Clear All

• Caramel Coconut Pecan Shortbread

Caramel Coconut Pecan Shortbread====http://vanillakitchen.blogspot.com/

2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1 c sugar
    1 3/4 c flour
    1/2 tsp salt, plus 1/2 tsp
    ¼ c toasted pecans, optional
    20 oz soft caramel candies (or make your own caramel sauce)
    5 T heavy cream
    2 c shredded coconut, toasted
    1 c milk chocolate chips, melted

Preheat the oven to 350°. Using a mixer, beat the butter and sugar on high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt, then add to the butter mixture. Mix on low speed just until the dough comes together.
    Press evenly into an 8 x 8 non-stick baking dish.
    Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the dough (do not press into the dough).
    Bake until lightly golden, about 30 – 40 minutes, depending on your oven (mine took 35 mins). The shortbread might still be a little soft. It will harden when it cools down. Ideally, these should be a very light golden brown (you do not want brown edges).

In a medium saucepan, melt the caramels with the cream and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt over medium heat. Stir in the coconut, then spread over the shortbread. Let this cool before adding the chocolate. (You may put it in the fridge to cool).

I put the melted chocolate into a plastic bag, closed it up then snipped off a small tip at the corner and drizzled the chocolate on that way.

Let cool completely before slicing. Use a sharp knife that is warmed up (run under hot water) to ease slicing.

Note: If you don’t have a non-stick pan, then line your pan with foil (plus the edges) as you will need help removing this from the pan; caramel makes it stick. I found that removing this from the pan then slicing it on a cutting board was much easier than cutting it in the pan.
Working...
X