Sauerkraut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sauerkraut

How do you make your sauerkraut? I bought a couple of cans and not sure on how to season it.

Re: Sauerkraut

I rinse it very well and then fry it in some butter with sliced onions, a tsp. of sugar and fresh ground pepper to taste...This is awesome served over cooked pork chops, alongside mashed potatoes and a veggie or salad
    A friend is one who walks in when others walk out
    ~Walter Winchell

Comment

Its also good with some sausage and potatoes too.
      My Grandmother use to cook sauerkraut witk green apples and pork ribs and they were very good.
      Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

I always grate a granny smith apple into mine, along with some brown sugar, I cook in crockpot with some kielbasa. At Christmas and Easter I make potato dumplings and cook along with it.

Comment

My fav way is to rinse just a little then add to pan cook with a can of beans ...I use pork and beans.

Comment

i always use the bags of saurkraut. drain and rinse slightly. mix some caraway seeds (about a teaspoon to bag ratio)in pan and add a can of beer. one apple cut in half and nestled in kraut. (no need to peel) place cut side up. add some sausage (partially cooked) on top of kraut. cover with mashed potatoes. bake in 350* oven till sausage is done.

giddy
            JESUS is LOVE and FORGIVENESS

Comment

I like a little diced apple in mine too. Here in the mid-Atlantic (I'm told it it originated with German immigrants) we have sauerkraut as part of Thanksgiving dinner. In addition to the apple, I also put at least half neck (the other half reserved for stock) and perhaps a wing tip in with the kraut while it's simmering on the stovetop. As the neck cooks, I then pull off the bit of meat that's on it and stir it into the kraut. Yummmm. I usually do the same if I'm roasting a chicken.

Comment

Like Girlgiraffe, I Just Dump Whole Jar Or Bag (only Way I Buy It, Refrigerator Section) In Skillet Add Polish Sausage/kielbasa Sausage, Plain Ole Hot Dogs, Bratwurst (cooked/grilled First). And Cook Until Good And Hot.
                "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                X