Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Potluck?

Hey all!

My branch is throwing a Christmas Potluck this year and I'm trying to come up with ideas of what I can bring (besides napkins, plates, soda etc). The only thing claimed so far is the Ham. So, I'm looking for a side dish or a dessert to bring. So, what would you suggest?
    Last edited by thatallamericangirl; 12-08-2008, 02:06 PM.
    I don't like making plans for the day, because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.

Re: Christmas Potluck?

We Had Christmas Potluck At Work, We Had Ham, Turkey, Dressing, Mashed Potatos, Giblet Gravy, Sweet Potatoes, Corn, Green Beans, Rolls, Broccoli Rice Casserole...... I Know I'm Forgetting Something.

We Have A Double Burner Here And The Girl Who Made Mashed Potatos, Boiled Her Potatos Here And Mashed Them, So They Were Hot For The Lunch, Had Several Crockpots To Keep Things Warm. I Did The Turkey And Ham, I Cooked Them At Home, And Wrapped Them In Foil, And Warmed Them In My Roasting Oven.

Go To The Crockpot Thread, Bet There's A Bunch There That Would Be Good So You Can Keep Warm. I Think In Seasonal There's A Crockpot Dressing Also.
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I have Bean's Best Corn Ever in the crock pot as I type for our holiday potluck tonight. Can't wait to try it!!
      "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

A couple of my personal favorite sides to have with ham are mac/cheese or scalloped potatoes. I would think either one could put in a crock to be kept warm.

Comment

Make you a Turtle Cheesecake.

Comment

Personally, I enjoy a lighter dessert after the heavy, rich meal. I have always been drawn toward the trifles, or the jello-type desserts at Christmas. A cookie/candy platter is nice too. Cookies are small servings.
            Last edited by AllieK; 12-10-2008, 12:03 AM.

Comment

How about meatballs and BBQ sauce in a crock pot.

Comment

I made Broccoli Orange Salad one year and had to give out the recipe to everyone and now I have no choice but to bring it, I am TOLD!

Moo originally posted it.

Broccoli Orange Salad

Dressing:

1 egg
                cup sugar
                1 tsp. prepared mustard
                tsp. cornstarch
                2 Tbsp. water
                2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
                2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
                2 Tbsp. sour cream
                1 Tbsp. butter

Combine the egg, sugar, mustard and cornstarch. Whisk until smooth. Add the vinegar and water and cook until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the mayo, sour cream and butter. Set aside to cool.

Combine for the salad:

4 cups broccoli flowerets
                1 cup salted cashews
                1 cup cubed Swiss cheese
                1 can drained mandarin oranges
                cup chopped Craisins/ dried cranberries (can use raisins)
                6 strips bacon, cooked crisply and crumbled
                cup chopped red onion.

Place in a large bowl and toss. Just before serving, add the dressing and toss to coat.
                A man of words and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds.

Comment

Oh, I want some of that!
                  Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

I make a "winter fruit salad" similar to your broccoli salad... w/ chopped pears and apples. YUM!!
                    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

This is always super easy and everyone loves it. you don't have to make it sugar free, but no one knows the difference, it is so good.Our family is Lg and someones always makes it.

Chocolate Eclair Dessert

List of Ingredients

24 low- far graham crackers (about1 box)
                      2 small sugar-free INSTANT vanilla pudding
                      3 cups skim milk
                      1-12 oz Cool Whip (thawed, but cold)
                      1 small sugar-free INSTANT chocolate pudding
                      1 cups skim milk

Recipe

1. place 8 double crackers in the bottom of a 9x13 pan

2.Mix vanilla pudding with 3 cups skim milk; let sit 2 minutes

3. Gently fold in Cool Whip

4.Pour half onto layer of graham crackers

5.Place 8 more crackers on top of this

6.Pour remaining pudding over this layer. ,top with 8 more crackers.

7. mix chocolate pudding with 1 cups skim milk, let sit 2 minutes.

8. Spread over top crackers, refrigerate 6 hrs. or overnight to soften crackers.

Serves 18
                      exchanges: 1 bread/starch, milk .................................
                      I organize chores into catagories.
                      Things I won't do now; things I won't do later; things I'll never do.

Comment

Working...
                      X