• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• canning/ green tomato relish

This turn out very nice.

Green Tomato Relish
    Linda McDaniel

"This delicious, tangy relish of green tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, and spices, is perfect with sandwiches, potatoes, cheese, and lots of other entrees. A jar of this makes a great gift, too!"

Original recipe yield:
    12 pints

INGREDIENTS
    24 large green tomatoes
    3 red bell peppers, halved and seeded
    3 green bell peppers, halved and seeded
    12 large onions
    3 tablespoons celery seed
    3 tablespoons mustard seed
    1 tablespoon salt
    5 cups white sugar
    2 cups cider vinegar

DIRECTIONS
    In a grinder or food processor, coarsely grind tomatoes, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, and onions. (You may need to do this in batches.) Line a large colander with cheesecloth, place in sink or in a large bowl, and pour in tomato mixture to drain for 1 hour.

In a large, non-aluminum stockpot, combine tomato mixture, celery seed, mustard seed, salt, sugar, and vinegar. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

Sterilize enough jars and lids to hold relish (12 one-pint jars, or 6 one-quart jars). Pack relish into sterilized jars, making sure there are no spaces or air pockets. Fill jars all the way to top. Screw on lids.

Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with boiling water. Carefully lower jars into pot using a holder. Leave a 2 inch space between jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary, until tops of jars are covered by 2 inches of water. Bring water to a full boil, then cover and process for 30 minutes.

Remove jars from pot and place on cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press top of each lid with finger, ensuring that seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Relish can be stored for up to a year.

Green Tomato Relish

Thanks so much for this recipe! I just picked all the last green tomatoes of the season & was looking for a green tomato relish recipe. I'm the only one who eats fried green tomatoes at home, so this will use up the 50 or so tomatoes in a more practical way, LOL.
    "WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Comment

Green Tomato Relish

5 pounds (10 to 12 medium) green tomatoes
      1 pound onions
      1 cup chopped fresh jalapenos
      2 cups unrefined cider vinegar
      1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
      1/4 cup pickling salt

Prepare 6 (1 pint) canning jars according to manufacturer's directions. Coarsely chop tomatoes, onions and jalapenos in batches in a food processor, and reserve them. Combine vinegar, sugar and salt in a
      stockpot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add vegetables and boil the mixture vigorously for 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon the relish into the prepared jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Process the jars in a water bath for 10 minutes.

Comment

YW. I hope you enjoyed it if you tried it.

Damar, TY for sharing! I will definitely try next year, just saved it.

Comment

Shadow...canned several jars of your green tomato relish a few day ago. I did add alot of jalapeno peppers and garlic to it. Excellant! Thanks much!!!!

Comment

Re: canning/ green tomato relish

Bumping this one...tiz time to make some more!! This is wonderful!!

Comment

Working...
            X