Sauerkraut Salad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sauerkraut Salad

I moved this from RTT. It is really good. If you like the coleslaw made with the vinegar/sugar/oil. You'll love this. Not real tart, but more tart than the coleslaw. I'll use purple onion next time to help the contrast of the colors.

Sauerkraut salad

1 large can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped bell pepper
    1 small jar pimentos
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil

Mix together and chill overnight.
    Attached Files

Re: Sauerkraut Salad

I haven't made this years. It always look pretty on a buffet table.

Comment

Wow, sounds and looks wonderful! I will be trying this one soon! I hope it won't matter too much if I leave the pimentos out.. Pimentos weird me out. I don't know why...Maybe I could sub some finely chopped red pepper for color?
      Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the pimentos are there more for color. Use red bell pepper like you said. That would be good. My mom wouldn't let me bring the little bit left over home, she kept it! lol

Comment

Never thought about a chilled kraut salad...this sounds very good! Thanks!

Comment

[QUOTE=LaurenB;256683].. Pimentos weird me out. I don't know why...[/QUOTE]

Is it because they have same texture as a snail if you were to pull it out of its shell using tweasers?

Comment

[QUOTE=kiop;256808]Is it because they have same texture as a snail if you were to pull it out of its shell using tweasers?[/QUOTE]

So you were into torturing animals as a child!!! naughty naughty!!

Comment

That looks great! I really enjoy sauerkraut salads. I will definitely try this. TY

Comment

bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Im glad you bumped this up Nu! Thanks
                    My Grandmother LOVED this recipe and so do we. I forgot about Kraut Salad. Seeing this brings back many good memories.
                    I like it on hot dogs too.
                    Now I need to make some.....
                    Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

I am going to give this one a try! Thanks!
                      Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dang! I forgot about this one! I will have to write it down so I will remember to try it! Still sounds awesome!
                        Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I made a half recipe of this just in case I hated it -- but I loved it, and everyone I had take a taste really liked it too. I have been asked to make it for our church barbecue this weekend. It's so much easier than making cole slaw!

Comment

[QUOTE=Grammyofeleven;337323]I made a half recipe of this just in case I hated it -- but I loved it, and everyone I had take a taste really liked it too. I have been asked to make it for our church barbecue this weekend. It's so much easier than making cole slaw![/QUOTE]

USE THE SAME INGREDIENTS EXCEPT USE A BAG OR REDI-MADE COLESLAW MIX INSTEAD OF THE SAUERKRAUT. REALLY GOOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X