Ancini di Pepe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancini di Pepe

I'm looking for this pasta salad that I get at Jason's Deli, and I believe it is made with Ancini di Pepe or possibly Orzo (not sure if they are the same thing). I am also new to CopyKat, so any help, advice, input is helpful!!! Thanks to all!

Re: Ancini di Pepe

Ancini di pepe and orzo are both pastas, just different shapes. Orzo looks like fat rice, ancini di pepe looks more like couscous grains when uncooked. I've used orzo a lot, haven't tried ancini yet. You can pretty much use orzo like any other pasta and it does make a great cold pasta salad. I can't see why you couldn't use ancini the same way. I hope this helps a little bit. I haven't tried these recipes but I did copy them because they looked really good.

Orzo Salad with Chickpeas and Artichoke Hearts

Total Time: 30 Minutes 2 servings

Quintessential Greek flavors—feta, lemon and dill—combine perfectly in this hearty salad..
    Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the salad—without the tomatoes and spinach—cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Add the tomatoes just before serving and serve over the spinach.

INGREDIENTS
    1/2 cup orzo or other tiny pasta
    1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
    1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
    1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
    1 large tomato, chopped
    2 cups baby spinach leaves

DIRECTIONS
    Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Cook orzo until just tender, about 9 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Press to remove excess water. Transfer to a medium bowl and toss with oil.
    Mash garlic and salt into a paste with the back of a spoon in a medium bowl. Whisk in lemon juice and pepper. Add the cooked orzo, artichokes, chickpeas, feta, dill and mint; toss gently to combine. Add tomatoes and toss again.
    Divide spinach between 2 plates and top with the salad.

Nutrition Information
    2 servings - Facts Per Serving:
    Calories: 431 Fat. Total: 8g Carbohydrates, Total: 74g
    Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 705mg Protein: 18g
    Fiber: 9g % Cal. from Fat: 17% Fat, Saturated: 2g

Mexican Orzo Salad
    Rated:

Submitted By: NST62
    Prep Time: 24 Minutes
    Cook Time: 10 Minutes Ready In: 2 Hours 34 Minutes
    Servings: 8

"A Mexican-inspired cold pasta salad features orzo, chickpeas, black beans, cilantro, and lime juice for a refreshing, colorful meal."
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 (16 ounce) package orzo pasta
    1 small red bell pepper, chopped
    1 small yellow bell pepper, chopped
    1 bunch green onions, chopped
    1 small red onion, finely chopped
    1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and
    drained
    1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and
    drained 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and
    drained
    1 (8.75 ounce) can whole kernel corn,
    drained
    1 cup chopped cilantro leaves
    salt to taste
    pepper to taste
    5 limes, juiced
    6 tablespoons canola oil

DIRECTIONS:

1. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the orzo, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 10 minutes. Drain.

2. Place the drained orzo in a large salad bowl, and fold in the red pepper, yellow pepper, green onions, red onion, chickpeas, kidney beans, black beans, corn, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour the lime juice and oil over the salad, toss to coat, and refrigerate at least 2 hours to chill before serving.

Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Feta Vinaigrette

Make a colorful dinner salad inspired by the Mediterranean in less than 30 minutes. Use part of the artichoke marinade in the vinaigrette to boost flavor and save time.

1 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta; about 8 ounces)
    2 cups bagged prewashed baby spinach, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves
    3 tablespoons chopped red onion
    3 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 (6-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, undrained
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) feta cheese, crumbled and divided

Cook the orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; rinse with cold water. Combine orzo, spinach, and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl.
    Drain artichokes, reserving marinade. Coarsely chop artichokes, and add artichokes, reserved marinade, and 1/2 cup feta cheese to orzo mixture, tossing gently to coat. Sprinkle each serving with remaining feta cheese.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups salad and about 1 tablespoon cheese)

CALORIES 338 (29% from fat); FAT 11g (sat 3.8g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.5g); IRON 3mg; CHOLESTEROL 19mg; CALCIUM 138mg; CARBOHYDRATE 52g; SODIUM 620mg; PROTEIN 11.9g; FIBER 5.1g

Comment

Re: Ancini di Pepe

Thank you so much! These all sound great, but none are the recipe I am looking for. I will definitely give these a try, though!

Comment

Working...
      X