• Show
Clear All

• VernaLisas Spicy Banana Dip

VernaAlisa Posted April 13, 2006 12:47 PM
    Spicy Banana Dip

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 yellow onion, diced
    1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
    2 teaspoons grated or minced fresh ginger root (about 1 inch of root)
    2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
    1 whole serrano chile, grated or minced
    2 bananas, mashed with a fork
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    4 tablespoons water
    3 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Heat vegetable oil in a small pot. Add onion and salt and cook over medium heat until golden brown. Add grated ginger, garlic, and serrano chili and cook a minute or two to release the aromas. Add banana, vinegar, and water and simmer briefly. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Stir in chopped cilantro and serve with any great chips corn, plantain, taro, or sweet potato.

Vernalisa- I've saved this to try sometime ever since you posted it. I thought it would be something very different. I finished making it awhile ago. I definitely thought it was missing something, so I added honey and I think it made all the difference! I also think it could use more than 2 bananas. I'm going to let the flavors meld overnight and maybe add some more mashed bananas tomorrow. I bought some sweet potato chips to use as dippers. We'll see what people think of it at the Father's Day BBQ.

Comment

DH just tried and and said he thought it was good. It has a tropical Carribean type flavor and he thinks it would be a good sauce for jerk chicken or pork chops. I totally agree.

Comment

Working...
      X