Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Cookies-What is you all time favorite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Cookies-What is you all time favorite?

What is that most yummy cookie you have to make for Christmas?
    Mary Ann in Wisconsin
    "A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.”

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Re: Christmas Cookies-What is you all time favorite?

Pecan Ball Cookies. Thse are the most luscious cookie balls i've ever had. They beat any Mexican Wedding cookie I've had and that's saying something! (Family Favorite---Grandma, Dad---and me---times 50 plus years!)

Butter, 3 sticks (1-1/2 cups or ¾ of a pound)

Sugar, granulated, 1/3 cup

Salt, 1 teaspoon

Flour, 3 cups

Pecan Meal (finely ground pecans), 12-14 ounces

Vanilla, 2 tablespoons

Mix and shape into balls, approximately one inch in size. Bake about 20 minutes in 350-degree oven on ungreased cookie sheet until edge or bottom are beginning to just take on a bit of color. While still somewhat warm, roll in powdered sugar.
    Makes 5 or five dozen.
    Mary Ann in Wisconsin
    "A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.”

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Comment

I love Scottish shortbread and a good sugar cookie...
      Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Here at our house it is shortbread cookies. Then there is similar to what you call in the US buckeyes. oh! and of course gingerbread cookies!
        A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

[QUOTE=MudderBear;290159]Here at our house it is shortbread cookies. Then there is similar to what you call in the US buckeyes. oh! and of course gingerbread cookies![/QUOTE]

A BALANCED DIET IS A COOKIE IN BOTH HANDS!!!!
          I love it!
          Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

I like these.

Double Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
            3/4 cup sugar
            1/3 cup REESE'S Creamy Peanut Butter or REESE'S Crunchy Peanut Butter
            1 egg
            1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
            1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
            1/2 teaspoon baking soda
            1/4 teaspoon salt
            1 cup REESE'S Peanut Butter Chips

1. Heat oven to 350°F.

2. Beat butter, sugar and peanut butter in large bowl until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in peanut butter chips; drop by scant 1/4 cupfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet, 6 cookies per sheet.

3. Bake 12 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 1 dozen cookies.

Comment

These are our favorites!! We use all kinds of different jams so we have lots of colors and flavors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RASPBERRY ALMOND SHORTBREAD THUMBPRINTS

Taste these buttery thumbprint cookies filled with raspberry preserves and drizzled with an almond glaze. They're special to serve but easy on your baking budget.

Preparation time: 45 min Baking time: 14 min
              Yield: 3 1/2 dozen cookies

Cookie Ingredients:
              1 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened
              2/3 cup sugar
              1/2 teaspoon almond extract
              2 cups all-purpose flour
              1/2 cup raspberry jam**

Glaze Ingredients:
              1 cup powdered sugar
              2 to 3 teaspoons water
              1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract

Combine butter, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add flour. Beat, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Heat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Make indentation in center of each cookie with thumb (edges may crack slightly). Fill each indentation with about 1/4 teaspoon jam.

Bake for 14 to 18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.

Meanwhile, stir together all glaze ingredients in small bowl with wire whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. .

**Substitute 1/2 cup of your favorite flavor jam.

Nutrition Facts (1 cookie): Calories: 90, Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 10mg, Sodium: 45mg, Carbohydrates: 13g, Dietary Fiber: 0g, Protein: 1g

Comment

My family loves these cookies. Last year I didn't make them at Christmas and several were very disappointed. These are very soft. All notes are from the original poster - the original recipe makes a ton, but at the bottm is 1/4 of the recipe - which is what I make. I also use butter flavored crisco, as noted at the bottom.

Suziee
                Amish Buttermilk Cookies

Amish Acres Bakery

4 cups white sugar

4 cups brown sugar

3 cups oleo (margarine)

3 cups buttermilk

12 eggs, beaten

8 t baking soda

8 t baking powder

2 t salt

1 t vanilla

14 cups flour

Cream sugars and oleo. Add eggs and buttermilk. Mix in rest of ingredients. Drop by teaspoon on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 13 minutes.

Icing:

1 pound powdered sugar

2 T oleo (margarine)

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup butter flavored Crisco

1/2 t salt

1 t vanilla

Mix all ingredients together, adding powdered sugar last. Mix well and ice cookies when they have cooled.

1/4 recipe

1 c. white sugar
                1 c. brown sugar
                3/4 c. margarine (I use butter flavored Crisco)
                3/4 c. buttermilk
                3 eggs, beaten
                2 t baking soda
                2 t baking powder
                1/2 t salt
                1 t vanilla
                3-1/2 c. flour

I just wanted to let you know that I ended up using shortening (butter flavored crisco) in the cookies instead of the margarine and real butter in the frosting. I bought them from the Amish Bakery and in their ingredients they listed shortening instead of butter or margarine.

Comment

Gmom: Raspberry Almond Shortbread Thumbprints

Thanks for posting. I'll be making them.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Re: Gmom: Raspberry Almond Shortbread Thumbprints

I've made these for goody trays, they're excellent, and look pretty, too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jam Thumbprints

3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
                    1 cup sugar
                    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
                    3 1/2 cups flour
                    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
                    1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
                    7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
                    Raspberry and/or apricot jam

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
                    In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until just combined, and then add the vanilla. Separately, sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix until the dough starts to come together. Dump on a floured board and roll together into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.

Roll the dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. (If you have a scale, they should each weigh 1-ounce.) Dip each ball into the egg wash and then roll it in coconut. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger. Drop 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each indentation. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the coconut is a golden brown. Cool and serve.

Source: Ina Garten

Comment

A Baltimore caterer shared her recipe with the Baltimore Sun Paper perhaps 30 years ago, and these have been a Christmas "must" at my house ever since. They not only taste good (a brownie type filling in a chocolate crust) but look pretty on a tray.

Black Asti
                      Pastry Shell:
                      1 3/4 c flour
                      1/3 c unsweetened baking cocoa
                      1/4 c sugar
                      1/2 tsp salt
                      2 Tbsp chilled Crisco
                      1 1/4 sticks chilled butter, cut into small pieces
                      1/3 to 1/2 c ice water (as with pie crust or bread, exact amount varies)

In a large bowl sift dry ingredients. Add cold Crisco and butter and cut in (you can pulse in a processor if you prefer; I don't) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs as for pie crust. Gradually add ice water and stir until you have a pliable dough - neither stiff nor mushy. Knead briefly. Divide into four balls and wrap in plastic. Chill for several hours. (Dough can be frozen.)

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350. On lightly floured surface roll one portion of dough at a time to 1/8" working quickly.* Cut with 3" round cutter and place each circle into the cup of ungreased mini tart part. Repeat with remaining dough and set aside while making the filling.

*I usually roll quite thin and can get 6 doz. from this recipe; usual would be 4 doz.

Filling:
                      12 oz semisweet chocolate
                      2/3 c sugar
                      1 tsp almond extract (I don't use a full tsp.)
                      1 tsp vanilla extract
                      2 Tbsp milk
                      2 Tbsp butter
                      2 eggs slightly beaten
                      coarsely ground nuts for garnish (optional)

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water and stir until smooth. Blend in the sugar and then the extracts and milk. Stir briefly. Add butter and stir until melted. The mixture will be slightly grainy - not to worry. Remove from heat and briskly stir in the beaten eggs until blended and mixture is smooth.

Place approximately 1 rounded teaspoon of mixture into each tart and garnish with ground nuts if using. Bake approximately 22-25 minutes. Allow tarts to cool in the pan 10-15 minutes before removing to racks to finishing cooling.
                      These also freeze well after being baked.

Comment

I love making and eating cracker jack cookies. They are so delicious. One year my older brother got ahold of them and he ate 54 of them within a day.

Comment

Oreo Balls are a must-have.

Comment

I love making these:

Million Dollar Macaroons

1 14/15 oz bag shredded coconut
                            1 can sweetened condensed milk
                            1/3 cup flour
                            1 tsp vanilla
                            1 tsp almond flavoring

Mix above ingredients, and shape into balls, place on lightly greased cookie sheet, bake at 350 for 8-10 min. Let cool 1 minute and remove to cool on rack.

Now here is what I do to make them special. I get the 1lb bag of the dark cocoa melts from AC Moore or Michaels and when they are cool, I melt the chocolate and dip the bottoms in the chocolate. Then when they set up, I drizzel the rest of the chocolate in lines over the top.
                            www.freewebs.com/auntanniescakes

I am one of 57 million (who did not vote for BO)

Comment

Working...
                            X