1/2 c evaporated milk
    1 c. dry pancake mix (any kind)
    2 Tbsp cornmeal
    1 Tsp salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    Oil for frying
    *I personally like to add some Old Bay

Drain oysters and reserve liquor.

In a bowl mix milk, pancake mix, cornmeal, S&P. Gently stir in oysters. Batter is thick.

Heat oil and drop batter by Tbspful making sure there is oyster in each portion. Cook until brown on one side 1-2 minutes. Turn carefully and brown the other side. Drain on paper towels or brown paper bag.

***If batter becomes too thick on standing, thin with some of the oyster liquor.

Re: Maryland Eastern Shore oyster fritters

I love oysters, may have to make me some of these this weekend!!!

Comment

I might have to try these this weekend as well.. I googled images of these and they look delicious.. ((drool)).. is there any particular kind of dipping sauce MD'ers would typically use for these?

Comment

[QUOTE=kiop;253146]I might have to try these this weekend as well.. I googled images of these and they look delicious.. ((drool)).. is there any particular kind of dipping sauce MD'ers would typically use for these?[/QUOTE]

Hey Pal!! Good to see you. Saw graduation photos.

Usual cocktail sauce - catsup, horseradish to taste, squeeze of fresh lemon juice and maybe a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.

Comment

You mean the graduation video.. yeah, but I took it down to re-work - I bought a NEW video editing package and can't wait to play with it.. it will allow me to edit the high-def version, straight out of the camera without having to convert it to wmv and lose half the quality.. so burning to DVD after editing will retain all the high-def quality, I'm so happy.. But all the others I'm leaving, no way can I re-do all them. Live and learn.. I'll take this to email..
          Last edited by kiop; 06-20-2008, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Those sound sooo good! Love oysters here! But theyre almost $14.00 a pint here these days! So at that price I may have to wait till I hit the lottery!

Comment

MEW, nice seeing your finger print here again. As you may remember I lived in the Baltimore are from 1972 to 2002 and was introduced to J.O. Seafood Seasonings as opposed to Old Bay. I like it so much better. J.O. is a Baltimore outfit.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g199/Shunick/JOSeafoodSeasoning.jpg
              J. O. Spice Company

JO #1 Seasoning, JO #2 Seasoning, Crab Cake Mix & More

For over 60 years, the J. O. Spice Company of Baltimore has been supplying seasonings to consumers and seafood restaurants worldwide. Almost 90% of the Crab Houses get their seafood seasonings from J.O.! The preferred seasoning for steaming Maryland's famous blue crabs.

Comment

What fun to encounter both of guys here on the same thread. Small world sometimes.

I do know J. O.; a friend's DIL used to work for them. I guess because I grew up with the Old Bay, I still prefer it. Old habits die hard.

Comment

Love Old Bay.. it was used on the crabs you had at your crab feast that I attended, wasn't it? I don't have too many seafood recipes that use it though..

Comment

Right you are Steve. Hey, I often season flour with it when frying chicken or pork chops and occasionally even will use some in macaroni salad.

Comment

The recipe sounds yummy. I grew up in Ocean City but live in Texas now. I try and get back whenever I can. First place I head is to the boardwalk to have Thrasher's french fries.

Comment

I love oysters and fritters - sounds like a great combo.
                        "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

How much Old Bay do you think you would use in these? Recipe sounds delicious!
                          Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

I don't measure, so maybe start with just 1 tsp., cook just a tiny dollop of the batter and see if that's to your taste.

Comment

Thanks Mew! I will definitely try this!
                              Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Working...
                              X