ISO egg noodle Recipe from commodity package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO egg noodle Recipe from commodity package

My mom used to make egg noodles using the powdered eggs we got with the commodities back when I was a child. Does anyone happen to have that recipe from the back of the package? Or happen to know where I can find the recipe online?

Thanks in advance,
    Joyce

PS...not sure I like this new look. I had to re-register to get into the website.

Here's the recipe i found

Commodity Egg Mix

Storing

Store egg mix in the refrigerator, freezer or dry, cool place where temperature is 50º F or below. Store for up to 1 year.

Refrigerate egg mix after opened, in a container with a tight-fitting lid. If not covered tightly, egg mix will absorb moisture and odors, become lumpy, and not mix easily with liquid.

Using Egg Mix

Use egg mix in place of shell eggs in most recipes. Combine egg mix with other dry ingredients. Increase the liquid in the recipe by adding the amount of water needed to reconstitute the egg. Omit salt when using egg mix.

Reconstituting

Egg mix is reconstituted by blending with water. Reconstitute only amount needed at one time. Egg mix kept in the freezer will reconstitute easier than if kept at room temperature. Use a blender, food processor or mixer to blend eggs and reduce lumps.

To reconstitute:

1. Spoon egg mix lightly into a cup and level the top with a spatula or straight edge of a knife.

2. Measure lukewarm water into a bowl. Sprinkle egg mix over the water. Stir to moisten the egg mix.

3. Beat until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as you beat.

4. Use reconstituted egg immediately. The chart shows how much egg mix and water equals how many eggs.

Dry Egg Mix + Water = Egg

2 T. dry egg mix + 2 T. + 2 t. water = 1 egg

1/4 cup dry egg mix + 5 T. + 1 t. water = 2 eggs

6 T. dry egg mix + ½ cup water =3 eggs

½ cup dry egg mix + 10 T. + 2 t. water = 4 eggs

10 T. dry egg mix + 13 T. + 1 t. Water +5 eggs

3/4 cup dry egg mix + 1 cup water = 6 eggs

Cooking

Reconstituted egg mix can be substituted for shell eggs in any recipe that requires thorough cooking. Egg dishes should be cooked to 160ºF. Scrambled eggs should be firm. Noodles or dumplings made with egg mix should be boiled at least 12 minutes.

Basically this has to be done first before the egg noodles can be started

Comment

Homemade Egg Noodles

HOMEMADE EGG NOODLES

THE NOODLE DOUGH:
      1 cups all-purpose flour
      2 "large" eggs
      2 to 4 tablespoon cold water

Place the flour in a mixing bowl, make a well in the center, and break in the 2 eggs; blend them with 2 tablespoons of the water, and gradually mix in the surrounding flour with a wooden spoon or spatula.

Blend vigorously to make a stiff dough; turn out onto a work surface and knead vigorously with the heel of your hand, adding droplets more of water to unblended bits.

Dough should just form into a mass - the noodle machine will do the rest.

FINISHING the DOUGH and FORMING NOODLES

Cut the dough in half and cover one piece with plastic while forming the other. Flatten this piece of dough into a cake the size of your palm, and pinch one edge so it will fit into the machine. Set smooth rollers to their widest opening - number 8 on most machines. Crank the dough through. Fold dough in half, end to end, and crank through several times until dough is smooth and fairly evenly rectangular; as necessary, brush dough with flour before passing through rollers, since it will stick to the machine if it is too damp.

When dough is smooth, reset rollers to the next lower setting and crank it through, then to the next lower, and the next - which is usually number 5. By this time your strip of dough will be so long you will probably want to cut it in two; now pass the first and then the second half through number 4, the setting that gives the right thinness for noodles and lasagna. Hang each strip as it is finished on a broom handle to dry out briefly (but not to stiff - 4 to 5 minutes are usually enough). Repeat the process with the reserved piece of dough, then crank the dried strips through the noodle roller, set at number 4, and hang noodles on broom handles as you cut them.

Noodles may be formed and cooked at once, or formed in advance and cooked later. For instance, you may let them hang on the broom handles until they have dried thoroughly, and then package them.

COOKING NOODLES:

A large kettle filled with at least 8 quarts rapidly boiling water
      2 teaspoons of salt per quart of water
      Butter and olive oil (or your choice of dressing)
      salt and pepper

About 5 minutes before serving plunge the noodles into the rapidly boiling water and cover until boil is reached.

Then boil uncovered, frequently testing the noodle cooking by eating a strand - fresh soft noodles take but a minute of cooking, while dry noodles take a minute or two longer.

Once they are done, drain in a colander, shaking vigorously to remove excess water. Spread a little butter and oil in the platter, turn in the noodles and toss, adding salt and pepper and more butter and oil. Serves 8 generously (the equivalent of 2 boxes of noodles)

My Grandma alway's used this recipe but didn't use a noodle machine

Comment

Powdered Egg Noodles

Thanx for all the good info...but still not what i was looking for. however, I'll keep searching...maybe someone out there still remembers the commodities they used to give out back in the late 60's early 70's and will have the recipe. Thanx again.

Joyce

Comment

Working...
        X