Marinated Onions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marinated Onions

A month or so ago, I went to the Dallas/Ft Worth area and stopped in one of their Central Markets. On their Olive Bar they had a "bin" with Marinated Chipolini Onions. They were marinated in what I think is balsamic vinegar (liquid was purple! lol), sweet/sour, but not too much of either. The onions actually looked more like pearl onions than chipolini's, but I'd like to make some. The onions were small and whole, crunchy still, don't think they were ever cooked.
    I could probably eventually figure it out, but don't want to ruin a bunch of onions doing it.

So, long story short, does anyone have a recipe how to make them? I know Google is our friend, but I don't feel like googling at the moment, and I know some of ya'll LIVE to google for us lazy folks! lol

TIA
    Jackie
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Marinated Onions

OK Lazy Bones

Here's one I found

Marinated Cipollini Onions

4 cups white wine vinegar
    3-1/2 Tbs. granulated sugar
    Pinch of salt
    2 lbs. Italian cipollini onions
    4 cups balsamic vinegar of Modena
    3-1/2 Tbs. brown sugar

Place 4 cups of white wine vinegar, 3-1/2 tablespoons of granulated sugar and a pinch of salt in a large pot and bring it to a boil. Add 4 pounds of cipollini onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. In another saucepan combine 4 cups of balsamic vinegar and 3-1/2 tablespoons of brown sugar. Heat and stir to dissolve the brown sugar but do not bring it to a boil.

Using a slotted spoon, spoon out the onions and place them in a sterile canning jar. Fill the jar almost to the top -- leaving 1/2-inch of space. Spoon in the balsamic vinegar mixture over them and seal according to the manufacturer's direction, or you can store in the refrigerator. They are better if you let them marinate for a day or two. When ready to serve, bring them to room temperature and use them as a side dish or wonderful condiments to grilled meats.

This would make a good gift item to place in a basket. This recipe makes approximately 5 pints.

Comment

I Love You Rube!!!!! Mmmmmmuuuuuuuuaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Comment

What's The Difference In Taste Between White Wine Vinegar And Red Wine Vinegar? I Have A Bunch Of Red, Never Tasted The White. Is There That Much Of A Difference That I Can't Substitute?

Comment

Nu, I am not sure about taste but the red wine vinegar would probably discolor the onions.

Comment

I don't see how the red wine vinegar could discolour the onions any more than the balsamic vinegar would. Use either

Comment

YEAH, THEY'LL BE PURPLE FROM THE BALSAMIC ANYWAY.... THANKS RUBE, AND JACKI!!

RUBE...... YOUR MY HERO!!!!!!!

Comment

OOOOPS double post
                Last edited by Rubelishous; 11-19-2008, 03:10 PM.

Comment

As I stand here in my stretchy outfit with the big red R on my chest and the blue velvet cape flapping in the breeze - I accept your homage as it is justly deserved.

My greatness is only exceeded by my extreme modesty and my magnificent good looks

Comment

******bowing At Your Feet!!!********

I'M NOT WORTHY!!!!!!!!

Comment

This too is true

Comment

[QUOTE=Rubelishous;290845]This too is true[/QUOTE]

HEY!!! YOUR NOT SUPPOSE TO AGREE! LOL

Comment

I didn't want to hurt your feelings by disagreeing with you. Oh it is so difficult discoursing with a mortal

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X