Lemoncello

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lemoncello

I was offering free lemons to my neighbor. Her husband spoke up and said that he would like to make some lemoncello. Has anyone made some that you like? Would you share your recipe please? Or do you have one that sounds like it will be good?

Re: Lemoncello

Limoncello
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
    Ingredients
    • 10 lemons
    • 1 (750-ml) bottle vodka
    • 3 1/2 cups water
    • 2 1/2 cups sugar

• Directions
    • Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel from the lemons in long strips (reserve the lemons for another use). Using a small sharp knife, trim away the white pith from the lemon peels; discard the pith. Place the lemon peels in a 2-quart pitcher. Pour the vodka over the peels and cover with plastic wrap. Steep the lemon peels in the vodka for 4 days at room temperature.
    • Stir the water and sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Cool completely. Pour the sugar syrup over the vodka mixture. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight. Strain the limoncello through a mesh strainer. Discard the peels. Transfer the limoncello to bottles. Seal the bottles and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours and up to 1 month.

Comment

I've made the Giada recipe. It's delicious!!
      "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Sometimes too delicious. I get lemonade with mango and I spike it with a shot of lemoncello, so good....

Comment

Lemoncello, or Limoncello

15 to 20 thick zested lemons
          1 (750 ml) bottle 100 proof vodka
          1 (750 ml) bottle 190 proof grain alcohol (Everclear)
          4 cups sugar
          5 cups water

This is a great lemony flavored vodka that is great for sipping after dinner, or anytime. I always try to keep some in the freezer.

Wash the lemons well with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any residue of pesticides or wax.
          Pat the lemons dry.
          Using a vegetable peeler, peel the lemons.
          If you do get some of the pith with the zest, carefully scrape it away with the tip of a knife.
          Fill the jar with bottles of the vodka, grain alcohol and the zest.
          Cover the jar and let it sit forty days at room temperature in a dark cabinet.
          Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan, bring it to a boil and cook until thickened, about five minutes.
          Let the syrup cool before adding it to the limoncello mixture.
          Cover and return to the cupboard for another 40 days.
          Strain the limoncello into bottles and discard the lemon zest.
          Store them in a cupboard or the freezer.

makes approx. 3 quarts

I stumbled onto a good drink. Last night I put some keylimecello into the glass then added some tropicana fruit punch to it. Mighty tasty.

If doing grapefruit, zest 8 Ruby Red grapefruit.

Comment

I made the Giada recipie before, to be honest it tasted like pledge to me. I wont hesitate to just buy it from the store now ahahhah. I have to say I left the lemon peels in the vodka for about 2 months though, just because I put it in the pantry and forgot about it. That could be why it tasted bad.

Comment

I have done the one Midwestgirl s***ested. IT was very good, lemony, sweet, syrupy and good sipping out of the freezer.

Comment

Thanks for the recipes and your comments. I printed out the recipes and gave them to my neighbor.

Comment

Working...
                X