Post Your Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes Here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Your Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes Here

Got a favorite recipe that your family just cannot do without at Thanksgiving time? Post your Tried and True family favorites here. Traditional and Unique recipes are welcome

Don't forget your sandwich spread if you are having ham sandwiches. This is EXCELLENT ~ Fatkat

CRANBERRY CREAM CHEESE SPREAD

1/2 cup tub-style cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup whole berry cranberry sauce

Combine cream cheese and cranberry sauce, stir well. Spread heaping teaspoonfuls on bread or buns. Top with ham slices.

**Optional: Use cinnamon bread instead of rolls

Comment

Oyster Dressing by peabodyqp

Peabodyqp
      Posted November 24, 2004 07:26 PM

I posted this last year around this time, but I thought I would post it again. This is my father's recipe and its always made at Thanksgiving and Christmas. If he can't be here with my siblings and I and our families, then I make it. I hope you guys enjoy this recipe.

Oyster Dressing

1-2 cans chicken broth (14 1/2 oz cans)
      2 bags Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Dressing Mix
      2 pints oysters, cut up, Save broth
      1 1/2 cup each, chopped onion and celery (You can add more or less onion and celery depending upon your preference)
      1/4 cup margarine
      water, if needed
      salt & pepper to taste

Sauté onions and celery in margarine until lightly golden. In large mixing bowl, using a large spoon, stir dressing mix and onions and celery. Then add oysters and oyster broth and stir. Then add chicken broth. Add water if needed, while stirring to make doughy consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.

NOTE: It should not be a dry mix but definitely more on the wet side.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Then bake for approximately 15 more minutes with foil off or until top is brown. Yield: 8-10 servings at least.

Comment

Hungarian Potatoes by Katerina

Katerina
        Posted October 13, 2004 07:30 PM

These are a thanksgiving tradition in my family. My mom and aunt make them every year. Its just not the same without them.

HUNGARIAN POTATOES

Skin and boil 8 medium round white potatoes, cool. Be careful not to over boil them, because you don't want them to fall apart when you try to slice them (it will make this mushy) - you want nice round slices.

Beat together to form "sauce":
        2 cubes melted butter (1 cup total)
        1 pint sour cream (2 cups)
        2 t Lawry’s seasoned salt

Slice potatoes when cooled. Layer in a 2.5 quart baking dish (like a round Corningware dish): potatoes, sauce, potatoes, sauce, etc. Bake uncovered 325 degrees for 25-35 min.

***to clear up any confusion in the instructions, the word "sauce" is referring to the sour cream, butter and seasoned salt mixture***

Comment

It wouldn't be Thanksgiving (or Christmas or Easter) without these!

Cottage Potatoes

4 to 6 lg. potatoes, peeled, cooked
          4 oz. sour cream
          6 oz. cottage cheese
          4 T. butter (I use a stick)
          Salt & pepper to taste

Beat well & pour in a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle paprika over the top & put a few pads of butter here & there. Bake at 350º for about 30 to 40 minutes. They “puff” up as they bake.
          Can be made a day ahead & kept in the fridge until bake time.

Comment

French Coconut Pecan Pie by Buckwheat

Buckwheat
            Posted November 08, 2005 08:45 PM

This is toooo decadent!

French Coconut Pecan Pie by Buckwheat

2 &1/4 cups sugar
            2 T flour
            6 large fresh eggs
            1 cup buttermilk (room temp)
            8 T. butter, melted (one stick)
            1 cup flaked coconut
            1 cup pecans, chopped (toasted)
            2 unbaked, 8 inch pastry shells

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a medium bowl, combine sugar and flour. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs.
            Whisk the flour mixture into the eggs until smooth. Stir in the buttermilk, butter, coconut and pecans. Pour into unbaked pie crusts. Bake until center is set, about 45-50 minutes. (I bake mine a bit longer because I like it more set)

NOTE: These will not last long. You better make 2-3 if you make this recipe for Thanksgiving.

Comment

Chive-Oil Mashed Potatoes by Vernalisa

Vernalisa
              Posted November 15, 2005 10:24 AM

Chive-Oil Mashed Potatoes

For Chive Oil
              1 cup chopped fresh chives
              3/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
              1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
              1/4 tsp salt

For Mashed Potatoes
              5 lb Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
              1 1/2 cups milk
              1 stick unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon pieces
              1 1/4 tsp salt
              3/4 tsp pepper

For oil:
              Purée chives and parsley with oil and salt in a blender until smooth. Pour herb oil through a fine-mesh sieve into a glass measure, pressing on and discarding solids.

For potatoes:
              Cover potatoes with salted cold water by 1 inch in a large pot, then simmer, uncovered, until very tender, about 25 minutes.

While potatoes are simmering, bring milk, butter, salt, and pepper just to a simmer, until butter is melted.

Drain potatoes and return to pot. Add hot milk mixture, a little at a time, and mash with a potato masher until almost smooth. Then stir in 4 tablespoons herb oil (more or less, if desired).

Serves 8-10

Note: I serve these for Thanksgiving every year. Warning - They turn out green. They seem a little more exciting than your standard mashed potatoes and the taste is great if you like a more onion-flavored mashed potato.

Comment

Pumpkin Pie Squares by Coll'sCookin'

Coll'sCookin'
                Posted November 15, 2005 02:58 PM

This recipe is served at my Kidz schools annual Thanksgiving Feast. It Rocks! I am going to make it this years along with my pumpkin pies. Enjoy!

Pumpkin Pie Squares

1 box yellow cake mix
                1 1/2 sticks butter
                3 eggs
                1 15 oz. can pumkin (not pie filling)
                1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
                1/2 tsp. nutmeg
                1/2 C milk
                1/4 C granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350°

For Crust:
                Spray pan 9 x 13 pan with nonstick spray.
                Use 3/4 of the box of cake mix, (reserving 1/4 of the box for topping), add 1 stick melted butter, 1 beaten egg. Mix thoroughly. Press evenly into a 9 x 13 pan.

For Filling:
                Mix 1 can pumpkin, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, 2 beaten eggs and 1/2 C milk. Mix together and pour over crust.

For Topping:
                Melt 1/2 stick (4T) of butter, Add to reserved 1/4 box of cake mix, 1/4 C sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon. Mix thoroughly with fork. Sprinkle over pie filling.

Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Do not overbake as the cake mixture will burn quickly. Cool completely.

Note: Do not cover until completely cool or it will become soggy.

Comment

Pumpkin White Chocolate Cheesecake by TasteeNTampa

TasteeNTampa
                  Posted November 23, 2005 04:50 AM

I had the chance to make these this past weekend for a Thanksgiving Party and all I can say is WOW! these are the best and not to mention the first to go!! Thanks so much what a wonderful idea it's a must try for Thanksgiving!!

Pumpkin White Chocolate Cheesecake
                  Recipe by Christopher Lampo of Christopher’s World Grille

Base Mix:
                  1½ lbs Cream Cheese, softened
                  1 lb White Chocolate, melted
                  4 ea Eggs
                  ¼ cup Sugar

Pumpkin Mix:
                  ¼ cup Maple Syrup
                  ¼ cup Brandy
                  1½ tsp Ginger
                  1½ tsp Cinnamon
                  1½ tsp Nutmeg
                  1 cup Pumpkin

Topping:
                  2 cups Sour Cream
                  2 Tbls Sugar
                  1 Tbls Amaretto

Graham Cracker Crust:
                  2 cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
                  ½ cup Brown Sugar
                  1 cup Butter, Melted

Need: Works best with a 10" diameter , 2.5" tall cake pan with removable bottom. Kesco restaurant supply sells them.

Base Mix: In mixer, mix cream cheese, white chocolate, eggs and sugar until creamy and sugar is dissolved.

Pumpkin Mix: In a bowl, mix maple syrup, brandy, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin. Remove about 3 tablespoons for garnish and hold. Add remaining pumpkin mix to your base mix in mixer. Mix well and pour into baked graham cracker crusted cheesecake pan. Bake cheesecake without topping or garnish at 300 degrees for about 45 minutes.

Mix topping, remove about ¼ cup and reserve for Garnish Mix. Hold the remainder of the white topping for after the cheesecake is cooked.

Garnish Mix: Mix the pumpkin mix that you reserved with the topping mix that you reserved and pour into pastry bag. Hold this for garnish until cheesecake is baked.

Remove cheesecake from oven. Pour on topping. Take garnish mixture which consisted of 3 tablespoons of your pumpkin mix and ¼ cup of your topping mix and put into a pastry bag or gun. Make expanding circles on top of topping. Take a knife and make lines going from outside the cheesecake to the inner circle of the cheesecake (as seen on video). Make as many of these lines as you want.

Place back in oven for about 10 minutes until topping is set.

Comment

Apple and Pecan Spoonbread by Ladysundance

Ladysundance
                    Posted November 19, 2005 11:01 AM

I hate cornbread, but when I seen this on FoodNetWork, I had to try it! We all loved it!

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2000
                    Show: Emeril Live
                    Episode: Emeril's Thanksgiving Feast

Apple and Pecan Spoonbread

1/2 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons butter
                    1 cup finely chopped onions
                    1/2 cup chopped celery
                    Salt
                    Freshly ground black pepper
                    1 cup chopped pecan pieces
                    2 cups diced cooking apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled
                    4 large eggs, separated
                    3 cups heavy cream
                    1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
                    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
                    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart rectangle glass dish (8 by 11 1/2 by 2 inches) with 1 teaspoon of the butter.
                    In a large saute pan, over medium heat, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onions and celery. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until the vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes. Add the pecans and continue to saute for 1 minute. Add the apples. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to saute for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool completely.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and cream together. Add the cornmeal and whisk until smooth.

Stir the apple mixture and cheese into the cornmeal mixture. Mix until incorporated.

In another large mixing bowl, whip the egg whites with an electric mixer until very stiff and peaks form, then fold into the apple batter.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until it sets, about 45 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Spoon onto serving plates and garnish with parsley.

Comment

Mona's Grandma's Stuffing by lucysmamamia

lucysmamamia
                      Posted November 05, 2004 12:47 PM

Here is my favorite Thanksgiving recipe. The key ingredient may sound a little weird, but it's truly delicious. It's especially good for those (like me) who don't care for sage. My grandmother was the best cook I've ever known, and she never owned a single recipe. I wish I had her instinct for cooking from scratch without fear!

MONA'S GRANDMA'S STUFFING

1 large box saltine crackers, crumbled in large bowl
                      1 stick butter
                      1 large onion, chopped
                      2 stalks celery, chopped
                      3 large or 4 medium eggs
                      milk
                      salt
                      pepper

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In small skillet melt butter and sauté onion and celery until transparent. Add vegetable/butter mixture and eggs to crackers and mix well. Add enough milk to make a wet, fluffy mixture. Salt and pepper to taste. Spray a 13x9 baking dish with Pam. Pour stuffing into pan. Cover with foil and bake 3/4 to one hour. Check after 30 minutes and if a crispier crust is desired, remove foil for the duration of baking time. Serves 10-12.

Comment

The Apple and Pecan Spoon Bread looks delicious! I'm going to try that before Thanksgiving!

I'm always interested in Cornbread dressing. I've tried it several times and I'm thinkin' I just need to be invited to some good ole Southern girl's house to eat it cause it's NEVER worked for me!!
                        "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Apple Pie Punch by MyCat

MyCat
                          Posted November 10, 2004 01:47 PM

Apple Pie Punch
                          by Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade

2 cups apple juice or cider
                          4 ounces spiced rum
                          2 ounces cinnamon Schnapps
                          1 red apple, sliced

Combine apple juice, rum, and Schnapps in punch bowl or pitcher. Serve over ice and garnish with apple slice. Tried this out today and it is WESOME!!

Serving this for Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve!

Comment

Turkey Gravy by scottsgravy

scottsgravy
                            Posted February 28, 2005 08:22 PM

Here's my turkey gravy recipe that everyone always asks for at Thanksgiving. Of course, it can be modified for chicken gravy as well.

Overview: After cooking your turkey you pour the juices from the bottom of the pan into a frying pan. Then put medium heat on it and add flour, spices and milk in just the right way.

Time: 25 minutes.

You need:

-The juices from a cooked turkey.
                            -Flour - regular white flour. Or try whole wheat, oat, kamut, and others.
                            -Onion - any kind you like.
                            -Spices - curry powder, secret seasoning mix (oregano, basil, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper). Or experiment. Have fun!
                            -Secret ingredient (soy sauce, don't tell anybody).
                            -Milk - low fat milk. Or use whole milk, goat milk, soy milk, rice milk.

When your turkey is done cooking...

-Pour the nice juices into a large frying pan. I use a 12" nonstick pan that's 4" high. You can also use a medium sized soup pot.
                            -Throw in 1/2-3/4 of an onion, finely chopped.
                            -Heat it up on medium and let it cook for five or ten minutes (depending on your heat) until the onion is browned.

Get it ready for the milk...

-Now you put some flour in there, about four heaping tablespoons. The exact amount depends on how much juice you got from your bird.

-You want enough flour to soak up the oil in the pan. You are aiming for a pancake batter consistency.

-Stir it up for awhile until its all mixed.
                            -Cook it for a few minutes.

-Throw in some spices. I use about 1/3 tsp. of my own curry powder and 1/2 tsp. of my secret seasonings mix.

-Stir constantly for 30 seconds while the spices cook.

Pour the milk very slowly...

-You have to be careful because if you pour the milk too fast you'll make dumplings.

-Your heat is still on medium. You can turn it up hotter if you want, for now.

-Pour a little milk (maybe 1/8 cup) in the pan and stir it in all the way. Then pour a little more, etc., until your gravy is a little thinner than you want it.

-Drop a little soy sauce in there- about a tablespoon.

-Cook it for ten minutes, stirring almost constantly. You have to cook it for awhile to cook the flour. Otherwise the flour won't thicken it up as efficiently and it will taste grainy.

You're done!

Comment

Perfect Roast Turkey by Tom of Maryland

Tom of Maryland
                              Posted November 06, 2005 04:39 AM

* Exported from MasterCook *

Thanksgiving Week / Perfect Roast Turkey /w Make Ahead Stock

Recipe By :Source: Thanksgiving 101 via LIFE-11 via WXIA-TV, Atlanta 11/11/98
                              Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
                              Categories : A Thanksgiving Recipe Turkey

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
                              -------- ------------ --------------------------------
                              For Homemade Turkey Stock:
                              3 pounds turkey wings -- cut in 2" pieces
                              1 each turkey neck -- cut in 2" pieces'; also add in the giblets (whole) reserve the liver or discard.
                              2 tablespoons vegetable oil
                              1 medium sweet onion -- chopped
                              1 medium carrot -- chopped
                              1 stalk celery -- with leaves, chopped
                              6 sprigs fresh parsley
                              1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
                              1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns -- more if desired
                              1 large bay leaf
                              For the Perfect Turkey:
                              1 18 lb. turkey -- fresh are the best
                              12 cups bread stuffing -- your favorite recipe
                              1 stick unsalted butter -- at room temp.
                              salt -- as desired
                              fresh ground black pepper -- as desired
                              2 1/2 quarts stock -- turkey stock; homemade
                              melted unsalted butter -- if needed (use in making gravy)
                              3/4 cup all-purpose flour
                              1/3 cup bourbon -- port, or dry sherry

FOR THE HOMEMADE TURKEY STOCK: Using a heavy cleaver, chop the wings and neck into 2-inch pieces. Using a sharp knife, trim away any membranes from the giblets.

In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. In batches, add the turkey wings, neck, and giblets and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a platter. Add the onion, carrot, and celery to the pot and cook, stirring often, until softened about 6 minutes.

Return the turkey to the pot. Add enough cold water to cover the turkey by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, skimming off the foam that rises to the surface. Add the parsley, they, peppercorns, and bay leaf. Reduce the heat to low.

Cook uncovered at a bare simmer for at least 2 hours. The longer a stock simmers, the butter, up to 12 hours. As needed, add more water to the pot to keep the bones covered. NEVER let stock come to a rolling boil, or it will become CLOUDY and have a less refined flavor. A great ALTERNATIVE to the stove top is to make the stock in a 5 1/2 quart slow cooker. Transfer the browned turkey and vegetable mixture to the cooker, add the herbs, and pour in enough cold water to cover generously. Cook on Low, and the stock will barely simmer all night long, to make a CLEAR delicious stock.

DO NOT add SALT to your stock. The stock is often used in recipes where it must be reduced, and the final dish could end up too salty. To check the stock's flavor, ladle some into a cup season lightly with salt before tasting. Without the salt, the sampling may taste deceptively weak.

Strain the stock through a colander into a large bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes, then skin off the clear yellow fat that rises to the surface. If desired, remove the giblets, cool, finely chop, and refrigerate for use in the gravy. The neck meat can also be handled this way for use in the gravy. Cool the stock completely before refrigerating or freezing. (Turkey stock can be prepared up to 3 days ahead, cooled, covered, and refrigerated. It can also be frozen in an airtight containers for up to 3 months.

AND NOW FOR THE PERFECT TURKEY:

Position a rack in the lowest position of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees.

Reserve the turkey neck and giblets to use in gravy or stock. Rinse the turkey inside and out with cold water. Pat the turkey skin dry. Turn the turkey on its breast. Loosely fill the neck cavity with stuffing. Using a thin wooden or metal skewer, pin the neck skin to the back. Fold the turkey's wings akimbo behind the back or tie to the body with kitchen string. Loosely fill the large body cavity with stuffing. Place any remaining stuffing in a lightly buttered casserole, cover, and refrigerate to bake as a side dish. Place the drumsticks in the hock lock or tie together with kitchen string.

Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in the roasting pan. Rub all over with the softened butter. Season with salt and pepper. Tightly cover the breast area with aluminum foil. Pour 2 cups of the turkey stock into the bottom of the pan.

Roast the turkey, basting all over every 30 minutes with the juices on the bottom of the pan (lift up the foil to reach the breast area), until a meat thermometer inserted in the meaty part of the thigh (but not touching the bone) reads 180 degrees and the stuffing is at least 160 degrees (about 4 1/4 hours). Whenever the drippings evaporate, add stock to moisten them, about 1/2 cups at a time. Remove the foil during the last hour to allow the breast to brown.

Transfer the turkey to a large serving platter and let it stand for at least 20 minutes before carving. Increase the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Drizzle 1/2 cup turkey stock over the stuffing in the casserole, cover, and bake until heated through, about 30 minutes.

1. 2.3. 4.5.6. Meanwhile, pour the drippings from the roasting pan into a heatproof glass bowl or large measuring cup. Let stand for 5 minutes, then skim off and reserve the clear yellow fat that has risen to the top. Measure 3/4 cup fat, adding melted butter if needed. Add enough turkey stock to the skimmed drippings to make 8 cups total.

Place the roasting pan in two stove burners over low heat and add the turkey fat. Whisk in the flour, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan, and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the turkey stock and the optional bourbon. Cook, whisking often, until the gravy has thickened and no trace of raw flour taste remains, about 5 minutes. Transfer the gravy to a warmed gravy boat. Carve the turkey and serve the gravy and the stuffing alongside.

Source:
                              "Copied by Tom Shunick - A Receptarist on the shores of Rehoboth Bay, DE - October 8, 2005"

Comment

Working...
                              X