Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie recipe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie recipe?

I remember when I was a child my G-mother used to make the best pumpkin pies!As good as the Libby's recipe pies are, hers were so much better!I love the spicy flavor of the Libby's recipe,thats the good part.But the texture isn't what i'm looking for!I would like to have a firmer texture & not so frothy/jiggly/custardy.My G-mother's pie was firmer & silkier.i'm thinking that it may have been made w/some flour &/or milk or cream rather than the evaporated milk(Or not so much evap.milk?) & not all of those eggs.It did have an egg or 2 i'm pretty sure,it just didn't have the curdle of more than that.If you have a great tried & true recipe,please share?I would love to have those yummy pies again.

p.s.Fresh pumpkin may have been used in my G-mother's pies,that could have been why the texture was so firm.But I think later in life she used canned pumpkin & her recipe tasted almost the same as w/ the fresh pumpkin.Thanks!

Re: Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie recipe?

I'm not sure our G-mother even had canned pumpkin. I'm sure cooking the pumpkins and then smashing, or whatever they did, changed the texture a bit. the older recipes call for plain milk, and again, the milk was different back then too.

You can do a search for retro, or vintage, pumpkin pie recipes and see if anything clicks

Maybe something like this?

http://happymoneysaver.com/vintage-pumpkin-pie-recipe/

or this?

http://pzrservices.typepad.com/vintagerecipes/2014/10/pumpkin-chiffon-honeypie.html
    Last edited by AllieK; 11-22-2014, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I use an old recipe from Better Homes cook book that I got
      50 years ago. I also use Lake Shore Pumpkin. It does call for milk
      and evaporated milk. I buy the large can and double the recipe
      and bake it in a 9X13 pan.

Comment

My mom made pumpkin pie using pepper squash - she said it tasted more like pumpkin than pumpkin did. They are all from the squash family to I guess are interchangeable

Comment

Working...
        X