Enchilada sauce

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enchilada sauce

I like a mild sauce, not the traditional mole sauce. Plus I'm not that big on chili powder. Weird, I know

Re: Enchilada sauce

Come on Ladies help me out!!! Please

Comment

I'm from Texas too and don't know of a enchilada sauce that doesn't have a lot of chili powder.
      Do you like tomato sauce/paste in it?

I use this Chili Gravy. It's from Larry's Cheese Enchiladas. You can find it doing a search.
      I had to double the recipe to make enough for a 9x13 pan of enchiladas.
      You might not think it tastes good right from the pan, but once the tortillas, cheese, and meat are together, it's nice. Just don't ladle it on too thickly.

Chili Gravy
      1/4 cup vegetable oil
      1/4 cup flour
      1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
      1 teaspoon salt ( I used less and added at the end if needed))
      1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
      2 teaspoons ground cumin
      1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
      2 tablespoons chili powder ( I used less. For a doubled recipe, I used 3T))
      2 cups low sodium chicken broth
      1/2 cup water (optional)
      A little masa flour in water to add a nice corn flavor and tames some of the bitterness of the chili powder(optional)

Directions:
      Chili Gravy:
      Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the flour and stir continuously for 3 to 4 minutes until it makes a light brown roux. Add all the dry ingredients and continue to cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously to blend well. Add chicken broth gradually, whisking and stirring until the sauce thickens. Let sauce simmer on low for 15 minutes, adding water to adjust thickness.
      Last edited by AllieK; 06-09-2012, 07:38 PM.

Comment

I used to make a red enchilada sauce. Then I tasted the canned green enchilada sauce made by Hatch. That has become my favorite. I haven't tried to make it. I have several recipes for green enchilada sauce, but they all call for tomatilias. The Hatch sauce uses the mild New Mexico chilies in place of the tomatillas. I really like the mild taste of this. If anyone developes a copy-cat recipe, I would really like to have it.

Comment

Yea I like the green sauce in a can, but the price has gone way up on it .I think it's around 3 dollars a can

Comment

This is the recipe I use for canning (doubled...tripled...) when I still have tomatoes to use up after canning spaghetti sauce. It does have some chili powder in it, but not much in proportion to the other ingredients, and you can always use less. I'm passing on the original recipe that uses canned tomatoes.

Enchilada Sauce:

1 1/2 cups chopped onion
            Just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a large Dutch oven
            2, 1lb. cans tomatoes
            2, 8oz. cans tomato sauce
            2-3 tsp. finely chopped green or jalapeno chili peppers
            1 tsp. salt
            2 tsp. sugar
            1 Tbsp. chili powder
            1/2 tsp. cumin
            2 cloves of garlic (left whole)

Over medium high heat, cook onion in oil until tender. Add all remaining ingredients, using green chilis for a milder flavor or jalapenos for hot. Simmer over low heat, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove garlic cloves. Transfer mixture to blender and process until fairly smooth.

Comment

These r great, thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
              X