Need thought on a sauce to go with Shrimp/Salmon Cakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need thought on a sauce to go with Shrimp/Salmon Cakes

Just experimented with a Recipe for Shrimp Salmon cakes. Any thought about a side sauce that can be used for them? I am not a big fan of Tartar. May just serve with a bit of cocktail sauce but maybe I will pick up the Green Lettuce Salsa from the Peruvian Restaurant.

Re: Need thought on a sauce to go with Shrimp/Salmon Cakes

This is a very versatile sauce that works on a lot of things.

Roasted Plum Tomatoes

8 plum tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), halved lengthwise
    1 Tbs olive oil
    1 clove mashed garlic
    1/4 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp coarse salt
    1/4 tsp ground pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss tomatoes with oil, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper until coated. Arrange in a single layer, cut sides up on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until soft, about 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove skins. For a smoother sauce, whiz in blender or small processor.

Source
    Author: Martha Stewart

Comment

For me I would go with the coctail sauce -- some ketsup + a little lemon juice + a dab of ground horseradish.

Comment

How about an Aioli. Really nice with fish.

Comment

The recipe below has a fantastic sauce that I've used on chicken, steelhead, tilapia, shrimp, all kinds of things. It's not hard to make and tastes awesome. It's kind of similar to the Peruvian sauce in a way. (BTW, I love that stuff! Tastes good and clears the sinuses!)

GRILLED CHICKEN WITH PUMPKIN SEED SAUCE

The pumpkin seed sauce in this recipe is inspired by green mole, a classic Mexican sauce. It’s also good with grilled salmon, steelhead and roasted pork tenderloin.

2 Tbsp olive oil
          ¼ cup chopped onion
          1 garlic clove, minced
          1 jalapeno chile, chopped (seeds and ribs removed for less heat if desired)
          ¼ cup raw green pumpkin seeds (pepitas, can be found in bulk)
          1½ cups packed chopped romaine lettuce (2 ounces)
          1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
          Coarse salt and ground pepper
          ¼ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
          4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 oz each)

Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 8 minutes.

Add pumpkin seeds; cook, stirring often, until puffed, about 5 minutes. Add lettuce, vinegar, and 1 cup water, season with 1½ tsp salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until lettuce is tender, about 10 minutes.

Transfer mixture to a blender; add cilantro. Blend on high speed until sauce is very smooth, about 3 minutes. Thin sauce with 2 to 4 Tbsp more water, if needed (it should be pourable).

Meanwhile, heat grill to medium-high; oil grates. Rub chicken with remaining tablespoon oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Grill, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Serve with sauce.

Note: The sauce can be made up to 2 days in advance; let cool completely, then refrigerate in an airtight container. Reheat over low heat.

Comment

Sounds great! I am making these as little cakes for an appetizer in a few weeks. I think I will place a small bowl of this pumpkin seed sauce in the middle of the plate. Thank you

Comment

we use this alot

Joe's Mustard Sauce Epicurious | Copyright ©November 1993

Jo Ann Bass and Richard Sax
              Reprinted with permission from Eat at Joe's: The Joe's Stone Crab Restaurant Cookbook

Editor's note: This recipe is reprinted from Jo Ann Bass and Richard Sax's book Eat at Joe's: The Joe's Stone Crab Restaurant Cookbook.

At Joe's, the stone crabs are served cold, already cracked. They come with small metal cups of mustard or melted butter—or both. This is the mustard sauce for which Joe's is famous.
              Yield: Makes 4 servings
              ingredients
              1 tablespoon Colman's dry mustard, or more to taste,
              1 cup mayonnaise
              2 teaspoons Worcestershire
              1 teaspoon A-1 sauce
              2 tablespoons light cream
              salt
              preparation

Place the mustard in a mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the mayonnaise and beat for 1 minute.

Add the Worcestershire, A-1, cream, and a pinch of salt and beat until the mixture is well blended and creamy. If you'd like a little more mustardy bite, whisk in 1/2 teaspoon more dry mustard until well blended. Chill the sauce, covered, until serving.

Source Information
              Reprinted with permission from Eat at Joe's: The Joe's Stone Crab Restaurant Cookbook, Copyright ©November 1993, Jo Ann Bass and Richard Sax, Clarkson Potter

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/printerfriendly/Joes-Mustard-Sauce-235807#ixzz2SjjfQAkX

Comment

Working...
              X