X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet Side Dishes

Oven Baked Zucchini
    posted by Jewels
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was really good! Try it. I may mix the dressing with the crumbs and cheese next time to see if the breading sticks better. And to be honest, i really didn't stick to the ratios..wasn't enough to coat the zucchini.

3 cups (1/4 inch) sliced zucchini (2 large)
    2 TBS fat-free italian dressing
    1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (this is where I used panko crumbs because I like how crisp they bake up compared to breadcrumbs)
    1 TBS grated Parmesan Cheese (I used the shredded Asiago and used a bit more than 1 TBS ...maybe 4!~)
    EVOO

1. Preheat oven to 45o
    2. Combine zucchini and dressing in a bowl (I let mine marinate for 30 min)
    3. Combine crumbs, cheese in a shallow dish. Dredge zucchini in mixture and place on a jellyroll pan lined with foil (of couse I used my new silicone cookie sheet liners)
    4. Drizzle zucchini evenly with EVOO
    5. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes or until crisp and brown (i turned mine after 7 minutes or so.)

OK..the dipping sauce makes a lot, but you can store it for a week.

2 tablespoons mustard or stone ground mustard
    4 tablespoons honey
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1/2 cup light or fat free mayo 1/2 cup lite or fat free sour cream

Mix together in a bowl with wire whisk and serve.
    This is also better if you make it ahead and let it chill out in the fridge.

WW points 5
    Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Triple Sesame Asparagus

1 pound asparagus spears, trimmed
    1 teaspoon white sesame seeds, toasted
    1 teaspoon black sesame seeds, toasted
    1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Place asparagus into a large saucepan of boiling water; cook 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and plunge asparagus into ice water; drain. Combine asparagus, sesame seeds, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl, tossing well to coat.

Yield: 4 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 51(35% from fat); FAT 1.8g (sat 0.2g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 3g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 24mg; SODIUM 235mg; FIBER 2g; IRON 3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 5g
    Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

Cashew Chicken Salad with Mandarin Oranges

Iceberg lettuce holds up well and doesn't wilt or get soggy, even after being tossed with the dressing.

3 tablespoons rice vinegar
      1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
      1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
      1 teaspoon sugar
      2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
      3 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
      1 1/2 cups fresh bean sprouts
      1/2 cup chopped green onions
      2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted cashews
      1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges in light syrup, drained

Combine first 6 ingredients, stirring well with a whisk.
      Combine lettuce and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 2 cups)
      Cashew chicken salad with mandarin oranges = 6 points

NUTRITION PER SERVING
      CALORIES 300(30% from fat); FAT 10.1g (sat 2.6g,mono 4g,poly 2.2g); PROTEIN 33.9g; CHOLESTEROL 94mg; CALCIUM 54mg; SODIUM 588mg; FIBER 2g; IRON 2.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 18g
      Last edited by Chefkel; 01-14-2007, 12:11 PM.
      Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Comment

This is a Tried and True-I really liked them
        Bake-tastic Butternut Squash Fries!
        Source: Hungrygirl.com

(Serving Size: 5oz. of squash cut into fries, calories: 65, fat: 0g, sodium: 6mg, carbs: 16.5, fiber: 4g, sugars: 3g, protein: 1.5g)

Ingredients:
        1/2 butternut squash
        kosher salt

Directions:
        Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Peel and de-seed your butternut squash. If you're unfamiliar with handling these large items, you may have a little trouble at first. They're fairly easy to peel, but you'll need a sharp knife to cut them. Once your orange friend is peeled and without seeds, slice it in half. Then cut it up into french fry shapes. We like to use a crinkle cutter to make authentic looking crinkle cut fries, but they'll work any way you slice 'em. Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Cover lightly with kosher salt (regular salt works, too, but we prefer kosher salt). Place tray in your pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes or so, flipping halfway through baking process. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy.

Serve with ketchup, or however else you enjoy fries or sweet potato fries!
        Nommie

Comment

New Potatoes with Balsamic and Shallot Butter

The balsamic butter mixture is deep brown and tastes delicious. The butter can be made ahead, chilled, and tossed with the potatoes just before serving.

2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
          1/3 cup butter, softened
          3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
          2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
          1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
          1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
          4 pounds small red potatoes
          1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley

Bring vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan; reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to 2 tablespoons (about 10 minutes). Place in a medium bowl, and cool completely. Add butter, chopped shallots, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper; stir well to combine.
          Place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Cut potatoes in half; place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add butter mixture and parsley; toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)
          New potatoes with balsamic & shallot butter = 5 points

NUTRITION PER SERVING
          CALORIES 246(29% from fat); FAT 7.9g (sat 4.9g,mono 2g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 4.6g; CHOLESTEROL 20mg; CALCIUM 34mg; SODIUM 221mg;
          FIBER 3.9g; IRON 2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 39.9g
          Last edited by Chefkel; 01-14-2007, 12:11 PM.
          Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Comment

Apricot-Glazed Roasted Asparagus

Apricot-Glazed Roasted Asparagus

1 pound asparagus spears, trimmed
            Cooking spray
            2 tablespoons apricot preserves
            1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
            1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
            1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400º.
            Place asparagus spears on a foil-lined jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Combine apricot preserves, soy sauce, garlic, and salt; pour preserves mixture over asparagus. Toss well to coat. Bake at 400º for 10 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings
            Apricot glazed asparagus = 1 point

NUTRITION PER SERVING
            CALORIES 58(0.0% from fat); FAT 0.0g (sat 0.0g,mono 0.0g,poly 0.0g); PROTEIN 3g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 28mg; SODIUM 210mg; FIBER 2.6g; IRON 0.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 11.6g
            Last edited by Chefkel; 01-14-2007, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Asparagus and Parmesan Pasta Toss

1 red bell pepper
              1 pound uncooked mostaccioli pasta (I used Fiori, little flowers)
              Cooking spray
              3 garlic cloves -- minced
              2 cups presliced mushrooms (don't like 'em, left them out)
              1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper -- (1/2 to 1)
              1/2 teaspoon salt
              1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
              1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
              1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
              1 can diced tomatoes -- (14.5-ounce) undrained
              2 3/4 cups pieces asparagus (about 12 ounces) -- (1-inch)
              1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan-divided

Preheat broiler.

Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and cut into strips.

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Add mushrooms; cook 4 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Add bell pepper, crushed red pepper, and the next 5 ingredients (through tomatoes). Bring to a simmer; cook for 7 minutes. Stir in asparagus; cook 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Combine mushroom mixture, pasta, and 1/4 cup cheese in a large bowl, tossing well to combine. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese over pasta.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
              CALORIES 124(29% from fat); FAT 4g (sat 1.7g,mono 1g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 7.1g; CHOLESTEROL 10mg; CALCIUM 104mg; SODIUM 456mg; FIBER 3.7g; IRON 2.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 16.5g

Christina Provo
              Cooking Light, MAY 2006
              Nommie

Comment

Asian Noodles

1 5 ounce package of Japenese curly noodles
                1/2 cup thinly slices green onions
                2 TBS low sodium soy sauce
                1 tsp sesame oil

Cook noodle according to package directions, drain well. Combine cooked noodles and remaining ingriedients.

WW=3

Comment

Recipes
                  Rainbow Stir-Fry

From the kitchen of ALLSTAR**

Estimated POINTS® Values Per Serving | 1
                  Servings | 3

Side Dishes | Community built RECIPE

Ingredients

1 tsp oil
                  2 cloves garlic, chopped
                  2 green onions, chopped
                  1 tbs ground ginger
                  1 cup chopped broccoli
                  1 cup purple cabbage, chopped
                  1 red pepper, chopped
                  1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
                  1 cup mandarin oranges segments, halved
                  soy sauce

Instructions

Heat oil in skillet and saute onion(reserving greens) and garlic until lightly browned. Add ginger, a dash of water, and broccoli. steam broccoli until tender, then add cabbage,peppers and frozen corn. stir fry vegetables for 1-2 minutes, then add oranges and soy sauce to taste. Sprinkle onion greens on top. Enjoy!
                  Nommie

Comment

Hope you ladies don't mind. I've calculated the poiints for these recipes. If you would like to add them in each recipe then I will delete this post.i sm using the weight watchers electronic calculator.

Triple sesame asparagus = 1 point

Cashew chicken salad with mandarin oranges = 6 points

Bake tastic butternut squash fries = 1 point

New potatoes with balsamic & shallot butter = 5 points

Apricot glazed asparagus = 1 point

Asparagus & parmesan pasta toss = 2 points
                    I organize chores into catagories.
                    Things I won't do now; things I won't do later; things I'll never do.

Comment

Honey-Chipotle Baked Beans - CL

Cooking spray
                      1/2 cup minced shallots (about 5 ounces)
                      1 tablespoon ground cumin
                      1 tablespoon minced garlic
                      1/2 cup tomato puree
                      1 tablespoon canola oil
                      1/4 cup honey
                      1/4 cup cider vinegar
                      2 tablespoons molasses
                      1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
                      1/4 teaspoon salt
                      2 chipotle chiles, canned in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped
                      2 (28-ounce) cans baked beans

Preheat oven to 300°.
                      Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shallots; sauté 4 minutes or until golden. Add cumin and garlic; sauté for 1 minute. Add tomato puree and oil, and cook for 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Add honey and the next 5 ingredients (through chiles). Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Combine beans and shallot mixture in a 2-quart baking dish. Bake at 300° for 1 hour or until thick and bubbly.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
                      CALORIES 286(7% from fat); FAT 2.2g (sat 0.1g,mono 1.2g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 8.3g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 88mg; SODIUM 709mg; FIBER 9.9g; IRON 2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 54g

Comment

From WW boards-notes are from poster-she also said she put it in an 8x8 pan

Broccoli Casserole
                        8 servings @ 2 points each

10 oz cooked frozen chopped broccoli
                        10 oz velveeta light/2% cheese
                        10 sering butter flavor cooking spray
                        10 ritz reduced fat crackers, crushed

Cook broccoli according to directions and drain. Melt cheese in saucepan and add to broccoli. Stir until blended. Pour into 13x9 pan. Crush crackers and put on top of broccoli mixture. Spray crackers with butter spray. Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

I just felt like there was way too much cheese and not enough broccoli. If/When I make it again I would use a 16 oz bag of broccoli and about 4-6 oz of velveeta. Of course I haven't tasted/eat mine yet because its in the oven now.
                        Nommie

Comment

SOUTHWESTERN EGGROLLS

From the kitchen of MTH38@AOL.COM

Estimated POINTS® Values Per Serving | 3
                          Servings | 8

Side Dishes | Community built RECIPE

Ingredients

1 chicken breast fillet
                          1 tablespoon olive oil
                          2 tablespoons minced green bell pepper
                          2 tablespoons minced green onion
                          1/3 cup frozen corn
                          1/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
                          2 tablespoons frozen spinach, thawed and drained
                          2 tablespoons diced, canned jalapeno peppers
                          1/2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
                          1/2 teaspoon cumin
                          1/2 teaspoon chili powder
                          1/4 teaspoon salt
                          dash cayenne pepper
                          3/4 cup reduced fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
                          8 eggroll wraps

Instructions

Preheat barbecue grill to high heat.

Rub chicken breast with some vegetable oil then grill it on barbecue for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until done. Lightly salt and pepper each side of chicken while it cooks. Set chicken aside until it cools down enough to handle.
                          Preheat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat. Add red pepper and onion to pan and sauté for a couple minutes until tender.
                          Dice cooked chicken into small cubes and add it to pan. Add corn, black beans, spinach, jalapeno peppers, parsley, cumin, chili powder, salt, and cayenne pepper to pan. Cook for another 4 minutes; stir well so that spinach separates and is incorporated into mixture. Remove pan from heat and add cheese; stir until cheese is melted.
                          Spoon approximately one-fifth of mixture into center of a wrap. Fold in ends and then roll wrap over mixture. Roll wrap very tight, then pierce with a toothpick to hold together. Repeat with remaining ingredients until you have eight eggrolls.
                          Arrange eggrolls on a plate, cover plate with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
                          Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until eggrolls seem crispy.
                          AVOCADO RANCH SAUCE FOR EGGROLLS

From the kitchen of MTH38@AOL.COM

Estimated POINTS® Values Per Serving | 1
                          Servings | 8

Sauces | Community built RECIPE

Ingredients

1/4 cup avocado
                          1/4 cup Kraft Miracle Whip Light Salad Dressing
                          1/4 cup light sour cream
                          1 Tbsp buttermilk
                          1 1/2 tsp white vinegar
                          1/8 tsp table salt
                          1/8 tsp dried parsley
                          1/8 tsp onion powder
                          1/8 tsp garlic powder
                          1/8 tsp black pepper

Instructions

Mash fresh avocado and then combine all of ingredients in a small bowl for eggroll dipping sauce.
                          Last edited by nommie; 01-18-2007, 08:54 AM.
                          Nommie

Comment

3 point potato casserole

Isn't this close to Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole?

1 cup = 3 points

1/2 small onion or onion flakes
                            1/2 cup 2% shredded cheddar
                            1 tbsp butter (melted)
                            salt/pepper to taste
                            15 ounces thawed, shredded hashbrowns
                            8 ounces fat-free sour cream
                            1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup

Spray casserole dish with non-stick spray.
                            Mix all ingredients in the casserole dish.
                            Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until potatoes
                            Nommie

Comment

flutterby
                              February 2, 2007, 04:34 PM

Summer Berry Salsa

1 pint fresh blueberries
                              1 pint fresh strawberries, chopped
                              1/4 cup sugar
                              2 Tbsp grated onion
                              1 Tbsp lemon juice
                              1/2 tsp pepper
                              2 drops hot pepper sauce
                              1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds, toasted

In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Just before serving, stir in almonds Serve with chicken, pork or fish. Also good atop a spinach or lettuce salad.

Yield: 4 cups

Nutritional analysis: One 1/4 cup serving equals

42 calories
                              2 mg sodium
                              0 cholesterol
                              8 gm carbohydrate
                              1 gm protein
                              1 gm fat
                              1 gm fiber

Diabetic exchange: 1/2 fruit

Comment

Working...