Candied sweet potatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candied sweet potatoes

Everytime I make candied sweet potatoes, they never turn out that good. Does someone have a really good candied sweet potato recipe they would like to share?

Re: Candied sweet potatoes

I don't make them anymore--only the sweet potato casserole.
    Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

I keep cans of it in my pantry. Works great !
      I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

My Mom used to just use the canned sweet potatoes and add butter and brown sugar and bake them in the oven. I don't have exact measurements, but I am sure she drained the canned sweet potatoes, and added maybe a cup of brown sugar per can w/butter. She baked them in the oven I am thinking a half hour or so. I know that's vague but I don't like them. My Dad used to love them!

Comment

I Couldn't Tell You The Last Time I Bought Canned Sweet Potatos! I Use Fresh Ones, Peel Them, Slice In About 1" Slices, If It's Real Big, I'll Halve The Slice. Put Them In A Dutch Oven, Put Just A Little Water Because They'll Make Their Own Juice, A Bunch Of Butter And Brown Sugar, Alittle Cinnamon And Ground Cloves Or Allspice. Bake Until Done. I Rarely Put Marshmallows On Top. If You Want Them, Make Sure They Can't Touch Any Juice, And Place Them On Top And Brown Them, After The Taters Are Done.

I Don't Use A Recipe, So I Couldn't Even Start To Tell You How Much Of Each, I Just Figure It Out As I Go!
          "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Are you looking for a stove top or bakes recipe?

I make my sweet potato slices (w/ butter, brown sugar) in an electric fry pan. It can take up to an hour to make.

I'd be happy to share my gramma's recipe w/ you.

Comment

I don't have measurements, but I drain the juice from canned ones, throw in butter or margarine (maybe 1/2 stick?), & some brown sugar. I cook on top of the stove in a heavy skillet.

Comment

Thanks "CollsCookin" I am talking about fresh sweet potatoes not canned and on the stove not oven. I would love to have your Grandma's recipe.

Comment

[QUOTE=Iniki;288216]Thanks "CollsCookin" I am talking about fresh sweet potatoes not canned and on the stove not oven. I would love to have your Grandma's recipe.[/QUOTE]

My pleasure. Let me dig it out for you.

Comment

Let me know if this makes sense.

I cannot seem to find this written down anywhere, UGH, but I have been making this for some 35+ years so I will wing it.

*One potato will generally be enough for 1- 2 people.

*Try to find sweet potatoes that are uniform in diameter. I do not like to use really chubby ones. Long & lean!

Servings 2-4

3-4 sweet potatoes, small/ medium with peels on, cut off ends if desired.
                    1 stick butter (I have always used salted)
                    1 1/2 - 2 C light brown sugar *must be light, amount may vary

Submerge potatoes in water. Bring to boil & simmer until they are a cooked a little more than half way through. Check with a tooth pick.
                    *** It is important to NOT be overcooked because they will continue to cook when simmering in the candy glaze.

When done boiling, pour off all the hot water and run cold water over them until they are cooled off. This may take a few minutes. They can now rest for hours if need be.

In an electric skillet, slowly melt butter until completely melted.
                    Add enough light brown sugar to absorb all the butter.
                    (I am not 100% of the amount listed above). Continue to use a low/medium heat until all the brown sugar melts and is no longer grainy. This can take up to an hour. You can let it bubble a bit around the edges but not too hard. Continually stirring w/ a spatula.

In the mean time: peel your potatoes. I do this GENTLY with a paring knife.
                    Slice thickly at least 3/4". If you cut them too thin, they will fall apart while cooking.
                    Set aside in single layers.

Once the sugar is ready, no longer grainy & gooey, place the slices, one by one, side by side, in the skillet. DO NOT move them around until ready to flip.

When the edges of the slices are gathering a candy coating and darkening, flip them. The 2nd side will not take as long to cook.

Gently lift out and place in a single layer if possible on a warmed serving platter. I use a pie server to serve.

Comment

[QUOTE=nommie;288057]I don't make them anymore--only the sweet potato casserole.[/QUOTE]

Can you share you recipe please?

Comment

Thanks Col. I'll give it another try. Your recipe is very simular to the one I have but it never turns out the same. Sorry it took me so long to respond but I have been under the weather the last 5 days.

Comment

How my mother and I always made them was a large can of sweet potatoes , 1/2 stick real butter, 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1/2 cups brown sugar and heat at 350. Once they are heated then you place mini marshmellows on top and brown them for about 3-5 mins. Actually I never measured any of this recipe I always put enough brown sugar and syrup to make them taste sweet. So you can add more or less depending how sweet you like them.

Actually I hate Sweet potatoes but my DH loves them so I end up making them for him.

Comment

Working...
                          X