cinnamon rolls ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cinnamon rolls ?

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for homemade cinnamon rolls ?

Re: cinnamon rolls ?

I've never tried this, but Cook's Country recipes are usually wonderful, so I have no doubt that these are good. It took me awhile to find the recipe "not" on the cook's Country website, as I am not a premium payer.

http://justbakedbyme.wordpress.com/2012/03/05/cooks-country-ultimate-cinnamon-buns-2/

Comment

THanks AllieK... that looks easy enough and sounds good. I'm thinking of making them next weekend.. I like the fact they can be made ahead of time and baked the next morning... that was what I was hoping!!

Comment

If you ever want to make some out of quick bread, here's a recipe I made for my son, who is allergic to yeast. Of course, it's not as tender as yeast bread, but still they are pretty good and a lot faster than yeast-type.

http://www.sugarlaws.com/cinnamon-rolls

I did make some changes. The bread part needs salt, so I added about 1/2 tsp. The frosting needed some flavoring, so I added about 1 tsp. of vanilla and I thinned it down so it wouldn't just sit on top, but would melt down into the rolls.

I didn't cut into small rectangles first, but rolled the dough out to a 20"x10" rectangle, spread the butter mixture on, then took my pizza cutter and cut 2"x10" strips and rolled each tightly. You could also just roll up the whole thing and cut the rolls.

Comment

I've been making these since the 1970's. Got it at a Tupperware party. LOL

Cinnamon Rolls

2 pkg yeast
          2 cups warm water
          Box of white cake mix
          4 cups flour

Filling

1 stick butter or margarine (melted)
          Sugar to your taste *
          Cinnamon to your taste *
          Walnuts (optional)

Vanilla Frosting

* I keep a big shaker bottle of sugar/cinnamon mixture in the cupboard for toast, cereal, etc., not sure of the exact ratio.

Dissolve 2 pkgs yeast in 2 cups of warm water in large bowl. Add box of cake mix and 4 cups of flour. Mix well. Let rise to double, about one hour (in my oven, just barely turned on).
          Roll flour mixture into large rectangle on a floured surface, to about 1/4 to inch thick. Pour melted butter along center of rectangle and spread to edges until entire surface is covered with butter. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon (I spread it on pretty thick) and add nuts if desired. Very gently roll the rectangle into one (lengthwise) log. I use a floured spatula to lift and roll, lift and roll, etc. Cut roll into 3/4 inch slices. Let your rolls rise for another 45 minutes and bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Frost with vanilla frosting while still warm.

Comment

I got this recipe from a Home Ec teacher. I really like the results.

Potato Cinnamon Rolls
            2 pkg dry yeast
            1/2 C warm water (about 110 degrees)
            2 C warm whole milk, scalded
            1/2 C butter
            6 1/2 to 7 cups flour
            1 C sugar (I used 1/2 cup)
            1 C mashed potatoes (either use instant potatoes mixed with warm water to the consistency of fresh mashed potatoes, or use leftover mashed potatoes from dinner or cook some up and mash them finely)
            2 eggs, beaten slightly
            2 tsp salt

Filling:
            1/2 cup raisins
            2/3 cup nuts
            3/4 cup melted butter
            1 cup brown sugar mixed with
            2 tsp. cinnamon

Icing:
            8 oz. cream cheese
            1/2 cup butter
            2 cups powdered sugar or 1 cup granulated sugar
            1 tsp. vanilla

Soften yeast in warm water. Let stand 10 minutes.
            In large heavy duty mixer, (or in large bowl, if by hand) pour hot milk over butter. Cool to lukewarm. Stir in 4 cups flour, sugar, mashed potatoes, eggs, salt, and dissolved yeast. Mix at low speed. Add remaining flour as needed to make a soft dough, and mix well for five minutes. The dough will be dough-like but wet; it should not pour like a batter! Leave in mixer bowl, covered with plastic wrap, overnight or about 8 hours.

NOTE: To use at a later date, refrigerate covered in bowl; then remove from refrigerator 2 hours before using.

The next morning, punch dough, cut dough in half. Roll each half out into rectangle and liberally cover with the melted butter, the brown sugar, mixed with the cinnamon; add raisins and/or nuts. Roll up and slice into 1 1/2 inch slices. Place on greased cookie sheets. Let rise, covered with greased plastic wrap, until double, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake rolls until golden, about 20 minutes. Cool and cover with frosting.

Potato Rolls
            To make dinner rolls, reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup, omit the filling and icing.
            Last edited by BobbiJo_AZ; 03-13-2013, 06:38 PM.

Comment

I've made them using The Pioneer Woman's recipe. They were easy, and very good.
              http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/cinammon_rolls_/

and we LOVE the caramel apple sticky buns, using the cinnamon roll recipe
              http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/08/caramel-apple-sticky-buns/

Comment

It sounds like you have some good recipes for the rolls so just a couple of tips I do when making them. When they come hot out of the oven take a stick of butter, and I use butter, and rub it lightly across the top of the rolls. The butter will melt down into them and make the tops nice and soft. Put half the frosting on them while they are still good and warm so that the frosting melts down into them. When they have cooled put the other half on them and spread out. It might not look like a lot of frosting on top but you will have the softest, moistest and yummy tasting rolls. If you want more frosting on top then just make a little extra. After the first time you will see how much you should make. I am drooling just thinking of them and am hoping Fed EX will at my door after you make them. Hint, hint!!!!
                Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
                He drew a circle that shut me out.
                But love and I had the wit to win,
                We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Here's my tried and true recipe for Cinnamon Swirl Bread.

Bread Machine Swirled Cinnamon Raisin Bread

This makes a swirled loaf of cinnamon raisin bread by using the Manual Dough Cycle, removing and shaping the dough by hand, returning the shaped dough to the bread machine to rise, and baking the bread with the bread machine Manual Bake Cycle. Finally the cooled cinnamon raisin bread is drizzled with a sugar glaze.

Bread:
                  1 egg, beaten
                  1/4 cup warm milk
                  3/4 cup warm water
                  1/3 cup white granulated sugar
                  1 teaspoon salt
                  1/4 cup softened butter
                  3 1/2 cups bread flour
                  1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) bread machine or instant yeast

Filling:
                  1/2 cup raisins
                  2 Tablespoons softened butter
                  1/3 cup white granulated sugar
                  1 Tablespoon cinnamon (I used Penzey's Apple Pie Spice)

Topping:
                  1/4 cup confectioners sugar
                  1 1/2 teaspoons milk

Add all the Bread ingredients in order given or as recommened by your bread machine manual.

Select MANUAL DOUGH CYCLE and press START.

In the first few minutes of kneading, adjust the dough, if necessary, so it is smooth and non-sticky by adding
                  flour or water, a tablespoon at a time.

After the MANUAL DOUGH CYCLE completes, remove the dough and mixing paddle from the machine.

Roll the dough out on a bread board into a 9 x 13 inch rectangle.

Distribute the raisins evenly over the entire surface of the rolled out dough. Press them into the dough gently.
                  Spread 2 Tablespoons of softened / melted butter over the entire surface of the rolled out dough.

Mix 1/3 cup of granulated sugar with 1 tablespoon of cinnamon in a measuring cup. Make sure they are mixed well.
                  Sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon mixture evenly over the entire surface of the rolled out dough.

Starting at a 9-inch wide end, roll the dough into a cylinder.
                  Pinch the seam shut along its length of the rolled cylinder and pinch shut the two ends of the cylinder roll of dough.

Replace the rolled dough in the bread machine with the large pinched seam down and the two ends of the roll folded under to fit it in the machine. Make sure bread machine is off. Close bread machine lid and allow the dough to rise until it has reached the top of the bread baking basked (about 1 to 2 hours).

Select MANUAL BAKE CYCLE and press START.
                  When the MANUAL BAKE CYCLE completes, remove the bread from the machine and allow it to cool on a wire rack.

When the bread has cooled, mix the topping ingredients and drizzle over the top of the loaf of Cinnamon Raisin Bread.

Make sure to return the kneading paddle to your bread machine so it won't get lost.

Makes one 1 1/2 lb loaf.

Comment

USDA School Cafeteria Cinnamon Rolls from 1988

Makes 50 Servings: about 50, 2-oz Cinnamon Rolls, on a lightly oiled sheet pan (18" x26" x1").

1/3 cup Active dry yeast (see Special Tips)
                    1 1/2 cups Water, warm (110 degrees F)
                    12 1/4 cups (3 lb 10 oz) All-purpose or bread flour
                    1 1/3 cups (3 1/4 oz) Instant nonfat dry milk
                    3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp (5 3/4 oz) Sugar
                    2 Tbsp Salt
                    3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
                    2 1/2 cups Water (68 degrees F)
                    1/4 cup Cinnamon
                    3/4 cup (5 1/4 oz) Sugar
                    1 Tbsp Vegetable oil
                    2 cups (10 oz) Raisins

For best results, have all ingredients and utensils at room
                    temperature.

1. Dissolve dry yeast in warm water. Let stand for 4-5
                    minutes.

2. Place all dry ingredients (flour, dry milk, sugar, and salt)
                    in mixer bowl. Using a dough hook, blend on low speed for
                    approximately 2 minutes.

3. Add oil and blend on low speed for approximately 2
                    minutes.

4. Add water. Mix on low speed for 1 minute.

5. Add dissolved yeast and mix on low speed for 2 minutes.

6. Knead dough on medium speed for 8 minutes, or until
                    dough is smooth and elastic.

7. Place in warm area (about 90 degrees F) for 45-60
                    minutes.

8. Place dough on lightly floured surface. Divide into balls,
                    3 lb 6 oz each. For 50 servings divide into 2 balls. For 100
                    servings divide into 4 balls.

9. Combine cinnamon and sugar. Mix well. Set aside for
                    step 11.

10. Roll each ball of dough into a rectangle 25" x10", 1/4"
                    thick.

11. Lightly brush each rectangle with oil. Sprinkle
                    approximately 1/2 cup cinnamon-sugar mixture over each
                    rectangle.

12. Sprinkle 1 cup raisins over cinnamon-sugar mixture on
                    each rectangle.

13. Roll each rectangle on the long side to form a long
                    slender roll. Cut each roll into 25 uniform pieces 1" thick.

14. Place on lightly oiled sheet pan (18" x26" x1") in rows
                    of 10 down and 5 across. For 50 servings, use 1 sheet
                    pan. For 100 servings, use 2 sheet pans.

15. Place in a warm area (about 90 degrees F) until double
                    in size, 30-50 minutes.

16. Bake until lightly browned:
                    Conventional Oven: 400 degrees F, 18-20 minutes.
                    Convection Oven: 350 degrees F, 12-14 minutes.

17. Optional: Brush lightly with melted butter or margarine
                    (approximately 1 Tbsp per pan) while warm.

--

Special Tips:
                    To use high-activity (instant) yeast, follow directions below or manufacturer's instructions.

50 servings: Omit step 1. In step 2, add 1/4 cup high-activity (instant) yeast.
                    Continue with step 3. In step 4, add 1 qt water (110 degrees F). Omit step 5. In
                    step 6, knead for 10 minutes. Continue with steps 7-17.

--

Source: USDA Recipes for Schools, from the "1988 Quantity Recipes for School Food Service".

Comment

The Ultimate Cinnamon Roll Formula

Baker's Formula

Rolls:
                      bread flour 7.15 lb - 65%
                      pastry flour 2.75 lb - 25%
                      whole wheat flour 1.10 lb - 10%
                      Flour 11 lb - 100%

Water 6.38 lb - 58%
                      compressed yeast .66 lb - 6%
                      salt .20 lb - 1.8%
                      honey 2.02 lb - 18.3%
                      butter(soft) 1.10 lb - 10%
                      whole eggs .83 lb - 7.5%
                      Total 201.6%

Make a soft well-developed dough from above ingredients.
                      Immediately retard in frige overnight.
                      In the morning fill a spray bottle with bland oil, spray the bench well and roll
                      the dough to a rectangle approximately 52 x 48 inches.

Spread with the gloved hand 2 lb of soft unsalted butter over the dough and
                      sprinkle all of the following filling on the dough.

Filling:
                      butter(soft) 2 lb - 18%
                      Brown sugar 4.38 lb - 39.8%
                      cinnamon .35 lb - 3.2%
                      pastry flour .28 lb - 2.5%

Mix till homogenous in a plastic bag.

Roll the dough up into a fat cylinder and begin to stretch it out.
                      It will be almost eight feet long. Cut 50 portions, pan up 4x6, proof and bake at
                      350 till done. If using a convection or rotary rack oven, bake at 315-325.

Drizzle with thinned fondant if you want. These are huge, but the absolute best you ever had.

Makes 50 large cinnamon rolls

Comment

I used to bake these many moons ago. Delish and different.

Balloon Buns

1 pkg dry yeast
                        1/4 c warm water
                        3/4 c lukewarm milk
                        1/4 c sugar
                        1 tsp salt
                        1 egg, beaten
                        1/4 c butter, melted and cooled to lukewarm
                        3 1/2 c flour (you may need 1/4-1/2 cup more)
                        1 c sugar
                        1 tsp cinnamon
                        18 marshmallows
                        1/2 c butter, melted and cooled

Dissolve yeast in warm water, stir in warm milk, 1/4 cup sugar, salt, egg, 1/4 cup melted butter, and 1 cups of the flour (Reserve remaining flour for next step). Beat until smooth.

Add enough of remaining flour to make a dough that is easy to handle. Knead for about 5 minutes using more flour as needed to make a pliable dough. Place in a greased bowl, cover, let rise in a warm place until double, about 1 hours.

Punch down and divide dough in 2 equal pieces. Roll out to inch think and cut into 3 inch circles. Wrap each circle around a marshmallow and tightly seal at bottom.

Mix cinnamon and 1 cup sugar. Dip bun in melted 1/2 cup butter and then roll in cinnamon sugar. Place in greased muffin cups and let rise about 20 minutes. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm.

Comment

Working...
                        X