Butter Pecan Ice Cream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butter Pecan Ice Cream

This is really good we've been making it for a few years. A friend found it in a Better Homes and Garden Mag.

16 servings (about 2 quarts ice cream) Prep: 20 minutes
    Freeze: according to ice cream maker manufacturer?s directions
    Ingredients
    1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons butter
    4 cups half-and-half or light cream
    2 cups packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon vanilla
    4 cups whipping cream
    Ice
    Rock salt

Directions
    1. In a heavy 8-inch skillet combine pecans, sugar, and butter. On the range top heat mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 6 to 8 minutes or until sugar melts and turns a rich brown color.

2. Remove from heat and spread nuts on a buttered baking sheet or foil; separate into clusters and cool. Break clusters into small chunks.

3. In a large mixing bowl combine half-and-half, brown sugar, and vanilla; stir until sugar is dissolved.

4. Stir in the whipping cream. Freeze cream mixture in a 4- to 5-quart ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer?s directions, using crushed ice and rock salt. Stir in pecan mixture.* Ripen 4 hours. Makes 16 servings (2 quarts).

Note: Stirring the pecan mixture into the thickened ice cream mixture just before ripening prevents the nuts from wrapping around the paddle.

Re: Butter Pecan Ice Cream

I'm ready for a bowl right now!!! Thanks

Comment

I found the original recipe with photos:

[IMG]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g199/Shunick/ButterPecanIceCreamBHandGardens.jpg[/IMG]
      http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g199/Shunick/ButterPecanIceCreamBHandGardens.jpg

Can't wait to try it.

Comment

I love butter pecan ice cream, saved recipe if we ever get a ice cream maker will make this first thanks

Comment

How does it stay white with the brown sugar....just wondering.

Comment

thee brown sugar is part of the pecan mixture, it hardens like a praline so it doesn't dissolve in the ice cream.

Comment

[QUOTE=jackibowen;249423]thee brown sugar is part of the pecan mixture, it hardens like a praline so it doesn't dissolve in the ice cream.[/QUOTE]

jacki, the recipe as written combines the brown sugar in the ice cream base, is that correct? Sounds so good, can't wait to try it. TY.

Comment

Yes I was wrong before when I said it went into the pecan mixture it goes into the cream mixture but I don't remember the ice cream looking real brown.

Comment

To Me It Looks Like You Make It Your "praline" Then When Your Ice Cream Is Almost Done, Put The Praline Mix In. So It Doesn't "combine" With The Ice Cream

Comment

[QUOTE=jackibowen;249449]Yes I was wrong before when I said it went into the pecan mixture it goes into the cream mixture but I don't remember the ice cream looking real brown.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Comment

Personally it doesnt matter to me if the cream is white ...some of the best pecan ice cream I've ever had wasnt totally white in color and tasted very rich.

Now I want butter peacan ice cream LOL

Comment

[QUOTE=wishingstar;249459]Personally it doesnt matter to me if the cream is white ...some of the best pecan ice cream I've ever had wasnt totally white in color and tasted very rich. [/QUOTE]

I agree! Mmmmm, ice cream!

Comment

Working...
                        X