Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocolate Malt Pudding

Chocolate Malt Pudding

Remember those chocolate malts that we used to enjoy at the corner drug store? This old-fashioned pudding will remind you of those days. It is much, much better than those box pudding mixes from the store.

Chocolate Malt Pudding

2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/3 cup malted milk powder (we use Carnation brand usually found in the hot drink section of the grocery store)
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 1/2 cups milk
    1 large egg
    2 large egg yolks
    3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

1. Combine the cornstarch, malted milk powder, half of the sugar with 1/2 cup of the milk. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the egg and egg yolks and whisk until smooth.
    2. In a heavy saucepan, cook the remaining 2 cups of milk and the remaining sugar until it boils for several minutes.
    3. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the hot milk while whisking the mixture to keep it smooth. Cook until bubbles rise through the liquid but not to a boil. Remove from the heat.
    4. Melt the chocolate chips and the butter in the microwave. Stir the melted chocolate into the hot pudding.
    5. Pour the pudding into serving dishes or a casserole dish. Cover the pudding surface with waxed paper placed directly on the pudding. Let cool for one hour and then place in the refrigerator to
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Chocolate Malt Pudding

Nu you found my weakness (actually one of many). I love chocolate malteds. If only this were a sugar-free recipe.

Comment

Try it with splenda, bet it would be just as good! I made the peach cobbler bread with splenda, couldn't tell. I've also made pudding with it and it was good. Use semi-sweet choc chips and cut down the sugar that way also.

Comment

I'm sure there is sugar in the malt powder but you don't really use too much of it. I've actually found chocolate pieces that is sugar free - sweetened with something chemical (better living through chemicals).

I may have to try this if I can find any malt powder. I've never seen it here in Canada.

Comment

Let me know if you need some malt powder and I'll send you some, I'll look to see if it's sugared or not. At our stores it's with the Nestle's Quik and other chocolate drink mixes. THey have a cholate malt mix you can add to your milk! OMG!!!!! Soo good!

I was at Wal-Mart today getting some Cinnamon Chips (which they didn't have) and I noticed Hershey's (I think) has bags of sugar-free chocolate chips. Let me know, and I'll send you some of each as a Merry Christmas!!

Comment

Working...
          X