Egg rolls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg rolls

I need a good recipe for home made egg rolls please. Thanks in advance.

Re: Egg rolls

Nobody makes homemade egg rolls? Maybe I should rethink this. Lol

Comment

Baked Egg Rolls

Using fresh egg roll wrappers from the supermarket, these homemade baked egg rolls will disappear as soon as they're out of the oven.

1 lb lean ground pork
      3 green onions, chopped
      2 minced cloves of garlic
      1 carrot, grated
      1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
      2 tbsp soy sauce
      1 tbsp cornstarch
      1 tsp sesame oil
      1/2 tsp pepper
      12 large (5 1/2 inch) egg roll wrappers
      1 tsp vegetable oil

In nonstick skillet, cook pork over medium-high heat, breaking up with spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes; drain off fat. Add onions, garlic, carrot and water chestnuts; cook over medium heat until onions are softened, 3 minutes.

In small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, cornstarch, 1 tbsp water, sesame oil and pepper; pour into pan and toss well. Let cool slightly.

Forming 1 roll at a time, place wrapper on work surface; brush with water. Spoon scant 3 tbsp pork mixture on bottom third, leaving 1/2-inch borders on bottom and sides. Pull bottom edge over filling and roll up; pinch ends to seal.

Place, seam side down, on rimmed baking sheet; brush with oil. Bake in 375F oven until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes.

Additional information :

Tip: Fresh egg roll wrappers are available in the produce section of the supermarket.

Serve with: Plum Sauce and Salad

Source : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2004

Comment

Not T&T but looks easy & delicious

Egg Rolls

1 pound ground pork
        1 teaspoon ground ginger
        1 teaspoon garlic powder
        1 quart peanut oil for frying
        2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
        2 tablespoons water
        2 cups shredded cabbage
        2 ounces shredded carrots
        8 (7 inch square) egg roll wrappers
        2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)

Season pork with ginger and garlic powder and mix thoroughly. Heat mixture in a medium skillet, stirring, until pork is cooked through and no longer pink. Set aside.

In another large skillet heat oil to about 375F or medium high heat. While oil is heating, combine flour and water in a bowl until they form a paste. In a separate bowl combine the cabbage, carrots and reserved pork mixture. Mix all together.

Lay out one egg roll skin with a corner pointed toward you. Place about a 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the cabbage, carrot and pork mixture on egg roll paper and fold corner up over the mixture. Fold left and right corners toward the center and continue to roll. Brush a bit of the flour paste on the final corner to help seal the egg roll.

Place egg rolls into heated oil and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels or rack. Put on serving plate and top with sesame seeds if desired.

Comment

Thanks so much Rubelishous they look great. I heard on the news tonight that frozen egg rolls made by Chungs have all types of health issues, dirty machines etc. yuck!

Comment

I posted mine in Tried and True. Not exactly 'easy', but they are sure worth it. Boss is still carrying on about them. lol

Comment

I got my recipe from a Phillipino woman I work with. I've long lost the "recipe" and I just eyeball the ingredientsLumpia/egg rollslumpia wrappers (thinner than egg roll wrappers)1lb ground pork1 lb peeled raw shrimp, ground1 can water chestnuts, dicedcarrots, dicedonions, dicedsoy sauce, or shrimp sauce to taste,S&P, to tastegarlic to tastetbs sugar (don't know why, but she did, so I do! lol)mix it all together, put heaping tbspfulls in lumpia wrappers, roll, fry. I tried putting mushrooms in it before, mainly because I had some I needed to use..... NASTY! One day, I'm going to try it with a little cabbage, or sprouts. But we love them the way they are so much, hate to change! lol

Comment

I make them but i don't use a recipe. I just chop lots of cabbage and other vegetables, cook it down with soy sauce, pepper, garlic, ginger a sprinkle of sugar and a spoonful of peanut butter. The peanut butter adds a nice flavor. I only make them once or twice a year because it is a big project. I usually need between two and three packages of egg roll wrappers.

Comment

I had 2 for breakfast this morning! lol One of the docs I work for, ordered a dozen from the Asian food store, and when she brought them in, she brought in an extra dozen for us to share! These had cabbage, I have to say, I like mine better, even though these were pretty good.

Comment

Nu, where do you buy the lumpia wrappers? Are they fresh or frozen?

Comment

I get them from our local Asian food store. In the freezer. She also makes her own Shrimp Sauce. It rivals the sauces they serve at the hibachi grill places! I actually made my eggrolls last night. had extra lumpia wrapers, cut them in 1/4's. and made some crab rangoon! yummy. I've only uses egg roll wrappers once. and they were almost burnt by the time the innards were done. I guess if you used already cooked pork/shrimp it would be ok.

Comment

Working...
                      X