Peacheezy Pie by Spudhip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peacheezy Pie by Spudhip

I have not tried this yet but it sure sounded good. Since there is not a place to post Recipes to try I thought this was the best place. If anyone tries this, please let us know how it turned out. Smile

Peacheezy Pie from July 2004 GRIT Newspaper

CRUST:
    2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup shortening
    6 to 7 Tablespoons peach syrup
    2 tablespoons butter

Heat oven to 425F.
    In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until the size of peas. Sprinkle peach syrup over mixture while stirring with fork until dough holds together. Roll out half of dough on floured surface to a circle 1 1/2 inches larger than inverted 9-inch pie pan. fit into pan; Flute edge. Set aside.

NOTE: If using self-rising flour, omit salt.

PEACHES 'N CHEESECAKE FILLING

1 can (1 lb. 13 oz.) cling peach slices
    1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
    2 Tablespoons cornstarch
    2 Tablespoons corn syrup
    2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 eggs, slightly beaten
    1 Tablespoon lemon juice
    1 package (3 oz.) cream cheese
    1/2 cup sour cream

For peach mixture: Drain peaches; reserve syrup. In a bowl, combine peach slices, 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, corn syrup, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla.

For cheesecake topping: In a small saucepan, combine eggs, 1/3 cup sugar, lemon juice and 2 Tablespoons peach syrup. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick. In a large bowl, soften cream cheese. Blend in sour cream. Add hot mixture; beat until smooth.

Fill prepared pie crust with peach mixture. Dot with butter. Cover with cheesecake topping.

Roll out remaining dough. Cut into circles. Brush with peach syrup. Arrange on topping. Bake for 10 minutes. Cover edge with foil then bake at 350F. for 30 to 35 minutes, or until crust is deep golden brown.

**UPDATE** Well, I made this pie this weekend. DH always rates new recipes on a scale from 1 to 10 and we both gave it an "8" at first and then we bumped it up to a "9" later and I'll tell you why in a minute.

First, in the instruction where it tells you to cook the egg/sugar mixture until thick. Their meaning of thick is like a curd or custard thickness which happens right as it starts to boil. at this point take it off the heat. If you leave it on the heat much longer you will get scrambles eggs. Frown These are words of experience. Frown But I got it right the second time. Wink

O.K. now the reason for the bump in the scale rating. I made the pie Sat. morning and we ate it Sat. night after it had cooled to room temp. It was very good but the cheesy topping was still soft and the pie just spread out on the plate whey I cut it. Everything just kind of mixed up together. But it was still very good. Well because of the cream cheese and sour cream topping I put it in the refrigerator so it wouldn't spoil. Sunday, we had another piece and it was like eating a whole different pie. The cream cheese topping had set up and was solid and had a taste just like cheese cake and you could taste the difference between that and the peach part. It is definitely better the next day after it has been refrigerated. So because of this reason We both bumped our rating up to a "9"

So if anyone is thinking about making this, making it the day before and refrigerating it would be my suggestion. You get a much better tasting and looking pie.
Working...
X