Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a little help with this CK oldie...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help with this CK oldie...

I love this "three day coconut cake" but each time I make it to bring to a pot luck, the frosting (mixed with the cool whip) slides off the cake. Any ideas how too thicken it so it stays where I tell it to?

nr42
    Posted December 10, 2005 02:28 AM

This is one of my most requested cakes. I thought I'd share it with my friends. I hope you enjoy it.
    Tammy

THREE DAY COCONUT CAKE

1 pkg. white cake mix
    1 3/4 c. sugar
    16 oz. sour cream
    12 oz. flaked coconut
    1 (9 oz.) container frozen whipped topping

Bake cake mix according to package directions in two 8 or 9 inch layer pans. Remove from pans and when cool split each in half to make 4 layers. Using a thread pulled through the layer - this is an easy way to split the cakes.
    While cake is baking, combine sugar, sour cream and coconut. Mix well. Remove 1 cup of the mixture and set aside.
    Use remainder between layers of cake that will be four layers high. It will be a thick filling.
    To the reserved 1 cup of mixture fold in frozen whipped toping and mix well. Use as frosting on sides and top of cake.
    Tightly seal cake in container and refrigerate for at least three days or longer and then eat.

Re: Need a little help with this CK oldie...

I'm not sure that you can travel with this cake. I think it is meant to stay cold and cool whip gets too loose when warmed up.
    You may can use a real whipping cream and stabilize it by using powdered sugar instead of regular sugar, or using gelatin, or piping gel. It would still need to be kept cold, but may hold up a little better than cool whip.
    Google and find some options for stabilizing whipped cream frosting.

Comment

This may work

Stabilized Whipped Cream Icing
      This is the type used on bakery-style cakes.

2 teaspoons Knox Gelatine
      4 teaspoons cold water
      1 cup heavy whipping cream
      1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
      1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix Knox Gelatine and cold water and set aside.

Whip the cream, and add confectioner's sugar. Add gelatine mixture and vanilla extract.

This does not alter the taste of the whipped cream in any way. It may be used in place of Cool Whip in desserts.

(OR)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sturdy-Whipped-Cream-Frosting/Detail.aspx
      Last edited by AllieK; 11-22-2008, 11:15 AM.

Comment

that sounds perfect! I will only be driving 15 miles but I may even frost it there

Comment

Are you guys kidding me??? Who can leave a coconut cake in the fridge for 3 days without picking at it, LOL?
          Jeanne

Comment

Working...
          X