Can this be done safely?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this be done safely?

Can you bake the dressing, then put in crock pot to heat up & keep hot enough?

Re: Can this be done safely?

We do that with mashed potatoes not sure why it would not work with stuffing.

Comment

Every year at work, we have a Thanksgiving pot luck, and one of my co-workers always brings stuffing in the crockpot. It should be fine.

Comment

The past couple of years I've made my bread dressing in the crockpot. Turns out really moist.

Comment

THIS IS TEH CROCKPOT RECIPE OF THE DAY TODAY. THEY JUST MAKE THE DRESSING IN THE CROCKPOT.

Perfect Homemade Stuffing CrockPot Recipe

Posted: 12 Nov 2008 08:15 AM CST

Day 317.

I am so excited I can hardly stop squirming. I grew up on Stove Top stuffing, and was pretty sure I'd never make or come across a gluten-free stuffing that didn't make me want to hurl. (not a very nice image early in the morning, but seriously. The idea had pretty much just been stricken from my imagination.)

Until a few weeks ago and I began planning Thanksgiving-y crockpot recipes and I figured the Internet needed a crockpot stuffing recipe, and if I was going to make one, it'd have to be gluten free, so I might as well just give it a go.

I did it. Yesterday.

and it's good! and I'm not even exaggerating or lying or anything!

eeek!

If you're not gluten-free, go ahead and use your favorite sliced sandwich bread, or a loaf of french bread.

The Ingredients.

--1 loaf of bread, lightly toasted in the oven (I used the pink bag of Food Life brown rice bread)
          --1 large yellow onion, diced
          --1 cup celery, diced
          --1 cup tart apple, peeled and diced
          --1/4 cup butter, melted
          --1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
          --1 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth (and maybe 1/4 cup later if needed)
          --1 T ground sage
          --1 tsp ground marjoram
          --1/2 tsp savory
          --1/2 tsp thyme
          (if you have poultry seasoning in the house, use 1 tablespoon and omit these spices.)
          --1 tsp salt
          --1 tsp pepper

The Directions.

I used a 6 quart crockpot. I'd recommend a big guy, so you have room to toss. If you only have a 4 quart, toss everything well in a very large mixing bowl, then put into your crockpot.

Toast the bread slices in the oven at 300 degrees. I needed to keep the brown rice bread in for about 30 minutes before it was all toasty. Regular bread will toast much quicker, be aware.

While the bread is toasting, chop up the onion, parsley, celery, and apple. Add to crockpot. Add the seasoning, and add melted butter. Stir well.

When the bread is done, cut into 1/2 inch size-or-so cubes.

Add to the crockpot.

Toss very well with the butter, chopped vegetables, and spices. When the bread is coated nicely, pour in 1 1/2 cups of broth.

Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Sweep up the bread crumbs.

When finished, the bread will have browned a bit on the top and around the edges, and it will be hot throughout. It can stay on warm for probably another 2 hours before serving, if needed. Stir. If you'd like it a bit more moist, you can add a 1/4 cup more (or as much as you desire) of broth.

If you'd like to start the day ahead---you can do the bread cubes, and seal in zipper bags, and chop the vegetables and keep separate. Combine as directed the day of your dinner.

The Verdict.

Amazing. In a blind taste-test, I'd never guess this was made with gluten-free bread. Holy toledo.
          My kids don't really like stuffing, but they tried it to be nice.
          yay!
          "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

or, if you want cornbread dressing, this is tonights recipe of the day!

A Year of CrockPotting
            CrockPot Corn Bread Stuffing Recipe

Posted: 13 Nov 2008 08:19 AM CST

Day 318.

Dude. I so love my crockpot. It has gotten me to think out of the box, and I now have a refrigerator full of 2! TWO! kinds of perfect crockpot stuffing.

I think I need to bronze the crockpot after this year.

I've never had cornbread stuffing before, so I turned to the master: Paula Deen.

The Ingredients.

--8 x 8 pan of baked cornbread (I used the Whole Foods 365 brand of GF cornbread mix)
            --4 slices of toasted bread (I used the GF Food food For Life brand in the pink bag)
            --2 cups celery, chopped
            --1 large yellow onion, diced
            --3 beaten eggs
            --1/4 cup butter, melted
            --1 T poultry seasoning
            --1/2 tsp salt
            --1/2 tsp pepper
            --2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable!) --and another 1/4 cup if desired, later

The Directions.

I changed Paula's recipe quite a bit, but tried to keep the basics exactly the same.

I used a 6 quart crockpot. If you only have a 4 quart, toss the stuffing together in a huge mixing bowl, and then transfer to your 4 quart.

Bake the cornbread according to package directions (or by all means, make it by scratch!)

If you have a few days to let it go stale, do that. Other wise, cut into slices and bake at 300 degrees until toasty (along with your bread slices). It took about 30 minutes in my oven.

While the cornbread is toasting, chop up the onion and celery. Put the pieces into your crockpot. Add the seasoning.

Melt butter in the microwave, and mix together with 3 beaten eggs. Stir well into the veggies and seasonings in the crockpot.

Cut the cornbread and toasted bread into cubes, about 1/2 inch square.

Toss the cubes of bread and cornbread well with the ingredients in the crockpot.

Pour in 2 cups of broth. Stir gingerly to combine. The cornbread will break up more than the bread did in the other stuffing, but try to keep a few pieces whole for texture.

Cook on high for 2 hours. This can be on warm successfully for up to 2 hours.

If you'd like a more moist dressing, add another 1/4 cup of broth before serving.

The Verdict.

Tasty. Delicious.
            I think we have a new member at our dinner table this Thanksgiving!
            "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
            X