Those tortilla pinwheel things

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those tortilla pinwheel things

You know those 'pinwheel' appetizer things made with torillas, cream cheese and other add-ins? I made variety of them for New Year's Eve, and DD wanted to make some for a get-together last weekend. I seem to make the same kind all the time, so was just wondering, if any of you here make them too, what you put into yours? I need to switch it up a bit. Thanks.
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Re: Those tortilla pinwheel things

Do a Google search for "tortilla rollups" and you will find dozens of ideas. More than I can list here.

In addition to different fillings, try some different flat breads. A good one is "lavash flatbread", a middle eastern bread. It's thinner than flour tortillas and doesn't have that uncooked flour taste that tortillas have. It comes in a big squares in a plastic bag, looking like a folded up table cloth. (Some versions look like big puffy tortillas, that's not the kind you want). The thin, square version is available at Trader Joe's Supermarkets.

Also try flavored flatbread. Flatout Flatbreads is one brand with flavors in the bread. I've also used green and orange flat bread that have spinach and other vegetables mixed in the dough to give them different colors.

Try some flavored cream cheeses like pimento, chive & onion, pineapple, etc.
    Last edited by Antilope; 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM.

Comment

The lavash flatbread sounds interesting, I will look for that. I've used spinach, tomato and whole wheat tortillas. Tried the different flavoured cream cheeses.Sometimes I mince green or red pepper, green onion, pickle, olives etc. depending on which type of flavour cheese I use, prefer to use black forest ham, but other deli meats are good too. I will do a Google search. thank you.

Comment

This is the one I use, and I too have used the different flavored tortillas....never thought to google it, but will now.

Tortilla Pinwheel Wraps
        Tortilla Pinwheels

1 cup sour cream
        8 ounces cream cheese
        1(4oz) can diced green chilies, drained
        1 (4oz) can chopped black olives, drained
        1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
        1/2 cup chopped green onions
        Garlic powder to taste
        Seasoned salt to taste
        5 (10 inch) flour tortillas

Combine first 8 ingredients in bowl; mix well. Spread mixture on tortillas.
        Roll to enclose filling.

Chill, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap for several hours.

Cut tortilla rolls into 1/2 inch slices. Arrange on platter. Serve with salsa
        if desired.

yield: 50
        I organize chores into catagories.
        Things I won't do now; things I won't do later; things I'll never do.

Comment

I make this one alot.

Tortilla Rollups

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
          1 cup sour cream
          1 (1 ounce) package dry fiesta-style ranch dressing mix
          1 cup chunky salsa
          1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
          10 (10 inch) flour tortillas

In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, sour cream, fiesta-style ranch dressing mix, chunky salsa and Cheddar cheese. Spread even amounts of the mixture onto the tortillas. Roll tortillas and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

To serve, slice the chilled, rolled tortillas into 3/4 inch slices and arrange on a large serving platter.
          The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

Here is my recipe,

Tortilla Roll-Ups

1 8-ounce package cream cheese
            1 can chopped black olives
            1/4 c. chopped (jarred) jalapenos - more or less
            2 t. juice from jarred jalapenos
            2 green onions, sliced
            Dash black pepper

Mix all together and spread on 3 to 4 large flour tortillas. Roll tightly and wrap each in saran wrap. Place in fridge for at least 2 to 3 hours. Slice thin & serve with hot sauce.

Another we really like a lot -

Tortilla Taco Rollups

1 pkg. flour tortillas

1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
            1 4 oz. can diced green chilies, drained
            4 oz. chopped black olives
            1 pkg. Taco seasoning mix

Place in med. bowl & mix filling ingredients well. Then spread a little less than 1/4 cup on tortillas. Roll up tightly, wrap in plastic wrap. Cover & refrigerate 2-3 hrs. Cut into 1 in. slices.

Serve with salsa or hot sauce.

Comment

DH's favorite is (sorry, I never measure, just pour it in)
              softened cream cheese
              salsa (home made)
              shredded cheese (I usually buy the fiesta blend)
              tortillas.

I add salsa until I like the taste, throw in cheese to help hold it all together, smear, roll, wrap, refrigerate, then slice (after unwrapping of course! lol)

Comment

yummm, these are all pretty much what I do now,,,I had forgotten about adding shredded cheese, that is a big plus. I made some that were all veggie, finely chopped broccoli, minced green onion, and shredded carrot, celery. Now my daughter is into making these for her friends and boyfriend too! Can't go wrong with any combo of ingredients you put in them. I do love the salsa in there as well.

Comment

Working...
                X