some apple dumplings. Fond memories.

Apple Dumplings - oven 375

Syrup:
        1 1/2 c sugar
        1 1/2 c water
        1/4 tsp cinnamon
        1/4 tsp nutmeg
        3 Tbsp butter or margarine

Pastry: (or use your favorite pie crust pastry)
        2 c flour
        2 tsp baking powder
        2 tsp salt
        2/3 c Crisco
        1/2 c milk

6 medium whole apples, pared and cored
        About 1/2 c sugar mixed with 1/2 tsp cinnamon
        About 1 Tbsp butter

Make syrup first by combining sugar, water and spices and bring up to a boil. Cook until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add butter.

Sift or whisk dry ingredients together and cut in Crisco until mixture looks "crummy". Add milk and stir just until flour is moistened. Turn onto floured surface, knead 1-2x. Roll to about 12x18". Cut into six squares.

Place one whole apple on each square, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and put a dab of butter on each. Moisten edges of the pastry and fold the corners up to the center and pinch together.

Put in baking dish and pour syrup over the dumplings. (I personally sprinkle with a bit of plain granulated sugar at this point.) Bake about 35 minutes or until the apples are tender, basting once while baking.

Serve hot, warm, room temperature, cold - whatever - with milk, cream, whipped cream or ice cream. Just plain good!

Comment

Wow, they all look great! I'm going to try each of them...one at a time! I'll let you know how he likes them. Thanks so much!

Comment

And Wishing Star....the pictures are amazing...it makes me want them right now! Thanks!

Comment

This is definitely tried & true----my family and coworkers rave about these.

I made this recipe after visitting the local orchard. They had some mouthwatering apple dumplings in the bake shop. They were a bit pricey for me so I came home and worked on my own version. Keep in mind, I do not make pie crust and I take any short cut possible.

Nommie's Apple Dumplings

4 medium apples- peeled & cored (I used Granny Smith)
              5 tablespoons margarine
              4 tablespoons brown sugar mixed with 2 tsp cinnamon
              1 can crescent rolls
              1 jar caramel ice cream topping
              1/2 cup chopped pecans

Microwave apples until partially cooked (about 3 minutes). You want them still firm. Remove from microwave and drain any liquid off. Let cool about 10 minutes.

Preheat oven at 350. Open crescent rolls and make four squares. Place an apple in the middle of each square. Place 1 tablespoon of unmelted margarine and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar mixture in core part of apple. Pull corners to top of apple to make a little dumpling around the apple. Place apples in a baking dish.
              Melt remaining margarine and brush dumplings.

Bake until rolls are almost brown. Pour caramel topping over apples and sprinkle with pecans. Return to oven and bake until topping beegins to bubble and rolls are brown.

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

Nommie --- these sound yummy! I'm going to make the this weekend

I'm with you w/piecrusts. Any short cut is worth so much!! THANKS!
                Tessa

Comment

MEW,
                  Pastry: (or use your favorite pie crust pastry) Could one use sheets of puff pastry in this recipe?

Thanks Thomas.

Comment

I'm sure you could. My only thought would be that perhaps you'd want to bake the dumplings half the time before putting on the syrup. I don't know that it would, but perhaps the syrup might inhibit the puff pastry rising? Just guesswork mind you.

Comment

Yes, Nommie those look great! Can't wait to try some of these wonderful recipes!

Comment

I bumped this recipe for you from Tried and True. Very easy and delicious. Edited to add: I don't use the lemon.

Apple Dews
                        Posted by: lindachicken__Oklahoma

2 packages crescent rolls
                        2 Granny Smith apples
                        2 cups sugar
                        1-1/2 teaspoons Saigon cinnamon
                        1/2 teaspoon lemon (add zest)...(optional)
                        2 sticks butter
                        1 tsp. vanilla
                        10-oz. Mountain Dew

Peel apples and slice into 8 sections. Separate crescent rolls and roll 1 apple slice in each. Place in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Melt butter, cinnamon, add sugar, vanilla and lemon; stir well and pour over rolls. Finally add Mountain Dew. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

(TIP: Zap in microwave a few seconds...Best if served warm with the ice cream!)

He drew a circle that shut me out -
                        Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
                        But Love and I had the wit to win:
                        We drew a circle that took him in.
                        -Edwin Markham

Comment

Thank you so much Dickens! It looks great! Tomorrow...I'm going to make a few of these recipes and see which one I like the best for our anniversary dinner on Monday!

Comment

Which one did you choose? Give us a review!!!!!!!!!
                            Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

For tonight, I used your recipe Nommie....it was fabulous!! My husband raved and raved about it! The only thing I did differently is I used a can of pilsbury flaky layer biscuits because I forogot to buy the crescents! Still turned out WONDERFUL!! Thank you!

I think this weekend I'm going to try another one of these fabulous recipes to take home to my in-laws...I'll post another review....I plan on trying everyone's recipes...especially now that my husband's new favorite dessert is apple dumplings!! Thank you all!

Comment

Working...
                              X