caramel's with sea salt on top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caramel's with sea salt on top

IM looking for a recipe for caramels that had a dusting of sea salt on top. It was featured on channel 13 wqed. I remember it had whipping cream and milk and butter. thanks for the help.

Re: caramel's with sea salt on top

Walnut Caramels
    Source: WQED Pittsburgh magazine.com
    http://www.wqed.org/mag/columns/cook/2008/1208_cook.php (pics)

Makes 120 1-inch caramels

Ingredients:
    4 cups heavy cream
    11/3 cups light corn syrup
    11/3 cups honey
    2 cups sugar
    8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 pound walnuts, toasted and chopped
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Instructions:
    Grease bottom and sides of 9-by-13-inch pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease the top of the parchment paper. Combine cream, corn syrup, honey and sugar in a large pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until a candy thermometer reads 260 degrees. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, kosher salt and vanilla. Fold in walnuts. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining sea salt over the caramels. Cool. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a cutting board. Cut into 1-inch pieces. Roll individually in waxed paper.

Deweydecimal
    Live Laugh Love

Comment

That sounds good. Bet it would work with Machele's caramel recipe also!!!

(By the Machele if your reading this, my boss fell in love with your caramels! If I make him some for Christmas, maybe I'll get a raise!!! I'll buy you something if I do!!! lol )
      "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Ina Garten did fleur de sel caramels on a show. You can find it on the Food TV Network.
        "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

I just turned on Food Network, and if your looking right now, Ina is making the caramels as we speak. Hurry look! lol

Comment

has anyone tried the recipe posted above? My mom's chocolate caramels were always good, but they came out hard-----------------anyone have a solution? Laura

Comment

I haven't tried it. My recipe for caramels, is not hard (unless you get the temp to high). I have found that it is all in the temperature you cook it to. A couple degrees to high or to low makes a big difference.

Comment

Machele, what's the temp you cook your caramels to? My Mother's was 238*, and srill came out hard. Any advice? Thanks, Laura

Comment

[QUOTE=lampladies;294234]Machele, what's the temp you cook your caramels to? My Mother's was 238*, and srill came out hard. Any advice? Thanks, Laura[/QUOTE]

Her recipe I've got saved on my favorites on my computer says 246

Comment

If I boiled mine to 238 I would have caramel for ice cream..... still good, but impossible to wrap, LOL.

You can check your thermometer by boiling water. Water boils at 212 degrees(sea level). Does your thermometer read that?

Comment

Working...
                    X