Crusty Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crusty Bread

Some time ago, someone requested a recipe for a crusty bread or something similar. It looked like Italian bread. Someone posted a recipe and detailed instructions with 3 or 4 pictures of the process. It printed off on 3 pages, I believe. It got rave reviews. I must have tossed it some place along the way, and guess what, I need it now. I have searched here and cannot find it. Does it ring a bell with anyone and can you head me toward the recipe? Thanks.

Re: Crusty Bread

I'm new here so this isn't the old post you are looking for. However, I have I new favorite bread to make, crusty on the outside, moist on the inside and with great favour. This is the closest I've found to the excellent bread at Domenico's---our locally owned favorite Italian resturant. I make this in the bread machine but I'm sure you could adapt it to tradional methods. Makes great toast also. [With my next batch, I'll make this into raisin bread. I'll just add the raisins before the last rise---no cinnamon as yeast isn't as active when it's in the dough.]

My New Favorite Bread

1 teaspoon vinegar (I used balsamic)
    1/2 cup water
    1 cup milk
    2 tablespoons melted butter (or vegetable oil---I used butter)
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    2 teaspoons bread machine or fast-acting yeast

1. Place ingredients in the bread machine pan in the above order.
    2. Select basic cycle. Suggestion: light crust setting and 50min or more bake.

CRUSTY OUTSIDE, MOIST INSIDE, EXCELLENT FLAVOR, CUTS WELL!
    Mary Ann in Wisconsin
    "A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Comment

Maggielee...I just noticed your location...I'm talking about Domenico's in BELOIT. Of course, with Maria's near you... ; )
      Mary Ann in Wisconsin
      "A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Comment

Was it the No Knead Bread, it had a lot of reviews, and pictures.

http://copykatchat.com/showthread.php?t=18302

Hi, olmphoto, thanks for your recipe and review. Always looking for new bread machine recipes to try.

Comment

Olmphoto2, how fun to find someone so close to home. The bread that I am actually trying to duplicate is from Maggiotto's (sp?) in Mayfair Mall in Milwaukee. I will try your recipe. I think I will mix it in the bread machine and shape it to bake in the oven. Thank you!
          Luv2bake, I think it was the no knead one. There were lots of pictures and lots of posts regarding it. I thought it was BettyR's, but I looked all through her posts and could not find it. Thanks for your information. I could not open the photo, but will try again.

Comment

Maggie, the first photo of BettyR's was removed, but the second and third one opened for me.

Comment

Thank-you for sharing this recipe.
              It sounds delicious!
              Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Olmphoto2, I made your bread yesterday, and it was delicious! I shaped it into a baugette on a cornmeal dusted cookie sheet. It is a keeper for sure.
                Luv2bake, I did open the thread that you shared with me and it was the right one. I am planning to start it Friday. I am only one, so I can't get to carried away baking this bread.
                Thanks to you both.

Comment

As I've made this bread a half dozen times or so now, I thought I'd give an update on how I've tweaked it. A redone copy is at the bottom of this post. The most important part, for me, was to decrease the baking powder and the yeast a bit. Otherwise, it tended to rise just a bit too fast---I'd need to start the baking cycle a tad early. This way, I just let it go 'as is' on the regular cycle. I realized too that I was always grabbing the bread flour rather than the all-purpose, so I changed that here also. Feel free to tweak it to suit your own needs.

An aside: Anyone use their bread machines on the timed cycle to make bread to have it ready in the am or after work? I've thought about this with the "milk" factor problem. You can't normally do this if you are using milk (or eggs for that matter) r/t spoilage. But, we use "Easy", the reduced lactose Dean's product that has quite some shelf life compared to regular. And the shelf life of "Silk" is really wild! Hmmm...just might want to try this. I've used this recipe also to make raisin bread, which is a DD favorite. That would make it easier to have ready on a Sunday morning when she's in town and comes over. This is "Mother war"! I want this house smelling DARN good when she walks in, ready with something tasty for her! LOL

Olmstead Favorite Crusty Bread

1 teaspoon vinegar (I use balsamic)
                  1/2 cup water
                  1 cup milk
                  2 tablespoons melted butter (or vegetable oil---I use butter)
                  1 1/2 teaspoons salt
                  1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
                  3 level cups bread (or more as needed)
                  1/4 teaspoon baking powder
                  1-1/2 teaspoons bread machine or fast acting yeast

Place ingredients in the bread machine pan in the above order. Select basic cycle. You may need to add a bit more flour (I find this easier than beginning with too much flour and attempting to incorporate more liquid.) You might like using a light crust setting if you have it, but regular works just fine.

CRUSTY outside, MOIST inside, EXCELLENT FLAVOR, CUTS WELL!
                  (This is an variation of an English Muffin Bread.)
                  Mary Ann in Wisconsin

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Comment

Working...
                  X