No announcement yet.

I need help with Ulcer/GERD diet hints!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help with Ulcer/GERD diet hints!

For stomach problems you are told to eat baked/broiled chicken and vegetables. No acidic things like in most fruit juices. No strong spices, hot peppers, etc. No soda. No fats. No prepared foods like baked goods that contain fats. No caffeine, which means no chocolate.

Does anybody have suggestons for what Gerd and ulcer patients CAN have? Other than plain vegetables, steamed rice with boullion and veggies, plain potatoes-no butter or sour cream, and baked or broiled or maybe boiled chicken?

Any tips on what spices can be used?

On the good side, this is probably great for high cholesterol and for weight loss.

Any tips for making a more varied diet? What to stay away from and what CAN be eaten?

One very important thing!Do not eat right before lying down!!!
    Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

True. I've seen warnings about eating. tHEY RANGE FROM from wait 30 minutes after eating before bending over, to don't eat 3 hours before bedtime(Other sources say finish your meal 2 hours before bedtime.) I've been trying 2 hours before bedtime, otherwise, I would have to skip dinner. I've been doing that a lot too.

Amazing what some of the GERD guidelines can do to make you lose weight!

I also just found out thatyou aren't supposed to have hard candy or gum either because you take in extra air and that encourages you to burp, which brings up acid. That used to be my compensation for not eating chocolate. Now, if I can't have chocolate, fats, or hard candy, what does that leave? Merangues and angel food cake? Or do they have too much air?
      Last edited by CarolN; 11-07-2007, 02:36 PM.

Comment

This Is The Info We Have On Bland Diet, It's More What To Avoid.
        Avoid:

Fluids:
        Coffee, Reg And Decaff
        Hot Tea
        Alcohol
        Colas
        Tomato Juice
        Orange Juice
        Grapefruit Juice
        Chocolate
        Not More Than 2 Glasses Of Milk/day

Meats:
        Fried And Greasy Meats
        Hot Spiced Meats

Vegetables:
        Tomato Products
        Onion
        Garlic
        Radishes
        Cucumbers

Friuits:
        Oranges
        Grapefruit
        Lemon

Miscellaneous:
        Pepper
        Hot Spices
        Chocolate
        Nuts
        Excessive Legumes (dried Beans & Peas)
        Aspirin And Aspirin Containing Products
        Tobacco

1. Don't Eat Within 3 Hrs Of Bedtime
        2. Don't Over Eat.
        3. Lose To Ideal Weight.
        4. Do Not Drink From Water Fountains, Use A Glass
        5. Do Not Talk Excessively With Meals
        6. Avoid Constipation
        7. Decaffeinated Cofee Made Through Filter Is Permitted
        8. Decaffeinated Sodas Are Permitted
        9. Raw Tomato Is Permitted.
        10. Dilute Ice Tea Or Decaffeinated Tea Is Permitted.

(this Is What Our Local Gastroenterologist Gave Us As A Bland Diet Info To Give Patients)

Comment

I had the same problem and had to take perscription antacid meds for 3 years. Then someone said "why don't you try Apple cider vinegar"? I thought, how would that work , isn't that too acidic ( and that's what I don't want )...but I did try it. 2 tblsp in an 8oz glass of anything I was drinking, 2 x a day. It worked! It took about 3 days, but it worked and I really can't explain why.
          Can't hurt, try it. And I hope it helps for you too.

Comment

reduce weight

my height is 5.6 inches and my waste is 34. so i want to reduce it and weight so which type of diet help me

[url=http://www.oil-paintings-reproductions.com][b]oil painting reproductions[/b][/url]

Comment

Re: I need help with Ulcer/GERD diet hints!

I had to go on this diet for a short while, try some of these foods:

cottage cheese and fruit (together)
              yogurt
              eggs w/cheese (throw in a few non-acid veggies for omelet)

Best of luck!

Comment

The vinegar worked because certain acids (vinegar) counteract other acids (stomach acid). I've used vinegar for upset tummy for a long time now.

Comment

I was going to suggest the apple cider vinegar too. It works.

Comment

This Is The Info We Have On Bland Diet, It's More What To Avoid.
                    Avoid:

Fluids:
                    Coffee, Reg And Decaff
                    Hot Tea
                    Alcohol
                    Colas
                    Tomato Juice
                    Orange Juice
                    Grapefruit Juice
                    Chocolate
                    Not More Than 2 Glasses Of Milk/day

Meats:
                    Fried And Greasy Meats
                    Hot Spiced Meats

Vegetables:
                    Tomato Products
                    Onion
                    Garlic
                    Radishes
                    Cucumbers

Friuits:
                    Oranges
                    Grapefruit
                    Lemon

Miscellaneous:
                    Pepper
                    Hot Spices
                    Chocolate
                    Nuts
                    Excessive Legumes (dried Beans & Peas)
                    Aspirin And Aspirin Containing Products
                    Tobacco

1. Don't Eat Within 3 Hrs Of Bedtime
                    2. Don't Over Eat.
                    3. Lose To Ideal Weight.
                    4. Do Not Drink From Water Fountains, Use A Glass
                    5. Do Not Talk Excessively With Meals
                    6. Avoid Constipation
                    7. Decaffeinated Cofee Made Through Filter Is Permitted
                    8. Decaffeinated Sodas Are Permitted
                    9. Raw Tomato Is Permitted.
                    10. Dilute Ice Tea Or Decaffeinated Tea Is Permitted.

(this Is What Our Local Gastroenterologist Gave Us As A Bland Diet Info To Give Patients)

Comment

I struggled with Acid Reflux for years. Now, I take Omeprazole, (generic of Prevacid, found at Walmart) and I eat what ever I want. Except Orange Juice. That is a mental thing! I just can't imagine drinking it ever again, so I don't. I had acid reflux so bad, that I could get up out of bed, drink a sip of water, and be in pain. I was on prescription Prevacid, Prilosec, Nexium, etc. and they all worked fine, but even with insurance, were very expensive. So, I found the generic that I was getting anyway at Walmart, and it is cheaper and works like a charm. Good Luck!
                      Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I was diagnosed with an ulcer in January and went to 3 doctors and was prescribed 3-4 medications that would work for a little while and then would stop working. I took Prilosec for awhile too because it was working better than the prescribed meds, but those stopped working too. I would go 7-8 days with heartburn and things started to get more and more serious. I was taking 8-10 pills a day and nothing was working.

I have some friends that are into raw foods and they informed me that I had an enzyme deficiency and suggested to take some enzyme vitamins, stay away from all processed foods and start a raw foods diet immediately. The next day, I woke up with heartburn and took one of the enzyme pills. Within an hour my heartburn was going away. I started a raw foods diet and that's when the healing begun.

When you think raw foods, you're probably thinking that all you'll be eating is carrot sticks and celery the rest of your lives. That's not true. You'd be amazed on some of the recipes that have been created. I guarantee that once you begin eating a raw foods diet, you'll want to do it everyday.

I'm not 100% raw foods and I still eat cooked foods and meat from time to time. But I usually do about 75% raw foods throughout the day. I no longer have to take medication anymore and I feel great.

Also remember to still stick to the "foods to avoid" list while eating raw foods. You wouldn't want to get a raw foods plate that has chili peppers in it or something you know will cause you problems.

Comment

[QUOTE=MaryKV;209904]I had the same problem and had to take perscription antacid meds for 3 years. Then someone said "why don't you try Apple cider vinegar"? I thought, how would that work , isn't that too acidic ( and that's what I don't want )...but I did try it. 2 tblsp in an 8oz glass of anything I was drinking, 2 x a day. It worked! It took about 3 days, but it worked and I really can't explain why.
                          Can't hurt, try it. And I hope it helps for you too.[/QUOTE]

I have acid reflux/gerd. I tried the Apple cider vinegar once, Never again! It is not for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                          X