Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alidoremi
    replied
    Wonderful! Thanks a bunch! Now I don't have to try and translate my German cookbook.

Leave a comment:

• gimmerecipes
    replied
    Thanks for posting them!

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    WOW! Now that you have typed those all out, will you come over & bake one up for us?

TY

Leave a comment:

• luv2bake
    replied
    Wow, WisSue, did you have to type all of that? Thanks, and they do sound impressive and delicious!

Leave a comment:

• WisSue
    replied
    I hope you guys are happy...

Obviously, these are recipes for somebody who really wants to spend some playtime in the kitchen! The results are worth it, though, especially if you have an event and want a really impressive dessert. I hope you enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• WisSue
    replied
    Torte with chocolate cake layers

Black Forest Cherry Torte
    adapted from "Maida Heatter's Book of Great Chocolate Desserts"

2 1/2 ounces by weight (about 1/2 cup) almonds, blanched or unblanched
    1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch process)
    9 eggs (graded large)
    1 Tablespoon water
    1 cup granulated sugar
    3/4 cup fine, dry bread crumbs
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Adjust rack one-third up from bottom of the oven and preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 10x3-inch round cake pan or springform pan, dust all over with fine, dry bread crumbs (these are in addition to those called for in the ingredients), invert over paper and tap lightly to shake out excess, and set the prepared pan aside. (I use 3 9-inch round cake pans; greased, lined with baking parchment, greased and dusted with the dry bread crumbs.)

The almonds must be finely ground; this may be done in a food processor, a blender, or a nut grinder. Set the ground almonds aside.

Sift together the flour and cocoa and set aside.

Separate 8 of the eggs. Place the yolks, the 1 remaining whole egg, and the Tablespoon of water in the small bowl of an electric mixer. Beat at high speed for 4 or 5 minutes until pale lemon-colored. Reduce the speed and gradually add 3/4 cup (reserve 1/4 cup) of the sugar. Increase the speed to high again and beat for a few minutes until the mixture forms a wide ribbon when the beaters are raised (it will be a pale creamy color).

On lowest speed add the ground almonds and the bread crumbs, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula and beating only until incorporated. During the mixing, if the mixture fills the bowl too much and it looks as though it might run over, transfer it to the large bowl of the mixer. (Or just use a larger bowl to begin with). Now, in order to avoid spattering, use the rubber spatula to fold in the sifted dry ingredients a bit, then beat briefly at lowest speed only until everything is incorporated. Remove from the mixer.

Place the 8 egg whites and the salt in the large bowl of the electric mixer. (If you do not have two large bowls for your electric mixer, transfer the egg yolk mixture to any other bowl. You will need a large one for beating the egg whites.) With clean beaters beat at high speed until the whites barely hold a soft shape. Reduce the speed to moderate and gradually add the reserved 1/4 cup of sugar. Then increase the speed again and beat until the whites hold a firm shape but are not stiff or dry.

Add two or three large spoonfuls of the whites to the chocolate mixture and stir to lighten the chocolate a bit. Fold in two or three more spoonfuls. Then add all of the chocolate to the whites and fold only until blended.

Turn the mixture into the prepared pan and briskly rotate the pan a bit first one way, then another, to level the top.

Bake for 45 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly pressed with a fingertip. (If you have used the 3 9-inch layer pans, bake at 350F for about 15 minutes or until top springs back.)

Immediately cut around the sides with a firm, sharp knife to release the cake. Cover with a rack and invert, remove the pan, cover with another rack and invert again, leaving the cake right side up to cool.

If possible, chill the cake in the freezer for about an hour to make it easier to slice into two layers. (If you have used the 3 layer pans, you will not need to halve the layers).

CHERRY FILLING This may be made several days ahead if you wish.

2 1-pound cans red sour pitted cherries (water packed)
    3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons liquid drained from the cherries
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2 Tablespoons cornstarch
    Few drops red food coloring
    1/4 teaspoon almond extract
    Optional: additional kirsch (to be used when assembling the cake)

Drain the cherries (you will have about 3 1/2 cups of cherries), setting aside 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons of the liquid -- you will not need the remaining liquid.

Spread out the cherries on several thicknesses of paper towels to drain thoroughly.

In a small saucepan stir the sugar and cornstarch to mix thoroughly. Gradually add 3/4 cup of the liquid, reserving the remaining 2 Tablespoons. Stir constantly to keep the mixture smooth.

Place over moderate heat and stir gently with a rubber spatula until the mixture comes to a low boil. Reduce the heat slightly and barely simmer, stirring gently, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and gently stir in the food coloring and the almond extract.

Pour into a bowl, add the drained cherries, and stir, Let cool, then cover and refrigerate. (When I make this using the 3 layer pans, I make 1 1/2 times the cherry filling recipe.)

KIRSCH SYRUP This may be made ahead of time if you wish.

2 Tablespoons liquid reserved from the drained cherries above (or water)
    2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
    1/3 cup kirsch

Place the cherry liquid and the sugar in a small saucepan. Stir over moderate heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Let boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, stir in the kirsch, and let stand to cool.

WHIPPED CREAM

4 cups heavy cream
    1/2 cup confectioners sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/3 cup kirsch

Before whipping the cream, chill the large bowl and the beaters of the electric mixer.

Place all the ingredients in the chilled bowl and beat until the cream is firm enough to use as filling and icing -- it must hold a definite shape (watch it very carefully toward the end so you don't end up making butter.)

ASSEMBLY

To assemble the cake: Prepare a large, flat cake plate by lining the sides with four strips of aluminum foil. (For this recipe it is better to use foil than wax paper because the kirsch syrup and the whipped cream might wet the paper and wet wax paper could tear.)

Cut the cake layer horizontally to make two layers. (Again, if you used 3 9-inch layer pans, you obviously don't need to do this.)

Place the bottom layer cut side up on the cake plate, checking to be sure that the aluminum foil strips touch the cake all around. Brush the bottom layer with half of the kirsch syrup. If the cherry filling has stiffened too much, stir in very little (1 to 2 teaspoons) of the additional kirsch. Place all of the cherry filling on the cake, moving the cherries around to make an even layer -- and keeping the cherries about 1/2 inch away from the edges. Spread some of the whipped cream about 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick over the cherries. Cover with the second layer of cake, placing it cut side down. Brush the top with the remaining kirsch syrup.

If you have made the 3 layers, divide the kirsch syrup evenly between the layers. Divide the cherries evenly between the bottom and the middle layer. (Remember, you made 1 1/2 times the amount of cherries, so you will have enough.) Put about 1 cup of the whipped cream on each of the bottom and middle layers on top of the cherries.

Cover the top and sides of the cake with the remaining whipped cream. Or reserve about 2 cups of the cream for decorating. Spread the cream smoothly. If you have used all of the cream and are not going to decorate the cake, the cream may be smoothed or it may be shaped into swirls with the back of a spoon or with a rubber spatula.

If you have reserved some cream for decorating, fit a pastry bag with a large star-shaped tube. Form rosettes around the edges of the cake and garnish with shaved chocolate and maraschino cherries as desired.

Remove the foil strips from around the cake.

Refrigerate for the better part of a day. It gets better if it has a little time to mellow.

Leave a comment:

• WisSue
    replied
    Torte with yellow cake layers

Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte (Black Forest Cherry Torte)
    adapted from "The Art of German Cooking" by Betty Wason

TORTE
    2 cups cake flour
    2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
    6 eggs
    2 cups granulated sugar
    4 teaspoons lemon juice
    3/4 cup hot milk

Sift flour and baking powder together 3 times. Beat eggs until light and thickened (about 10 minutes). Gradually add sugar to eggs, beating constantly. Add lemon juice. Fold in flour a little at a time. Add the hot milk, mixing quickly until batter is smooth. Lightly grease and flour 3 9-inch round cake pans, preferably pans with removable bottoms. (I use regular cake pans, greased, and lined with baking parchment, then greased and floured.) Divide the batter evenly between the 3 pans. Preheat oven to 350F; bake cake layers for 25 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Remove from oven and invert pans until cake is cool. (If using the regular pans lined with parchment, cool right side up in pan for 15 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack and remove pan and parchment to finish cooling.) Remove from pans and slice each layer crosswise into 2 layers, making 6 layers.

CHERRY FILLING

1 1-pound 4-ounce can tart red cherries in heavy syrup (if you can't find this size can, buy 2 smaller cans and use equivalent amount)
    2 Tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
    8 to 10 drops red food coloring

Combine in saucepan, cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until smooth, thick and clear. Remove from heat; cool.

CHOCOLATE FILLING

1 bar German sweet chocolate
    1 cup heavy cream, whipped

Melt chocolate over hot water; cool to room temperature. Fold into the whipped cream. Chill 15 to 20 minutes.

KIRSCHCREME (Kirsch-flavored whipped cream)

Pinch of salt
    2 cups heavy cream, whipped
    3 Tablespoons Kirschwasser

Add salt to cream as you beat it. When cream stands in peaks, fold in the Kirschwasser.

Place one cake layer on a large round cake plate. Spread with half the chocolate filling. Add the second cake layer; spread with a scant cup of the whipped cream. Add the third layer; spread with remaining chocolate filling. Add the fourth layer; spread this with another scant cup of whipped cream. Over the fifth layer spread the cherry filling. Top with sixth layer. (I sometimes divide the cherry filling and put it between different layers. You can adjust the layering to your taste.) Spread remaining whipped cream over top and sides. Garnish with maraschino cherries and shaved curls of German sweet chocolate. Refrigerate at least an hour before serving.

Leave a comment:

• gimmerecipes
    replied
    I'd love to have authentic recipes as well, the recipe I've been using for well over 10 years calls for pie filling and I love that one, but would like to try an authentic version.

Leave a comment:

• alidoremi
    replied
    Being German myself (but raised in the US) I've had different versions of it whenever I travel to Europe, but they're ALL great. Any and all recipes would be appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• luv2bake
    replied
    Me, too, I'd like to have them!

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    WisSue, post them all, if you don't mind.

Leave a comment:

• WisSue
    replied
    I am of German/Austrian heritage and have several different recipes for Black Forest Cake. Do you want one where the cake layers are chocolate, or one where the cake is yellow with both chocolate and cherry fillings in between the layers? I have both kinds of recipes, and both are considered traditional. I never met a Black Forest Cake that I didn't like!

Leave a comment:

• alidoremi
    started a topic ISO: Black Forest Cherry Cake

ISO: Black Forest Cherry Cake

Looking for an authentic German recipe with real kirsch, real whipped cream, and NO pie filling.
Working...
X