Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beans Fried Artichokes 3 recipes

Bean Posted May 20, 2006 01:12 PM
    I think I'd add a spicy seasoning like cajun to the mix (first 2 rec's)! Serve them up with a spicy dipping sauce - like the one I posted in T&T under crockpot artichokes.

"Deep-fried artichoke hearts. Best when served with grated parmesan cheese. Makes a great finger-food appetizer."

Original recipe yield: 24 servings
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup milk
    1 (15 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
    1 1/2 cups seasoned dry bread crumbs
    2 cups oil for frying, or as needed
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese for topping

Heat oil in a deep-fryer or heavy deep skillet to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Place seasoned bread crumbs in a separate bowl. Dip artichoke hearts in the egg mixture, then roll in bread crumbs until they are fully covered.
    Deep-fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until deep golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain excess oil. When all the pieces have been fried, place on a serving tray and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

# 2 Fried Artichoke Hearts

2 cups vegetable oil
    5 artichoke hearts
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    White pepper

For Fried Artichoke Hearts: Place oil in a deep saucepan. Heat to 350 degrees F.

Cut the artichoke hearts into quarters. Dust artichoke hearts in your all-purpose flour. Place artichoke heart into your preheated oil and fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.

To assemble, place a artichoke heart on top of a piece of prosciutto, garnish with a couple pieces of caramelized onion, and serve. See Cook's Note.

Cook's Note: These can be made ahead of time and just warmed right before serving.

#3 Fried Artichoke Hearts

6 ea. Whole Artichoke Heart (canned)
    1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
    2 ea. Medium Whole Egg
    1 cup Panco (Japanese bread crumbs)
    4 tsp. Lemon Pepper Seasoning
    1 tbsp. Oregano (dry herb)
    Pinch of salt

Feta cheese (optional)
    Fresh rosemary (optional)
    Salad dressing for dipping (optional)

Directions

In bowl #1, add flour. Hold
    In bowl #2, add eggs and beat. Hold
    In bowl #3, combine Japanese panco breadcrumbs, lemon pepper seasoning, oregano and salt. Sift to blend. Hold
    Drain liquid from canned artichoke hearts and pat dry with a paper towel.
    Dredge artichoke hearts in bowl #1 flour mixture (shake off excess flour); then dip in bowl #2 beaten eggs; and lastly in bowl #3 of bread crumbs. Hold
    Add canola oil, 2 inches deep, in a large heavy pan on medium heat. (Heat to 350 degrees.)
    Lay coated artichoke hearts into pan and deep fry for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
    Remove artichoke hearts and lay on paper towel to drain excess oil before serving.
    Garnish the fried artichoke hearts by sprinkling them with crumbled feta cheese and a fresh sprig of rosemary. Any store brand salad dressing can be used for a dipping sauce.
    Chef's Notes

Artichoke hearts originally cultivated in Sicily were brought to France in the 16th Century where it improved in flavor, size and availability by advanced scientific cultivating methods.

Artichoke hearts are now cultivated through out the world but some experts say the best artichoke hearts are grown right here in California’s mid-coastal regions. Artichokes are grown throughout the year in California. European artichoke season runs from June to September. There are 3 types of artichokes: the Jerusalem artichoke, Chinese artichoke and Globe artichoke. Experts say the true artichoke is the Globe artichoke, which is mainly cultivated in California.

In the 17th Century, the artichoke acquired a reputation for being an aphrodisiac. I feel that the artichoke is a health-giving food and it can be prepared into numerous delicious dishes. One of my favorite artichoke dishes is the “Fried Artichoke Heart” recipe printed here, served with a creamy garlic Parmesan dip. I prefer to serve it as a side dish to a Mediterranean-style entrée to enhance the meal presentation, but it is also great served as a hors d’oeuvre.
Working...
X