Clear All

• Coll'sCookin Tender Flaky Pie Crust

Coll'sCookin' Posted December 18, 2004 10:05 AM
    Coll's Tender Flaky Pie Crust

2 C all purpose flour (do not sift)
    1 teaspoon salt (I use a bit more)
    1/3 C cold Lard (not Crisco)
    1/3 C cold salted butter
    4-6 Tabls. ice cold water (fill a cup with ice & water)
    1 egg yolk, well beaten - brushed over crust before baking

•Whisk together flour and salt
    •Cut the lard and butter into small pieces. Add to flour mixture with a pastry blender until the size of the lard & butter resemble the size of peas.
    •Add water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, cutting in with pastry blender until the dough begins to hold together. Test by grabbing some with your fingers. Add more water as needed.

*CAREFUL not to add to much water or work the dough too long as this results in a tough crust. Too little water results in a crust that fall apart and tears easily when rolling it out.

•Form dough into a ball, then flatten into a thick pancake between two pieces of plastic wrap or on a lightly floured surface.
    •Starting in the middle of the dough, start rolling, turning the dough while rolling to get an even thickness and size.
    •Place into pie plate, rolling under the edges for crimping. Trim away any excess.
    •Brush edges with beaten egg before baking, fill unbaked crust with desired filling.

**The amounts are doubled for a single crust. I prefer a slightly thicker and larger crust for pretty crimped edges.

**I have mastered making pie crusts in my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer. It's much easier for me than the old fashion way! Ha!
Working...
X